PDA

View Full Version : Removing Depth Finder Transducer

jhall0711
05-04-2012, 12:42 AM
Hey guys, made an oooppps and thought someone may have an easy solution. I installed a Humminbird depth finder with a thru hull puck transducer in my 89 190. Trying to find the flatest spot possible I decided to place it in front of the bilge pump through the access hole under the observers seat. What I failed to consider is that that section of the hull spends the majority of the time out of the water.... DOH!... So I need to remove it but really have no room to get in there with a chisel oe BFH. I need to relocate to a better spot that is actually in the water while on plane. Anyone know any solvent that would loosen the slow cure epoxy to aid in removal???

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I know it cant be too strong or it could cause damage to hull.

CantRepeat
05-04-2012, 06:20 AM
The only thing I could think of would be a dremel with a cut off wheel on it. Also, what about getting a fine tooth hack saw blade and bending one end of it up and putting a bunch of tape on it so you can hold the end. Then lay the blade flat on the boat and saw underneath the epoxy? I'm thinking cutting or grinding it away is the only way you're going to remove it.

Short of that, you'd probably be better of just getting a new transducer. I'm thinking by the time you got through the slow cure epoxy the transducer is going to pretty mangled and not work.