PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Clarion CMS1

occva
05-02-2012, 08:45 PM
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2012/marine/source_units/CMS1/us-en-product-pf_1259559425012.html

I am looking at installing a stereo in my 86 MC. Just starting to look and came across this unit. We will use ipod almost 100 percent of the time.

I am looking for suggestions for a head unit and location for mounting. (pics appreciated)

orbeamlb
05-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Installed one in my 88 PS 200. Same Dash as yours. Mounted the controller to the left of the steering wheel. Installed one of the flat wire t-shaped antennas under the front deck. Receive good reception for AM/FM and Weather Band. Mounted the Head Unit under the dash. You can add an Amp if you want a Sub.

I put an iPod Jack and 12V Outlet on opposite ends of the bin in front of the mirror.

Don't have any pics at the moment. Can take some this weekend.

occva
05-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Installed one in my 88 PS 200. Same Dash as yours. Mounted the controller to the left of the steering wheel. Installed one of the flat wire t-shaped antennas under the front deck. Receive good reception for AM/FM and Weather Band. Mounted the Head Unit under the dash. You can add an Amp if you want a Sub.

I put an iPod Jack and 12V Outlet on opposite ends of the bin in front of the mirror.

Don't have any pics at the moment. Can take some this weekend.

Pics would be much appreciated. One under the dash too if you don't mind.

orbeamlb
05-06-2012, 09:16 PM
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2012/marine/source_units/CMS1/us-en-product-pf_1259559425012.html

I am looking at installing a stereo in my 86 MC. Just starting to look and came across this unit. We will use ipod almost 100 percent of the time.

I am looking for suggestions for a head unit and location for mounting. (pics appreciated)

Here's pics of my CMS-1. The Head Unit is mounted to the underside of the dash with stainless Thru Bolts, Rubber Washers and Stainless Trim Washers. You have to look around and under the Instrument Pod to see the screw heads and trim washers. Also included a pic of the Flat Wire Antenna. Great reception on AM/FM/Weather Bands.

Works well with iPod too (added Jack and 12V power outlet in the dash top bin at the base of the mirror.

Pleased thus far with the unit and would recommend it for good sound quality on a budget.

Hope this helps.

Mike