PDA

View Full Version : Stereo shuts down at certain volume

bortok
05-04-2012, 01:15 PM
I bought a 1992 prostar 190 two summers ago, and it came with a stereo installed. It only has four speakers and the head unit running off the boat battery. When I turn the stereo up to a certain volume it will automatically shut off. Anyone know why it could be doing this? I assume it is some sort of safety feature to protect the stereo. Any ideas how to fix it?

helton333
05-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Could be a couple things, I have experienced similar things on a former 1989 PS. Off my experience, the first thing I would do is check the battery (volt meter) - a slightly discharged battery will do this, and progressively get worse if you are running it off the battery without the boat running. Could be a ground - I ran a new ground from my head unit to the engine block grounding post (same as where the battery ground terminates). Could be the head unit but my gut would be likely not. I assume it does not have an amp - if it did, you would definately want to look at that to check the voltage it is getting. Are you certain it doesn't have an amp? If all speakers cut out at the same time, has to be one of those. I am no expert, but I have walked that walk -

helton333
05-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Oh, if the unit itself is shutting off, definately sounds like a drop in voltage at the battery. Sure someone else will chime in. At higher volumn, high output head units seem to be extrememly (like amps) sensitive to voltage drop -

Kyle
05-04-2012, 02:02 PM
I had the same issues with mine at first.

The power and ground wires going to the dash are piggy backed over and over again and voltage is a problem.

I ran different power and ground sources to mine and that fixed the head unit problem.

Now if you are running amps and all the extras, then there is other possibilities that could be wrong.

bortok
05-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll have to check the power and ground wires.

Cloaked
05-17-2012, 12:23 AM
I bought a 1992 prostar 190 two summers ago, and it came with a stereo installed. It only has four speakers and the head unit running off the boat battery. When I turn the stereo up to a certain volume it will automatically shut off. Anyone know why it could be doing this? I assume it is some sort of safety feature to protect the stereo. Any ideas how to fix it?As stated previously, rewire your power and ground. I just solved this same issue today on a friend's boat. His battery was almost dead, thus the volume increase was demanding too much for what little was left of the battery. Charger was placed on the battery for a recharge, issue resolved. Strill related to a drop or low power.