PDA

View Full Version : What are the wake hours on your lake?

Danimal
08-17-2005, 05:08 PM
I saw many people in the tube bashing thread mention the wake hours on their lake. What are yours?

Mine are 10:00am to Dusk.

My lake is a very good fishing lake so there is no wake until 10am for the fisherman.

Ric
08-17-2005, 05:09 PM
24-7-365 .

ski_king
08-17-2005, 05:11 PM
Well, a PS 190/197 hardly has a wake........ go for it early while there is glass.

Sunrise to sunset here is ok. I have pushed the sunset end of it many times. Usually have to let the fog burn off in the morning.

erkoehler
08-17-2005, 05:12 PM
9am to 6pm

Danimal
08-17-2005, 05:13 PM
9am to 6pm

WOW - 6pm. Harsh!!

André
08-17-2005, 05:19 PM
Is a frozen lake a restriction ?
No such rules here...and will kill the first one who thinks about applying this to my lake!

SteveO
08-17-2005, 05:26 PM
Huh Wake hours? I guess that applies to those of you fortunate to enjoy private or semiprivate waterways. I'm sure the homeowners on skiers cove would have liked some of those hours this morning as I was giving them a V8 wake up call at 6:30 this AM. I was kind and had my tower speakers turned off at least.

Danimal
08-17-2005, 05:27 PM
Huh Wake hours? I guess that applies to those of you fortunate to enjoy private or semiprivate waterways.

Nope... Mines a public lake.

AirJunky
08-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Washington state has a 5 mph law in effect sunset to sunrise on all lakes in the state. Guess thats about no wake speed.
Seems like it's been the same law in a number of other areas I've visited..... Dale Hollow, Shasta, etc.

jraben8
08-17-2005, 05:34 PM
I guess that is one of the good points of a public lake. I'm with SteveO, what "wake hours"?

Ric
08-17-2005, 05:51 PM
I guess that is one of the good points of a public lake. I'm with SteveO, what "wake hours"?
Conroe started this recently
I dont ski there and I forget the details but basically after dark speeds can be "no more than what it takes to get the boat on plane"

Cloaked
08-17-2005, 06:08 PM
24-7-365 .Word up........

erkoehler
08-17-2005, 06:19 PM
Huh Wake hours? I guess that applies to those of you fortunate to enjoy private or semiprivate waterways. I'm sure the homeowners on skiers cove would have liked some of those hours this morning as I was giving them a V8 wake up call at 6:30 this AM. I was kind and had my tower speakers turned off at least.

Public lake, but the county forgot to save land to build a public ramp. So, only way in is through private property!!!! Don't think the neighbors will be sharing with the tourists :D

AirJunky
08-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Public lake, but the county forgot to save land to build a public ramp. So, only way in is through private property!!!! Don't think the neighbors will be sharing with the tourists :D
Thats the perfect kind of public lake! Keeps the boat traffic down!

H20skeefreek
08-17-2005, 08:28 PM
no wakes allowed......ever.

Maristar210
08-17-2005, 10:20 PM
My waterway is a private river. Ski Course to the south and wakeboarders to the north. Damn tubers everywhere, even through the ski course. Goes to show you what a 15 year old tri-hull and a dozen Busch Lights will do for you. Losers. tubers = :rant:

Steve

Granite_33
08-17-2005, 10:30 PM
Public lake in ColdH2O, Michigan.

They follow MI state guidelines.....which is.....I think

30 min before sunrise
1HR after sunset.

I could be wrong.

We tend to push the sunset limit.

I'm not in to that "buttcrack of dawn" skiing set.

RickDV
08-17-2005, 10:36 PM
Public lake in ColdH2O, Michigan.

They follow MI state guidelines.....which is.....I think

30 min before sunrise
1HR after sunset.

I could be wrong.

We tend to push the sunset limit.

I'm not in to that "buttcrack of dawn" skiing set.

Actually, the laws vary from lake to lake in Michigan. Most of them have no hours limiting wakes at night.

The time limit refers to the allowed times for waterskiiing.

From the Michigan DNR web site:
It is illegal to tow skiers, surfboards, or any device of this type between:
*One hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise if towed behind a boat
*One hour before sunset and 8:00 AM if towed behind a PWC.

ssippiriverrat
08-17-2005, 10:48 PM
I saw many people in the tube bashing thread mention the wake hours on their lake. What are yours?

Mine are 10:00am to Dusk.

My lake is a very good fishing lake so there is no wake until 10am for the fisherman.

My lake cabin right now is 24-7 but why in the world do fisherman outrank skiiers and wakeboarders? I know a couple of diehard fisherman are trying to make wake hours on my lake and it really ticks me off when they think they have more right to the lake than I do. All I do is have a little bit of engine noise--they fish out all the lake--which is worse for the environment? Trust me I am going to fight it.

Leroy
08-17-2005, 11:32 PM
Regular DNR rules of 1 hr before sunrise and 1 hr after sunset. (Maybe it is 1/2 hour?).

I would be more for a noise limit (the ripping Baja's) and an idiot rule taking boats from people that do idiotic things on the lake!

6ballsisall
08-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Regular DNR rules of 1 hr before sunrise and 1 hr after sunset. (Maybe it is 1/2 hour?).

I would be more for a noise limit (the ripping Baja's) and an idiot rule taking boats from people that do idiotic things on the lake!

Lemme guess, your talking about Geist?

6ballsisall
08-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Ours is 9am-9pm

Anytime other than that, no wake

Granite_33
08-17-2005, 11:40 PM
Actually, the laws vary from lake to lake in Michigan. Most of them have no hours limiting wakes at night.

The time limit refers to the allowed times for waterskiiing.

From the Michigan DNR web site:
It is illegal to tow skiers, surfboards, or any device of this type between:
*One hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise if towed behind a boat
*One hour before sunset and 8:00 AM if towed behind a PWC.

Thats what I was referring to. And good point about the skiing portion. I never really thought about the question.........although I was always under the impression that those times applied for wakes too. There are quite a few fishing boats that hang out on the lake throughout the night..........some of them don't have their lights on. :eek:

bucky
08-18-2005, 12:19 AM
For Broken Bow, no restrictions on wakes.

ktn_cmu
08-18-2005, 09:36 AM
11am to 7:30 ...all other time no wake...unless you are a fisherman and then you can get out your 225hp outboard bass boat and blast as fast as you want to your fishing hole at anytime (lake is less than three miles circumference)...ok ok...so the fishermen part isn't written in the law...but seems to be the norm.

Gofast
08-18-2005, 09:47 AM
No wake restrictions. Public lake, most of the boats are on the south end of the lake. Lot's of tree's seperate the North end from the South, so I usually have the whole cove to myself. Great windbreaks from North, south and East.

No fee to launch and a courtsey dock. All 20 mins from my house.

Love it.

Rob

JEREMY79
08-18-2005, 09:54 AM
WFO 24-7 :purplaugh

jbfootin
08-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Ours is 10-4 in Northern WI. This does vary from lake to lake.

3event
08-18-2005, 10:02 AM
Wisconsin seems to be anal about quiet hours. Our lake allows skiing 10AM-7PM, and 10-6 on wknds/holidays. Outside that, nowake. And there's no public access yet! But there will be by next year.

I have a friend up north (central WI, 100acre lake) who has 10AM-3PM skiing ! Occasionally it's quiet in the AM, but on nice weekends it's just crazy. So I can't complain to him.

Once a year I drag the MC out to a sunrise-dusk lake that is much larger so we can start early and hit it. For me, it's a rare treat to start at 7am when it's still calm....

sizzler
08-18-2005, 10:02 AM
8am til dusk.........dont wanna get up earlier with a fat-head

peason
08-18-2005, 10:15 AM
5 mph - 12:00 noon to sunset.
All 4 lakes in Lake Elmo, MN have this restriction. We deal with it, and try to get out first thing at noon, to at least get a couple of runs in before the tubers or go out late and ski in the evening when there is less traffic.
In Minnesota - you don't have to go far to find more water. St. Croix river is just minutes away if I need glass in the early morning. Or just go home and catch a run at lunch during the week, when there is virtually no other boats out.

erkoehler
08-18-2005, 10:32 AM
I know Rockman has some crappy hours.

88 PS190
08-18-2005, 10:50 AM
we have ski hours, but no wake regulation. 1 hour before/after sunrise/set and thats for safety of the skier, not going after dark and such.

Rockman
08-18-2005, 01:28 PM
Yes Erk,

You are correct. Right now it is 10-4 on Weekends and Holidays and 12-5 during the week.

I gathered a group of skiers to go to the Lake District meeting this summer and it was agreed to get the hours changed to 10-4 every day.

The reason the hours are like this is because of this f@*king summer camp on our lake. They are suppose to use the lake on the "off" hours to teach their campers how to canoe, sail, etc. But go figure, they come out during ski hours! :rant:

We had a good argument at the meeting with all these old people on the lake and how they just like to sit on their deck and enjoy the lake with no skiers on at all. I told the one lady I would wall paper her living room with a sunset and she could sit and watch that instead. Probably would eliminate the mosquito problem for her as well.

erkoehler
08-18-2005, 01:33 PM
It sounds mean, but alot of the people on our lake up North are getting older and have the same attitude as Rockman described. Soon, enough I hope to be able to propose a change when the younger crowd takes over. Eventually it will happen, it just takes time.

RickDV
08-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Yes Erk,

The reason the hours are like this is because of this f@*king summer camp on our lake. They are suppose to use the lake on the "off" hours to teach their campers how to canoe, sail, etc. But go figure, they come out during ski hours! :rant:

On Reed's Lake here in Grand Rapids there is a small yacht club that amounts to a couple of dozen small sailboats that like to race on the lake.
On race days they place their orange buoys to mark the race course and eveyone (is supposed to) stay clear and give them space.

Seems to me the summer camp could do something similar. It would give them some space to work without locking down the whole lake. Also seems to me that teaching kids to sail and canoe in the real world means having to deal with other boaters on the lake.

Danimal
08-18-2005, 02:37 PM
We also have a yacht club on our lake that I am a member of. I forgot to mention there is no skiing on Sundays or Holidays from 2pm - 4pm. We sail from 2pm - 4pm on Sundays and from 6pm - 8pm on Wednesdays. I can see why this rule is in place. When we are racing we don't have as much control as the ski boats. On Wed nights we get freakin' dumb-arse skiers and tubers that come dangerously close to our sailboats and I have been in some pretty hairy situations. People will cut right through the race course. We tipped one time and both my Skipper and I were ejected from the boat. Some boater comes around the point and whips his tuber and he came extremely close to us. We felt the spray from the tubers dragging feet. Not mention that the sail and mast are in the water and there is cable rigging attached to the sail and mast. If this kid would have caught his leg on the cables it would have took it clean off. Sometimes I wish people would just use a little common sense.

X2M
08-18-2005, 02:42 PM
On Reed's Lake here in Grand Rapids there is a small yacht club that amounts to a couple of dozen small sailboats that like to race on the lake.
On race days they place their orange buoys to mark the race course and eveyone (is supposed to) stay clear and give them space.

Seems to me the summer camp could do something similar. It would give them some space to work without locking down the whole lake. Also seems to me that teaching kids to sail and canoe in the real world means having to deal with other boaters on the lake.

On Bass Lake in central California near Yosemite they have a bouy system set up for jet skiis. Jet skiis are not allowed to run anything over no wake (if I remember correctly) unless they are in the areas marked by the bouys. GREAT IDEA!! The Sheriff is very strict about that too.

That lake also has tons of the other restrictions. Must drive counter-clockwise at all times, no wake 50 ft from shore all around the lake. After launching for the first time you have to visit the Sheriff Island to have your boat inspected for all the usual required stuff plus your boat has to pass an emissions test or they won't let you boat on the lake. And they charge you are $40.00 fee for that test and pass sticker. They also have hour restrictions but right now I can't remember what they are.

Hoff1
08-18-2005, 02:44 PM
Dawn till dusk for skiing and such. No regulations otherwise on wakes or speed limit. But, with 65,000 acres of lake, who's gonna catch you.

betsy&david Harrison
08-18-2005, 02:48 PM
Private Lake, don't have any. Just be safe. Pretty sure I posted this before.

MNSKier
08-18-2005, 03:00 PM
Hey, ssippiriverrat, You wouldn't be talking about Lake Zumbro :eek3: That is my neck of the woods.

Ric
08-18-2005, 03:06 PM
:eek:

On Bass Lake in central California near Yosemite they have a bouy system set up for jet skiis. Jet skiis are not allowed to run anything over no wake (if I remember correctly) unless they are in the areas marked by the bouys. GREAT IDEA!! The Sheriff is very strict about that too.

That lake also has tons of the other restrictions. Must drive counter-clockwise at all times, no wake 50 ft from shore all around the lake. After launching for the first time you have to visit the Sheriff Island to have your boat inspected for all the usual required stuff plus your boat has to pass an emissions test or they won't let you boat on the lake. And they charge you are $40.00 fee for that test and pass sticker. They also have hour restrictions but right now I can't remember what they are.

X2M
08-18-2005, 03:20 PM
:eek:

I agree! :eek: but it's not my home lake. Only went there on vacation with the boat a few times.

I don't think we really have any wake hours other than the no ski/wakeboard at after dark thing here.

West TN Wake
08-24-2005, 10:13 PM
We see butter from 7 am to about 11am then from bout 5pm till dark. That is the best time ever.

6ballsisall
08-24-2005, 10:23 PM
We got kicked of our lake last night at 8pm!! The goof ball rent a cops are clueless. :rolleyes: Oh well, it's not there fault the POA can't communicate like normal people. I did meet a guy with a sweet 197TT who I referred to the site.

RickDV
08-24-2005, 10:46 PM
No specific limits our lake other than state law (skiing banned from one hour after sunset until one hour before sunrise.)

Was out on the lake tonight hoping to get clean water by staying out late. At 45 minutes after sunset I was still dodging 2 tubers. Had to give it up for the night. :(

Guess who I had to wait for at the boat launch?!? :mad: :mad:

West TN Wake
08-25-2005, 10:35 AM
I like how u think man..no wake hours just searching for butter.

AHudgins
08-25-2005, 11:05 PM
No such thing where I ski (Virginia). As a matter of fact, this past weekend we had a dude run his cigarette boat over top of a cabin cruiser from the rear, doing around 60 MPH at 10pm. He killed a married couple and their dog in a split second. That's why I dont' ski at that lake!!!!! Stupid, just plain stupid.
http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=3748281