PDA

View Full Version : Iphone questions

Kyle
05-03-2012, 03:27 AM
Has anyone jail broke the iPhone 4

What does it do?

Has anyone unlocked iPhone 4

What does that do?

I want to block someone from contacting me. Smart limits has a monthly fee and you can not tell if they tried to call or text. The iblacklist App will hide the call or text and block it but archives it. I want to have satisfaction knowing that they got blocked instead of never knowing.

CantRepeat
05-03-2012, 05:10 AM
Damn brother, you don't have to block me... I'll stop calling. But I thought the bromance was going good!!! lol

I wish I could help but I don't have an iPhone. I'm so close to going away from a smart phone at this point.

BriEOD
05-03-2012, 08:08 AM
There is tons of information about jail-breaking and unlocking iPhones on the net. For greater detail, google the terms.

Jail-breaking and unlocking iPhones allows the user to use the device with a different cellular telephone carrier. Jail-breaking the phone requires the user to tether the phone to a computer every time the phone is cycled on an off. Unlocking on the other hand, does not require tethering. Apple produces iPhones that come factory unlocked. I have a 3GS iPhone that is unlocked and I use it while overseas to eliminate roaming charges. Suffice to say, if you had bought an iPhone at an AT&T store and unlocked it, you could use a SIM card from a different carrier to provide your service. Also, there are other non-iTunes store apps available via Cydia.

As I said upfront, there is tons of data available on unlocking iPhones. Just google the terms.

Trig2275
05-03-2012, 08:43 AM
I believe that you can contact AT&T and they will block the number.

mdskier
05-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Yes, I have both jailbroken and unlocked iphones (3, 3G and 4). Jailbreaking simply allows you to install non-Apple approved S/W. iPhones will only download software from itunes generally. And Apple must approve all apps that go into iTunes. By jailbreaking, you install an app called Cydia which allows you to install software from other than the iTunes store. Some of that software is free, some costs money and some is pirated.

Unlocking allows you to use an iPhone on a non supported carrier. When iPhone first came out, it was only available on the AT&T network. The iPhone was "locked" to AT&T and if you put in say a T-Mobile SIM card, it would not work on T-Mobile. By unlocking, you could use a non AT&T SIM card and the phone will work on that carrier's network.

Unlocking requires the phone to be jailbroken first. Although, there are SIM card unlock devices that do not require the phone to be jailbroken.

Unlocking is less common because it requires a certain version of firmware, whereas jailbreaking only requires a certain version of the iPhone operating systems (IOS).

I have not looked in to s/w for blocking callers or texters so I am not sure if there are free versions of such software that you could get by jailbreaking the phone.

Also note that updating your IOS version will cause the jailbreak to be undone and will require you to jailbreak again. So if you jailbreak, you have to be sure not to update to the latest IOS version until you are sure there is a jailbreak available for that new IOS version.

gatorguy
05-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Haven't done it to mine, but a friend has Jailbroken his and has not had any problems. He loves it. I would be worried about corruption and the system crashing all the time.

ShawnB
05-03-2012, 07:17 PM
AT&T will now unlock any iPhone that is out of contract (http://osxdaily.com/2012/04/09/unlock-iphone-att/). Also they do not block numbers like other carriers do -- they want you to buy locks and limits.

milkmania
05-08-2012, 10:54 AM
had my 4S jailbroken for Software version 5.0.1, but accidentally took the V.5.1 Software update

anxiously awaiting the jailbreak for 5.1
I wouldn't have an iPhone that isn't jailbroken :twocents:

milkmania
06-25-2012, 05:09 PM
update......

another reason I wanted my iPhone jailbroken

3G download speed is faster than my home based broadband:eek3:
still have AT&T's UNLIMITED DATA PLAN:banana:

pbgbottle
12-23-2012, 10:21 PM
I have my 4 jailbroken And love it untethered jailbreak.

milkmania
12-24-2012, 03:16 AM
I have my 4 jailbroken And love it untethered jailbreak.

holler back when the 4s iOS6+ JB comes out

I'm still waiting with JB on my 5.1.1:(

pbgbottle
01-21-2013, 01:07 AM
no untethered jailbreak yet but almost there the hackers say. .and installous is gone but vshare is still here. :D

pbgbottle
01-28-2013, 08:35 PM
A untethered jailbreak is ready. It will drop when the IOS 6.1 update is released to public via iTunes. Finally
Can't wait.
Edit: My info must be wrong the IOS 6.1. Just released. Doh!

jailbreak will be out any day now . it is finished .just waiting on the releasse date now

milkmania
01-28-2013, 08:48 PM
A untethered jailbreak is ready. It will drop when the IOS 6.1 update is released to public via iTunes. Finally
Can't wait. My info must be wrong the IOS 6.1. Just released. Doh!
awesome, I checked your post on the 20th, and again yesterday.... thanks!!!!

pbgbottle
01-28-2013, 10:30 PM
jailbreak is finished just waiting on release to public now. sweet .

pbgbottle
01-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Here is the official group who has the jailbreak. In beta testing now. Rumor
Is release day of Super Bowl. See
Official. Website , not much to read about

http://evasi0n.com/

Cheers.

milkmania
02-01-2013, 02:54 AM
iphone was wanting the 6.1 update tonight:woohoo:

Jailbreak won't be long now:headbang:

JimN
02-01-2013, 10:01 AM
I just read that jailbreaking is illegal, now.

milkmania
02-01-2013, 10:47 AM
I just read that jailbreaking is illegal, now.

I'm getting mixed signals:(
But, from what I gather...
Jailbreaking iPhone = Legal
Jailbreaking iPad = Illegal

DMCA Gets Dumber: Smartphone JailBreaking Illegal in 2013 (http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/DMCA-Gets-Dumber-Smartphone-JailBreaking-Illegal-in-2013-121800) Also, You Can't Make Legal Copies of DVDs You Own, Sorry (http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/DMCA-Gets-Dumber-Smartphone-JailBreaking-Illegal-in-2013-121800)
n 2006 and 2010, the Librarian of Congress had permitted users to unlock their phones to take them to a new carrier. Now that's coming to an end. While the new rules do contain a provision allowing phone unlocking, it comes with a crippling caveat: the phone must have been "originally acquired from the operator of a wireless telecommunications network or retailer no later than ninety days after the effective date of this exemption." In other words, phones you already have, as well as those purchased between now and next January, can be unlocked. But phones purchased after January 2013 can only be unlocked with the carrier's permission.>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Jailbreaking your phone is legal in the US, but not for other mobile devices (http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2012/10/26/us-copyright-office-rules-on-jailbreaking-phones/)
The United States government has ruled that it’s perfectly legal for you to jailbreak your phone — and by jailbreak, we mean that it’s not going to violate any copyright laws. But don’t think that you’re going to be able to legally hack any of your other devices, because the US Copyright Office says that tablets are excluded from this ruling.>
>
>
>
>
>
>
There's a 69 page PDF file in the link below discussing Jailbreaking and a final ruling..... it pretty much starts talking about Jailbreaking around page 14
https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2012-26308.pdf
LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
Copyright Office
37 CFR Part 201
[Docket No. 2011-7]
Exemption to Prohibition on Circumvention of Copyright Protection Systems for Access
Control Technologies
AGENCY: Copyright Office, Library of Congress.
ACTION: Final rule.

03 35th Anniversary
02-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Kind of an off topic iPhone app question.

Do any of you know of a GPS app that you can enter the coordinates in and set as a destination?

I do not need an app that tells me where I'm at! I know where I'm at!!!

TxsRiverRat
02-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Kyle Kyle Kyle... When it comes to boating, stereo, and auto repairs, you da man... When it comes to blocking annoying b*tches from calling and texting, I am your one stop shop – I have at least 50 #s blocked on my phone via 3rd party software... It does not matter that I do not own an iPhone, I am the authority on this...

Remember, crazy women come in pretty packages...

1. You’ll have to install Cydia on your phone. This will jailbreak your piece of crap phone that dictates you to only use approved software (wnd why I will NEVER own ANYTHING Apple – they suck!.

2. Your unlocked phone now can allow for the iBlacklist app to be installed.

3. If you look at their user manual, it’s written pretty well and will walk you through the entire process from end to end. There’s an acronym we IT people use – RTFD – read the effing documentation ;)

4. One thing I do love about iBlacklist is it’s ability to eliminate MMS messages – this does not exist elsewhere as far as I know.

5. Next time, instead of wasting these poor peoples time, come to me and I will show you how it’s done!

Oh and last thing – get over that broad and don’t save the text history – with all the chicks you’ve been talking to over the last month, you should NOT CARE what the other one has to say – let her be miserable with the next guy.

MC

============================

From the manual:

1.2. iBlacklist Installation

One of the most common questions we receive about
iBlacklist is: How do I install it on my device?
The answer is: Cydia !!!

If you don’t even dream about to know what Cydia is, it
means you don’t own a jailbroken iPhone.
The jailbreak is a term used to refer to devices that can
freely install and run whatever application the user might
want or need.

Please understand that JAILBREAK IS NOT UNLOCKING
your device. It’s a risk free process where you will open the
OS to install and run whatever applications. Also, you can
ALWAYS restore your device to the factory state using
iTunes, wich will vanish the jailbreak modifications.

Everything that was working before this process will
continue to work, including all the default applications and
pre installed software’s like AppStore and it’s applications.

You will just open another door for you to choose a path.
Once you jailbreak your device, you will have a
software called Cydia, wich is a third parties application
installer.

To install iBlacklist, please do this (requires a
jailbroken device):

• Make sure you have a data connection ON, like 3G,
Edge or Wifi;

• Open Cydia;

• Wait for it to load;

• Click on Featured menu;

• Locate iBlacklist;

• Select it and Install it

milkmania
02-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Kyle Kyle Kyle... When it comes to boating, stereo, and auto repairs, you da man... When it comes to blocking annoying b*tches from calling and texting, I am your one stop shop – I have at least 50 #s blocked on my phone via 3rd party software... It does not matter that I do not own an iPhone, I am the authority on this...

Remember, crazy women come in pretty packages...

1. You’ll have to install Cydia on your phone. This will jailbreak your piece of crap phone that dictates you to only use approved software (wnd why I will NEVER own ANYTHING Apple – they suck!.

2. Your unlocked phone now can allow for the iBlacklist app to be installed.

3. If you look at their user manual, it’s written pretty well and will walk you through the entire process from end to end. There’s an acronym we IT people use – RTFD – read the effing documentation ;)

4. One thing I do love about iBlacklist is it’s ability to eliminate MMS messages – this does not exist elsewhere as far as I know.

5. Next time, instead of wasting these poor peoples time, come to me and I will show you how it’s done!

Oh and last thing – get over that broad and don’t save the text history – with all the chicks you’ve been talking to over the last month, you should NOT CARE what the other one has to say – let her be miserable with the next guy.

MC

============================

From the manual:

1.2. iBlacklist Installation

One of the most common questions we receive about
iBlacklist is: How do I install it on my device?
The answer is: Cydia !!!

If you don’t even dream about to know what Cydia is, it
means you don’t own a jailbroken iPhone.
The jailbreak is a term used to refer to devices that can
freely install and run whatever application the user might
want or need.

Please understand that JAILBREAK IS NOT UNLOCKING
your device. It’s a risk free process where you will open the
OS to install and run whatever applications. Also, you can
ALWAYS restore your device to the factory state using
iTunes, wich will vanish the jailbreak modifications.

Everything that was working before this process will
continue to work, including all the default applications and
pre installed software’s like AppStore and it’s applications.

You will just open another door for you to choose a path.
Once you jailbreak your device, you will have a
software called Cydia, wich is a third parties application
installer.

To install iBlacklist, please do this (requires a
jailbroken device):

• Make sure you have a data connection ON, like 3G,
Edge or Wifi;

• Open Cydia;

• Wait for it to load;

• Click on Featured menu;

• Locate iBlacklist;

• Select it and Install it

one thing I love about iBlacklist is that you can setup an autoreply for SMS messages for the crazies that try to blow up your phone...... you don't even know they've sent anything, until you look at the logs, and then you see that she's sent 100 messages to which you've automatically replied "Leave me alone, you crazy a$$ed crack whore!!!!" :purplaugh
and you never even looked at your phone:cool:

oh, and that auto-reply was just an example, my actual message was a bit more personal8p

TxsRiverRat
02-01-2013, 03:33 PM
one thing I love about iBlacklist is that you can setup an autoreply for SMS messages for the crazies that try to blow up your phone...... you don't even know they've sent anything, until you look at the logs, and then you see that she's sent 100 messages to which you've automatically replied "Leave me alone, you crazy a$$ed crack whore!!!!" :purplaugh
and you never even looked at your phone:cool:

oh, and that auto-reply was just an example, my actual message was a bit more personal8p

LMAO! i'd turn on the auto responder but theres only one person I'd want to get the auto reply... It'd be awesome if you could personalize each persons auto-response!

milkmania
02-01-2013, 05:32 PM
LMAO! i'd turn on the auto responder but theres only one person I'd want to get the auto reply... It'd be awesome if you could personalize each persons auto-response!

sure ya can, just add crack whore to your General Blacklist, and you set options for her only.
1) voicemail options
2) SMS options

TxsRiverRat
02-01-2013, 07:34 PM
I'm not on an iPhone - i use a different app!!

pbgbottle
02-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Release date tomorrow Read here

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/02/confirmed-the-ios-6-untethered-jailbreak-will-be-released-tomorrow

milkmania
02-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Release date tomorrow Read here

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/02/confirmed-the-ios-6-untethered-jailbreak-will-be-released-tomorrow

awesome! :woohoo:
I'll be backing my phone up this next week, watching how well the new JB is doing for everyone, (listening for glitches and errors and such) then I'll start preparing to JailBreak next week!

pbgbottle
02-03-2013, 11:45 PM
cool i know it is not a 5 but i have a spare 4S that i will be playing with asap to do the testing on before i do my personal phone, and my kids ipod.

cheers

pbgbottle
02-04-2013, 03:28 PM
here it is finally released now to test .

http://evasi0n.com/

pbgbottle
02-04-2013, 03:39 PM
wow i just downloaded the jailbreak utility when i posted the info above and the jailbreak is finished .the easist one ever . just click start and now it is done . i did not backup the phone first either . Doh!

cool .

milkmania
02-04-2013, 05:14 PM
hmmmmmmhttp://68.178.167.89/smf/Smileys/default/hmmm.gif

pbgbottle
02-04-2013, 05:23 PM
this was on my spare phone . i did not try on my main phone .i have to backup all my tweaks first . will try ipod now.

milkmania
02-04-2013, 05:25 PM
yeah, primary phone spooks me, so early in release :(

pbgbottle
02-04-2013, 06:09 PM
i couldn't resist it ,it got the better of me, i just did my wifes iphone 4 ,it has never been jailbroken we'll see how it goes .if it sucks i will just do a restore.

milkmania
02-05-2013, 05:00 PM
pretty apprehensive..... during backing up of my 4S to iTunes & iCloud, I see that none of my contacts are on iCloud.
I'm proceeding with caution, for sure! until I confirm my contacts are backed up, I'm not jailbreaking

edit:
iCloud wants M$ Outlook 2007 or 2010 for the contact list or calendars
so, I'm installing 2010 now, and I hate 2010

pbgbottle
02-05-2013, 05:34 PM
i did my wifes and all is runnnig smooth ,but it was a little easier since she had never been jailbroke before and she was already updated to ios6 , so i spent last night adding some customizations from cydia. cydia servers or sources got hammered hard yesterday .so alot of people where complaining about errors. but all seems to be working today. i have had no issues with my wifes phone ,i am still scared to update my phone.also . i just did a full restore on my kids ipod which was jailed , so i am waiting for him to come home and see how his restore from icloud works out . if no issues found i may tackle my phone next week .

as for the jailbreak itself ,no glitches with the phone at all. and this jailbreak software is so easy
to do i can see everybody eventually trying it . just plug in the phone to computer and hit run .
i think it promps you once to unlock your device and tap the app icon once and then it finishes the jailbreak, then after all is done run cydia and it will update , i did see a update for the jailbreak also on cydia .or something from the jailbreak crew on cydia that needed updating on the phone . this is the easist jailbreak user friendly exe .ever.

,,, but i hear ya on messing up your personal phone. .

milkmania
02-17-2013, 07:22 PM
dang, I haven't had time to Jailbreak to 6.1 and I just got a iPhone app message that 6.1.1 is already out

looked around and evasi0n already has it covered
http://www.evasi0njailbreak.com/jailbreak-ios-6.1.1-untethered-iphone-4s-with-evasi0n-1.3-update/

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/02/11/how-to-jailbreak-iphone-4s-ios-6-1-1-evasi0n/

pbgbottle
02-18-2013, 12:34 AM
i haven't done my personal phone yet either ,
but my wifes phone is running great. on 6.1

milkmania
02-18-2013, 01:23 AM
i haven't done my personal phone yet either ,
but my wifes phone is running great. on 6.1

I've been downloading 6.1.1 through iTunes for last 3 hours and it says there's 5 left:mad:

edit:
aborted that downloaded last night, reset phone to new phone, took update, synced phone with iCloud backups, all was good, applied evasi0n's Jailbreak, and good to go.... just gotta add the vital jailbroken apps back for now, then the not so vital ones later :)
my primary purpose to go to iOS 6.0+ was for the GPS maps feature, or I'd have stayed at 5.1.1

pbgbottle
02-19-2013, 03:43 PM
i did mine yeasterday .all is well a few of the cydia tweaks aren't compatible with ios6 yet kinda sucks .but my phone is working fineand finally all up to date.

kkkeating
02-19-2013, 04:58 PM
If someone blocks your number, all you have to is get a SpoofCard; it allows you to call or text anyone and you get to chose the number that shows up on their phone as to who's calling. Nothing like calling a friend and the call shows up as if he's calling himself!

milkmania
02-20-2013, 12:37 AM
i did mine yeasterday .all is well a few of the cydia tweaks aren't compatible with ios6 yet kinda sucks .but my phone is working fineand finally all up to date.

yep, I took the plunge, and glad I did.... and just before I did, I found a couple of apps that create a backup list of the apps I had downloaded through the Apple store and through Cydia, and saved it to a text file and emailed to myself. sure came in handy when reinstalling apps through Apple & Cydia... plus, it let me weed out the apps I didn't want to reinstall.

I got to iOS6.1.1, but I just took the long way :o
but, didn't lose a single thing in the process... even all my old apps kept their settings when I reinstalled themhttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/biggthumpup.gif

pbgbottle
02-20-2013, 12:58 PM
i did try to backup the cydia stuff first also . used xbackup and PKGBackup neither worked
but i did do what u did last month not sure what app it was but i emailed myself the lists also
didn't take long to add the sources and download the tweaks i liked . my upgrade was a bit tuff .
it tried to upgrade but failed ,itunes wanted to do a full factory restore ,
i thought i lost everything . then it did a backup restore,
then i jailbroke it and all was good ,
the apps i too reinstalled did remember my settings also only thing i lost was some music i guess i did not sync my music

cheers :D

milkmania
02-20-2013, 01:16 PM
i did try to backup the cydia stuff first also . used xbackup and PKGBackup neither worked
but i did do what u did last month not sure what app it was but i emailed myself the lists also
didn't take long to add the sources and download the tweaks i liked . my upgrade was a bit tuff .
it tried to upgrade but failed ,itunes wanted to do a full factory restore ,
i thought i lost everything . then it did a backup restore,
then i jailbroke it and all was good ,
the apps i too reinstalled did remember my settings also only thing i lost was some music i guess i did not sync my music

cheers :D

sounds pretty much identical to my update.... thought I'd lost all my crap too.... then I realized I restored from an old 2012 back-up, so I grabbed the latest back up and dodged the bullet.
there's still a couple things running wonky, but it'll straighten out soon enough.
I had no luck with either of the back-up programs you tried also.:(

hondaprlud
02-23-2013, 02:53 PM
This thread prompted me to JB my phone. Glad I did thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milkmania
02-23-2013, 02:55 PM
This thread prompted me to JB my phone. Glad I did thanks.

I won't have one that's not;)

MC209
02-23-2013, 08:16 PM
When you jail break your phone... What exactly do you get to do on it? Or what does it accomplish?

milkmania
02-23-2013, 08:52 PM
When you jail break your phone... What exactly do you get to do on it? Or what does it accomplish?

It allows you to install 3rd. party apps. that are not approved/controlled by Apple.

Some of these are "eye candy" type apps, and some are "productivity" type apps, while others are games, and what not.
Example, if you use Pandora.... there's an app/tweak that lets to skip to the next song as many times as you want.

I've got an app. downloaded called "Androidlock XT"....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QMIDLb_crA
instead of typing a four digit key code, I can swipe custom multiple dot patterns.
Also have an app. that has my name where it used to say "slide to open", in case someone picks up my phone.... they can hit the home key and automatically see my name.

I do a lot of calendar scheduling and booking through Google Calendar, so I'm set up to get my pending appointments in text messages, so my most desired app is "lockinfo" .... my lock screen shows pending appointments immediately.... I don't have to swipe down the notification center... just hit the home key, glance, done! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-PaEBN9108

I use BiteSMS as my primary messaging program instead of Apple's messaging program, simply because I can set timers on pre-typed messages to be sent at a later time/date.... Say, it's 3:00am and I need to message someone.... I can set timer for 8:00am, so that's VERY handy!
BiteSMS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fDfPo8MXjc

A simple youtube search for "top cydia apps" might show you a lot more than I can explain.
I use mine more for productivity....

I have absolutely no music, videos, or movies downloaded to my phone.... I use Pandora and IHeart radio for my tunes:cool:
oh, and I use "youmail" for for my voicemails.

here's what it looks like as soon as I hit my HOME button "edited"

milkmania
02-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Also, have UNLIMITED DATA PLAN from AT&T grandfathered down from years of service .... I use PDANET to create WIFI hotspot for my clients :) 90278

pbgbottle
02-23-2013, 11:22 PM
i would hate my phone also if it wasn't jailbroken

i have a few pics . i like things like asktocall no pocket dialing,barrel,cascade ,fiveicon dock,cyntact,five column springboard,icleaner,killbackground
heres a couple of pics of my phone with a theme and showing 5 per row instead of 4 icons
and custom keyboard and texting .pic also shows my name instead of carrier
there is tons of reasons to jailbreak and everbody's is different .

milkmania
02-24-2013, 10:35 AM
i would hate my phone also if it wasn't jailbroken

i have a few pics . i like things like asktocall no pocket dialing,barrel,cascade ,fiveicon dock,cyntact,five column springboard,icleaner,killbackground
heres a couple of pics of my phone with a theme and showing 5 per row instead of 4 icons
and custom keyboard and texting .pic also shows my name instead of carrier
there is tons of reasons to jailbreak and everbody's is different .

yes to all the above in RED
and some others, plus flashlight, and a few gadgets here and there.
there's one that lets me delete ALL my Text messages at once....
the possibilities are endless, and new apps being developed daily.

pbgbottle
12-29-2013, 10:14 PM
Ios7. Untethered jailbreak was released last week

I wasn't going to upgrade to iOS 7
But cydia asked me to do a major update and it screwed my phone
And forced me to do a restore so I updated to ios7. And jailbroke it ASAP. Finally got my phone back to how I like it before the update. Still waiting on a few more tweaks to be compatible.