PDA

View Full Version : 92 Prostar 190

T-bone
05-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Hi Guys - looking for opinions on price.

- It has the 285 HP 351 Ford, over 1000 hours.
- Oil changed every 50 hours with Mobil 1. Current owner says it still runs strong.
- Does NOT have the Powerslot.
- No Perfect Pass or bimini.
- Needs new cover.
- Needs shower & heater repairs.
- Teak swim platform is cracked from someone dropping a 180 lb slalom course anchor on it.
- Interior is dirty and a bit faded, but from the pictures it looks like it is in decent shape for a 20 year old boat. I can't tell if there are any rips or tears.
- Decals all look like they need to be replaced.
- According to the owner, the gelcoat has some oxidation and needs a good buffing. There are a few nicks in the corners of the gel. I can't tell the extent from the pictures.
- The trailer has some rust, especially the prop guard cross member, but overall looks road worthy.

I'm planning on looking at it this weekend but it's quite a drive, so I'd like to get a feel for what I should offer if it looks decent in person. At a minimum I would need to add a bimini for my Irish skin and would also like to add Perfect Pass as I ski the course often, so I'm budgeting around $2K for those upgrades. Any advice will be much appreciated!

CantRepeat
05-04-2012, 10:49 AM
I'd say between 7 and 9k and only 9 if it turns out to be on the better side of what you describe. I'd also say look for something better.

O2BESOHUGE
05-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Do You Have Pics?

Lumbergh
05-04-2012, 11:55 AM
... I'd also say look for something better.

Just my .02.

I would not pay more than $6k for that description.

I have seen many decent 91-94 PS190 for $8-9k in better shape than you described. But boat markets are local, maybe there is not much inventory in your area.

Good luck in your search! There are lots of boats out there and patience pays.

T-bone
05-04-2012, 11:57 AM
A few pictures attached. Tough to tell too much from looking at them. I'm looking for a 91-94 just to ski the course. Budget is very limited as this will be adding a 2nd MasterCraft to the fleet. :)

I'm very picky with my stuff as most of you guys are as well, so I'm not sure I'd be happy with it in the condition it's in. I'd end up going through it completely and cleaning/fixing everything.

CantRepeat
05-04-2012, 12:07 PM
All of the lighter colored vinyl is from people sitting on it with sun screen on. It will not come out.

I wouldn't go much over the 7k area for it.

east tx skier
05-04-2012, 04:42 PM
I'd say between 7 and 9k and only 9 if it turns out to be on the better side of what you describe. I'd also say look for something better.

Exactly what I was thinking. The rust on the trailer can be fixed. Check the brake reservoir. If it's dry, there's a good chance the lines are rusted. The gelcoat fade and decals can be fixed and repalced, too.

Insist on a long test drive. Run it good, shut it down a bit, then idle about. If the idle stinks, say hello to the Holley 4010. :)

Could be a great boat if the price is right.

mikeg205
05-04-2012, 05:02 PM
180 pound anchor dropped on swim platform? Take a good close look at the platform hardware and where its attached to the transom. 10000 hours? get an oil sample and send it to http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ to see how the boat is wearing. Only $25 for results... http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php... just my .02. Engine pictures?

Footin
05-04-2012, 05:42 PM
I would say 7k is at the high end.....keep lookin.

T-bone
05-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to keep looking. I talked to the owner on the phone again and said with the needed repairs I'd only be will to spend $6K. He said he needs to get $8K cash.

Cloaked
05-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to keep looking. I talked to the owner on the phone again and said with the needed repairs I'd only be will to spend $6K. He said he needs to get $8K cash.Your call but I think you have offered all I'd be willing to pay. Opinion of $6,000 with the needed or preferred repair for a nice boat that would otherwise bring the $8 - 9K. The 92 model tricked out with options already installed (tower, stereo, etc.... would go as much as $11K. Skidog has a nice 92 for sale that is turn-key ready.

Give $8K and sink another $2k which will turn into $3K. Now you're into the sunken cost investments. $6,500 tops.... But there again, I always look to the low side.

mikeg205
05-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Your call but I think you have offered all I'd be willing to pay. Opinion of $6,000 with the needed or preferred repair for a nice boat that would otherwise bring the $8 - 9K. The 92 model tricked out with options already installed (tower, stereo, etc.... would go as much as $11K. Skidog has a nice 92 for sale that is turn-key ready.

Give $8K and sink another $2k which will turn into $3K. Now you're into the sunken cost investments. $6,500 tops.... But there again, I always look to the low side.

Cloaked - did you use the term investment referring to a boat?....lol... :) :D sorry could not resist

T-bone
05-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Skidog - is your boat still for sale? I've seen it in the Marketplace, but figured it was sold by now.

Jerseydave
05-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Skidog - is your boat still for sale? I've seen it in the Marketplace, but figured it was sold by now.

Send him a PM, but I'm pretty sure it's still for sale. Sweet boat IMHO.

Starshack
05-07-2012, 05:28 PM
I would buy the nice one on the west coast and have it shipped.