PDA

View Full Version : Is this really where my bilge exhaust hose...

catamount
05-03-2012, 09:26 PM
...is supposed to be?

Just pulled up the floor in my '87 for the first time to grease the 3 zerk fittings and noticed that the bilge exhaust hose looks a little off. Is this really how it's supposed to be sitting?

It seems, due to the other zip tie, that it should extend up towards the engine a bit more.

Any expert advice before I button her back up?

http://i.imgur.com/usjQA.jpg

Lumbergh
05-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Should go all the way to front of engine. The blower should be mounted somewhere near front of engine with a fume pickup and connect to the blower hose you have there.

Get some more blower hose (like $10 at amazon) and a 3" pvc coupler and some zip ties/tape to put it all back together...

catamount
05-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Grrrrr. I ordered some blower hose from skidim about a month ago for the heater. I wish I knew about this back then.

Could you describe what the fume pickup looks like? The blower actually looks like it's on top of the gas tank on the other end of this hose.

Lumbergh
05-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Perhaps that is how it should be mounted on your 87?

The 91-94 blower is under alternator, with a pickup and blows fumes aft all the way to the dual outlets on stern.

sp00ky
05-04-2012, 12:27 AM
...is supposed to be?

Just pulled up the floor in my '87 for the first time to grease the 3 zerk fittings and noticed that the bilge exhaust hose looks a little off. Is this really how it's supposed to be sitting?

It seems, due to the other zip tie, that it should extend up towards the engine a bit more.

Any expert advice before I button her back up?

http://i.imgur.com/usjQA.jpg

Yep it's been cut for sure should extend to the top of the stern.

catamount
05-04-2012, 06:51 AM
Sorry to be a pest, but can you elaborate on what you mean by "bottom of the stern"? I'm just trying to get a measurement on how much hose I need to order.

Does it simply sit near the bottom of the transmission? Is the blower really supposed to live above the gas tank? I want to correct any errors that could've been made by the previous owner and I can't really seem to find any pictures of this online anywhere.

mayo93prostar
05-04-2012, 07:28 AM
cat, I have owned a 82, 87, and 93 and I believe the blower is above the gas tank on the 87. I know for sure it was on the 82. The blower is below the alternator on the 93. The key function of the blower is to get gas fumes away from the starter to avoid ignition of the fumes and an explosion. I recommend you extend the hose up to the side of the engine by the starter. I have seen some installations with pvc pipe tie wrapped to the muffler in the area by the drive shaft to avoid the hose getting caught on the drive shaft coupler. If you order or buy 10 feet you should have plenty. I recommend replacing the old hose and connect the new to the blower. The way it is now is essentially working because it draws the fumes out of the bilge. However, it could be better and cleaner.

catamount
05-04-2012, 09:17 AM
I am just noticing that in glassmaster's 1987 restoration his hose ends in just about the same spot.

http://i.imgur.com/6JpPt.jpg

thatsmrmastercraft
05-04-2012, 09:27 AM
The blower motor is mounted above the fuel tank on my '77 as well, for whatever that is worth. The hose ends just behind the starter.

catamount
05-04-2012, 09:44 AM
The blower motor is mounted above the fuel tank on my '77 as well, for whatever that is worth. The hose ends just behind the starter.

Thank you! I'm going to extend my hose up to that area and call it a day. Appreciate your help!

thatsmrmastercraft
05-04-2012, 09:47 AM
It probably doesn't matter too much exactly where the hose ends. With the floor in place, that hose will remove any fumes in the area.

Tomi
05-04-2012, 02:03 PM
I always thought these hoses are to supply air for the engine. At least mine has two hoses coming from rear to supply air for the engine and one for blower to vent.