View Full Version : Nothing but Butts

CantRepeat
05-03-2012, 03:26 PM
7 hours to smoke them!

oxberger
05-03-2012, 03:34 PM
7 hours to smoke them!

Awesome!8p And the secret recipe for those bad boys is... :popcorn:
Of course I know any good chef will not reveal their secret, but what wood are you using?

oxberger
05-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Oh and with the title of this thread, you're going to have A LOT of views I'm sure.:D

GT500 MC
05-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Those look good....making me real hungry...

mzimme
05-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Oh and with the title of this thread, you're going to have A LOT of views I'm sure.:D

On that note, I opted to open this thread on my phone rather than my work computer haha. I was disappointed. You're fired cantrepeat.

CantRepeat
05-03-2012, 03:44 PM
On that note, I opted to open this thread on my phone rather than my work computer haha. I was disappointed. You're fired cantrepeat.

Only a man that hasn't tasted my butts would say such a thing!! :D

pmkkdx
05-03-2012, 04:05 PM
guessing pork butts? I do a killer pork butt roast on my big pit using fruit wood (peach, pecan, pear, etc.) water soaked for extra heavy smoke ... dang, now I'm hungry

DemolitionMan
05-03-2012, 04:07 PM
What time is dinner.:D

CantRepeat
05-03-2012, 04:27 PM
I've got a few cords of 3 year seasoned oak that I use along with some apple. My only tip with butts is before you put on the dry rub smother the butts with black label mustard. It helps the rub stick and makes such a wonderful crusty layer softens the smoke flavor.

As for the dry rub, I'm gonna hold on to that one. I will, however, give up a great yellow mustard sauce if anyone wants it. It's very basic but great on butts, deep fried fish and chicken.

Tri4X2
05-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Haven't smoked those in a few years... Im with Cantrepeat here... rub'em down with some good mustard.. and then season

CantRepeat
05-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Took almost 9 hours to get them to 175 degrees.

pmkkdx
05-03-2012, 05:06 PM
I do a hand blended dry rub but coat the meat with extra virgin olive oil prior to applying rub, then make a sop that I apply throughout the smoking process every hour or so (I also put the sop in the smoker to add that true smokeyness) ... when done smoking, I can then add some tomato sauce & a little brown sugar into the sop for a nice rich BBQ dipping sauce.

I hadn't thought about using mustard though ... hmmm might give that a try sometime.

here is a couple of pictures of my pit ... use charcoal to get it started, then add soaked wood for smoke.

snork
05-03-2012, 05:11 PM
I do a hand blended dry rub but coat the meat with extra virgin olive oil prior to applying rub, then make a sop that I apply throughout the smoking process every hour or so (I also put the sop in the smoker to add that true smokeyness) ... when done smoking, I can then add some tomato sauce & a little brown sugar into the sop for a nice rich BBQ dipping sauce.

I hadn't thought about using mustard though ... hmmm might give that a try sometime.

here is a couple of pictures of my pit ... use charcoal to get it started, then add soaked wood for smoke.

Now thats what I call a Smoker

CantRepeat
05-03-2012, 05:21 PM
In my area, you generally wont get tomato/brown sugar type sauces. The KC/Texas style sauces are few and far between.

I too used to go all out on my BBQ but slowed down when I was deployed.

I built a nice smoker a long time ago but have since gone to a smaller model. At some point, I'll build a bigger model of it.

http://www.mikesell.net/smoker/images/turkey.jpg

http://mikesell.net/smoker/images/turkey.jpg

CantRepeat
05-03-2012, 05:25 PM
I know there are a bunch of folks on here that BBQ/smoke/grill so I guess we should start up an "official" thread.

Slinkyredfoot
05-03-2012, 06:29 PM

Me included, thought something completely different but nothing like a good looking tasty butt. Never have seen something so ugly taste so good! :D

oxberger
05-04-2012, 07:32 AM
Me included, thought something completely different but nothing like a good looking tasty butt. Never have seen something so ugly taste so good! :D

I guess ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I just see a little bit of heaven in those. :D

pmkkdx
05-04-2012, 08:48 AM
In my area, you generally wont get tomato/brown sugar type sauces. The KC/Texas style sauces are few and far between.

I too used to go all out on my BBQ but slowed down when I was deployed.

I built a nice smoker a long time ago but have since gone to a smaller model. At some point, I'll build a bigger model of it.

http://www.mikesell.net/smoker/images/turkey.jpg

http://mikesell.net/smoker/images/turkey.jpg

Is that built out of regular metal barrels? I like the design concept for minimizing space for indirect heat, plus gets the work surface up higher! Only problem I have run into making out of barrels is they tend to burn out fairly quick.

FYI ... I don't use any tomato or sugars in my cooking sauce, only afterwards for a dipping sauce for those that like a sauce ... cooking/sop sauce is a very old family recipe passed down numerous generations dating way back, tweaked by each generation a bit due to more modern conveniences.

pmkkdx
05-04-2012, 08:50 AM
I know there are a bunch of folks on here that BBQ/smoke/grill so I guess we should start up an "official" thread.

agree! I have photo documented several of my recipes over the past couple of years ... might give some of ya'll some ideas for future reference.

CantRepeat
05-04-2012, 08:55 AM
I lined the bottom barrel with fire bricks. They help stop heat loss out the bottom and keep the bottom barrel from burning out. I used it for six or seven years and then gave it to a friend before I moved up to Campbell and deployed. I knew I wouldn't get any use out of for a long while and didn't want it to go unused.

http://www.mikesell.net/smoker/images/bricks.jpg

CantRepeat
05-04-2012, 08:57 AM
BTW nice smoker. I was looking at one just like it at the Bass Pro Shop in AL.

pmkkdx
05-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Now thats what I call a Smoker

yep ... I hand picked that one when I had my MC trailer in having an axle replaced by a local trailer manufacturer, Magnum, where they cut me a deal since I was spending a bunch already with trailer repairs. ~700 lbs worth but I have cooked up to 15 full packer style briskets at once on it with a bit more room to spare. I wanted the next size up that was trailer mounted but my wife poopoo'd that idea

pmkkdx
05-04-2012, 09:09 AM
BTW nice smoker. I was looking at one just like it at the Bass Pro Shop in AL.

thanks! mine is a Lyfe Tyme brand made down in south TX that comes with a life time warranty ... http://www.lyfetyme.com/index.html

fire brick in the bottom of the barrels is a great idea (my dad used to do that).

oxberger
05-04-2012, 09:18 AM
I have an old boss that built his smoker using the frame and parts from an old electric car. I need to try and find the pictures and post them. He trailered it to use for church cookouts and other things so it still had axles, tires, working headlights, tail lights, and turn signals. He would put 40 lbs of brisket, 50 lbs of pork but, and then chicken wherever room was left. For the brisket he didn't do anything special other than salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and onion powder, then he wood use mesquite only (he was a Texan, even had a longhorn mounted to the front of the smoker).

CruisinGA
05-04-2012, 10:32 AM
I've used plenty of big trailer smokers, but for just a couple butts, it is impossible to beat a Big Green Egg.

Set it, and forget it.

If you want 17lb butts with nice thick fat caps, google Brasstown Beef (they do pork too). Their pigs are are natural, free range and beat the hell out of your average pork.

gatorguy
05-04-2012, 01:42 PM
agree! I have photo documented several of my recipes over the past couple of years ... might give some of ya'll some ideas for future reference.

That would be nice to see. I am actually going to try smoking a brisket tomorrow after my morning ski set. Haven't ever done it before, and I'm trying to use my regular gas grill. Read a bunch of stuff on how to do it, but more info is always better.

I have 2 4lb brisket off of a beef we bought. I think it is a packer (both flat and point) but seems kind of small, although it was a small steer. I figured it should take 4-5hrs to cook. I was going to rub with oil, then with Rudy's rub tonight, then fire them up around noon tomorrow. I have a bunch of mesquite wood chips I was going to soak in water tonight, and then put in a tin foil pouch over the burner on one end of the grill for my smoke, and place the brisket on the other end fat up. I have an electric meat thermometer I planned to use to control heat with. I was also thinking after the first couple of hours I would cover with foil to help get through "The Stall" (per http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html )

Anyway, I'm excited to start learning this stuff, and plan to invest in a real smoker/grill like the one pictured earlier.

So any suggestions or major don'ts would be helpfull

pmkkdx
05-04-2012, 03:39 PM
one of the most comprehensive on-line summations about brisket preparation & cooking is http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html ... with sub links that discuss other fine points that you will find over time like "the stall" http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html ... which can be beat by the Texas Crutch which is wrapping the meat in aluminum foil along with sopping it down before sealing the foil wrapping (I double wrap with heavy duty foil)

one of the closest recipes to my family's old time recipe for cooking sop is from Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que in Llano Texas http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/texas_BBQ_mop-sauce.html ...but mine is a bit simplier as mine does not have any chili powder, bell pepper, ketchup, steak sauce, brown sugar or hot sauce ... but I do use 1-2 fresh limes and 1 fresh orange cut in half, squeezed and put rinds directly into the sauce pan and I bump the beef stock up to 4 cups. I also take some of the trimmed fat off the brisket, cut into smaller chunks and put a couple in the sop to cook down for flavor.

more than likely, the first few you try will be off either in flavor or toughness/chewy or overdone. each pit is different and it just takes time to fine tune cooking time & temperature to hit the perfect mark with plenty of smoke (smoke ring is the pink ring just inside the black outer layer), juicy but tender.

pmkkdx
05-04-2012, 03:55 PM
the reason I found the above links is for several reasons ... I grew up cooking with my dad & his friends for large events around central Texas. Their brisket was top shelf compared to any I have ever had anywhere. As I became an adult and started doing on my own, I pretty much perfected the technique in a similar but considerably smaller smoker pit. When I purchased the one pictured earlier about 2 years ago, I could not get anywhere close with the tender & juicy part ... incredible smoke ring and flavor ... but either came out chewy & tough OR dried out or burned. My dad has passed away along with most of his friends I grew up cooking with, so I was very frustrated not having those I learned from around to ask questions, so I started researching. when I found the links above, I started to have a better understanding of some of the fine tuning that I had always taken for granted. I now take a full packer, 15-20 lb, brisket, trim to about 1/4-1/2 inch thick of fat, olive oil rub & dry rub the day before, refrigerate. start fire with mequite charcoal, use soaked live oak, mesquite & fruit wood with extremely heavy smoke for 8-10 hours up in vertical smoker holding pit temp to 225*F which brings meat up to the stall of 155*-160*F internal temp for most of that time letting the smoke deeply penetrate while sopping every hour or so (sop in smoker too). double up the alum. foil, set brisket in middle, heavy sopping, seal up foil and move to horizontal portion of the pit & kick the fire on up to 275*-300* ... when the internal temperature of the meat hits 190*, I slow the heat back down as the internal temp will continue to rise to 195*-200* and leave for 1 -1 1/2 more hours depending on the size of the brisket. I then double wrap the smoked foil chunk with an old beach towel and put in an empty ice chest for a few more hours which also helps to tenderize the meat ...

as I stated, you will have to play around with brisket a bit to get it to where it meets all three criteria of smokeyness, tender and juicy. Good luck and don't let the first attempt make you not try again!!!!

CantRepeat
05-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Well all need to understand one thing here.

There is NO perfect way to BBQ/Smoke.

There's going to be too many this is how you do it end of story, when we all know there is more then one way to skin a cat. Sharing the fun of bbqing is what it's all about.

pmkkdx
05-04-2012, 05:38 PM
totally agree and each person has their own particular tastes and preferences ... but with that said, I have had bad BBQ :rolleyes: (actually they called it BBQ, not me).

Likewise there is quite a broad range of styles and techniques each with their own pros & cons associated along with their own uniqueness.

Here is a pic of the last brisket I took pictures of from a couple months back where I had separated the point from the flat and sliced. Shows the nice 3/4-1 inch pink smoke ring where the smoke penetrated pretty deep.

I prefer to skin cats from the tail end first :D

HRC
05-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Oh yeah, that looks good. I also coat mine with yellow mustard then the rub, but then I wrap mine in cellophane and let 'em sit in the fridge overnight before cooking them. I've tried different wood but I always go back to hickory. I guess growing up in Memphis where BBQ is done the right way ;) has spoiled me to the taste of hickory.
BTW, the Memphis in May BBQ contest is right around the corner. Any of y'all ever cooked in it?

CantRepeat
05-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Oh yeah, that looks good. I also coat mine with yellow mustard then the rub, but then I wrap mine in cellophane and let 'em sit in the fridge overnight before cooking them. I've tried different wood but I always go back to hickory. I guess growing up in Memphis where BBQ is done the right way ;) has spoiled me to the taste of hickory.
BTW, the Memphis in May BBQ contest is right around the corner. Any of y'all ever cooked in it?

I can dig it!!!

I love me some bbq and I love hearing how others do it. Nothing like a smoked turkey leg from South Texas!!!

gatorguy
05-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Just finished the brisket. It was pretty awesome. I took some pictures before I cooked it, but forgot to take some of the final product. It lasted all of about 3 minutes before it was completely consumed. I was lucky to even get any. Cooked for 8.5hrs. First 4 open with lots of smoke, and then the rest was in foil. I didn't have enough smoke, the pink smoke ring was only about 1/4", but it was very tender and moist.

Also made a gallon of dutch oven baked beans that would knock your socks off. Currently I'm waiting for the dutch oven cobbler to finish up, its so windy it's taking longer than expected . The wind in OK can ruin everything. It was so windy this AM we only surfed, didn't even try to ski.

milkmania
05-08-2012, 09:48 AM
played around with smoking, but kinda got away from it:(

http://www.therideinstyle.com/longhorn/thumb.html

http://www.therideinstyle.com/longhorn/original/smoke.jpghttp://www.therideinstyle.com/longhorn/original/brisket2.jpghttp://www.therideinstyle.com/longhorn/original/brisket5.jpg

pmkkdx
05-08-2012, 10:36 AM
wow! very defined smoke ring! Looks great! how long did you smoke that brisket?

gweaver
05-08-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm sorry if this is off-topic, but for the smoking you guys are doing, are you using the same grill that you do your grilling on? Our grill is on it's last legs and ready for replacement. I'd really like to get one unit that can 'do it all'. Probably a tall order, but I'd like to try smoking meat as well as doing slow cooked ribs and whatnot in addition to being able to sear a steak.
I'd love to have suggestions as to what's a good piece of equipment to get. I've heard good things about the Green Eggs, but I really like the price of the barrel-style grills with side fireboxes. I'd really like to find something that's going to last. I'd like to not have to replace it in 3-4 years like previous grills.
Happy eating!!

Greg

pmkkdx
05-08-2012, 01:50 PM
I posted a picture of mine a page or two back, it's a LyfeTyme that has firebox (grilling), horizontal pit (fajitas & sausage, finishng off brisket, ribs, chicken with higher heat than smoker) with a tall vertical smoker (3 racks for slow smoking whatever).

My last pit was very similar design but not near as big, finally burned out the bottom of the firebox after ~20 years of frequent cooking. I was going to cut out and put a new bottom in, but the steel was de-laminating throughout due to heat & drippings from cooking. I love mine, but it does require considerable charcoal & wood to keep it going over a slow smoking cycle of 12-15 hours when I am doing brisket. It was not cheap but has a life time warranty and will likely be my last pit (unless I decide to go to something even bigger).

http://www.lyfetyme.com/pits.html

zamboniman
05-08-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm sorry if this is off-topic, but for the smoking you guys are doing, are you using the same grill that you do your grilling on? Our grill is on it's last legs and ready for replacement. I'd really like to get one unit that can 'do it all'. Probably a tall order, but I'd like to try smoking meat as well as doing slow cooked ribs and whatnot in addition to being able to sear a steak.
I'd love to have suggestions as to what's a good piece of equipment to get. I've heard good things about the Green Eggs, but I really like the price of the barrel-style grills with side fireboxes. I'd really like to find something that's going to last. I'd like to not have to replace it in 3-4 years like previous grills.
Happy eating!!

Greg

Green egg... buy it once and get it done... Loving mine years later

gweaver
05-08-2012, 03:04 PM
The LifeTyme pits look nice, but I wonder what shipping on 500 lbs to CA would be. Probably a couple hundred. Pmkkdx- any idea what price range those pits run? I don't know about sizing, but I probably would never need to feed more than about 15 people. Would a 20 x 32 be the right size?

I'll look in to the egg too.
G

CruisinGA
05-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Green egg... It doesn't just do it all, it does it all better.
Whether you want to smoke for 12 hours straight or sear a steak at 700 degrees or bake a pizza or make breakfast or..... There is not better outdoor smoking/grilling/baking equipment out there. Then factor that they last forever and they seem cheap.

I have one at my house, my parents have one at theirs, and we have a third at the lake house. My parents cook on theirs 3-4 times a week, not counting the weekends.

Happy eating!!

Greg

pmkkdx
05-08-2012, 03:44 PM
the 20 x 32 with smoker should be fine for smaller groups up to about 20 people (that's about the size of my previous smoker/pit). My guess on price would be $1000-1200 range but that's totally a guess. The biggest outlet/dealer around here is Magnum trailers 1-800-6MAGNUM that you might call to get a better idea. Mine was a left over freak size 24 x 48 double lid with smoker & firebox was listed at $1750 but they made me a sweet deal at $1425 since they were also replacing an axle on my boat trailer too.

I don't have any idea on what shipping might cost but would think they might have maybe a dealer somewhere relatively close to you or know shipping prices to the various areas across the USA. Might give LyfeTyme a call & visit ... 1-800-394-8963

I would think there would be similar designs around your area too or find a fabricator to build one (or do yourself???).

I have heard really good things about the green egg too, but they are really way to small for majority of my needs most of the time as I frequently cook for 20-60+ people. My old pit used to work me to death doing 2-4 rounds instead of just 1-2 on this one.