PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Refurb Not Happening

oxberger
05-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Ok TT gang, I have some trailer issues and some questions. I was going to do a refurb on my trailer or at least change the bunks and carpet since funds are limited. I was able to get the boat off the trailer and sitting on blocks. The trailer isn't completely out from under it yet because of some major bad discoveries. A little background, I live in Middle TN (Murfreesboro) but the boat came from Baltimore and used in brackish water. When I got it the trailer already had some surface rust on it but at the time didn't seem too bad (I always planned to refurb it, but a situation kept coming up that would prevent it ex. job loss, marriage...). The brakes have never worked on it since I've had it and it's never been an issue since I don't tow very far and am very cautious when I driving it. The actuator has now failed and the tongue now slides in and out freely and the bunks look bad, hence the refurb. As I was jacking the boat up I realized how bad the trailer is. The front V bunk wood was so bad that when the boat came off the wood basically disintegrated. When I pulled the trailer up some to get a better look at the other bunks I noticed (besides the carpet having been taped down with duct tape which is no longer there) that there is a chunk of rusted metal missing near the front where the wood bolts to the frame. Itís so bad that where the bolt is I can actually bend the metal and could probably pull the bolt off through the hole by hand. Noticing that, I noticed a crack in the metal that goes through the right top part of the frame from the top toward the ground. I then climbed under and discovered that everything has horrible flaking rust on it. Wish I had pictures but the camera is not cooperating. Now for the questions:
1.) How long can I leave it on blocks before having to worry about chine lock? My dad said if it sit on blocks and the engine is not supported it'll happen.

2.) I'm handy and if I had the correct tools (welder, etc.) I believe I could do the work myself it would just take a long time. I have some money set aside but not nearly enough to buy tools and then be able to buy the things to refurb. Does anyone know of someone within a 3 hour drive of Middle TN selling a trailer ($700 or under) that will fit a 1985 Stars and Stripes?

3.) Any suggestions to help me get her back on a roadworthy trailer would greatly be appreciated. Keep in mind funds are limited, the boat is off the not roadworthy trailer, and I can't afford a slip let alone a way to get it there.

Sorry for the long post. Let the ideas fly.

Cloaked
05-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Ok TT gang, I have some trailer issues and some questions. I was going to do a refurb on my trailer or at least change the bunks and carpet since funds are limited. I was able to get the boat off the trailer and sitting on blocks. The trailer isn't completely out from under it yet because of some major bad discoveries. A little background, I live in Middle TN (Murfreesboro) but the boat came from Baltimore and used in brackish water. When I got it the trailer already had some surface rust on it but at the time didn't seem too bad (I always planned to refurb it, but a situation kept coming up that would prevent it ex. job loss, marriage...). The brakes have never worked on it since I've had it and it's never been an issue since I don't tow very far and am very cautious when I driving it. The actuator has now failed and the tongue now slides in and out freely and the bunks look bad, hence the refurb. As I was jacking the boat up I realized how bad the trailer is. The front V bunk wood was so bad that when the boat came off the wood basically disintegrated. When I pulled the trailer up some to get a better look at the other bunks I noticed (besides the carpet having been taped down with duct tape which is no longer there) that there is a chunk of rusted metal missing near the front where the wood bolts to the frame. It’s so bad that where the bolt is I can actually bend the metal and could probably pull the bolt off through the hole by hand. Noticing that, I noticed a crack in the metal that goes through the right top part of the frame from the top toward the ground. I then climbed under and discovered that everything has horrible flaking rust on it. Wish I had pictures but the camera is not cooperating. Now for the questions:
1.) How long can I leave it on blocks before having to worry about chine lock? My dad said if it sit on blocks and the engine is not supported it'll happen.

2.) I'm handy and if I had the correct tools (welder, etc.) I believe I could do the work myself it would just take a long time. I have some money set aside but not nearly enough to buy tools and then be able to buy the things to refurb. Does anyone know of someone within a 3 hour drive of Middle TN selling a trailer ($700 or under) that will fit a 1985 Stars and Stripes?

3.) Any suggestions to help me get her back on a roadworthy trailer would greatly be appreciated. Keep in mind funds are limited, the boat is off the not roadworthy trailer, and I can't afford a slip let alone a way to get it there.

Sorry for the long post. Let the ideas fly.Local fab shop can fix it. Don't worry about the boat sitting for several weeks. Seven hundred dollars will go a good ways in fab shop. Have a welder go over it wherever it needs reinforcement or repair. You should have money left over to buy bearings and races for the hubs.

I too have some brackish wear on a boat / trailer I bought from the Tampa area. I will never buy another boat or trailer on a coastal state. What wasn't I thinking?

For the weight of an 85 (I have had many of these era boats) I wouldn't worry about the brakes as long as you are not in the "Can my 4-cylinder BMW tow this boat" club.

madcityskier
05-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Why not build a cradle to support it? You can use the trailer as a model and build it so that bunks will be the same as the trailer.

Cloaked
05-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Trailer. It needs a little work but it looks solid. I'd offer $500 and bring it back to put the cradle on it.

Cincy is not that far ~ 4.5 hrs from Cookeville.

This trailer has been posted for several weeks now.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/boa/2964189199.html

thatsmrmastercraft
05-03-2012, 01:24 AM
Nothing like surprises when it comes to trailers and rust. I agree with cloaked......a welding shop may be the ticket. I would probably give the trailer a thorough going over checking for how many more weak spots there are before deciding your next step. Probably worth getting it all the way out from under your boat so you can get a better look at what's going on.

My '77 sits on a tandem without brakes so the weight has to be similar and I have no trouble stopping with my F150.

oxberger
05-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Guys, thanks for the advice. I guess I need to pull the trailer out the rest of the way to get really up and personal with it. Any idea about chine lock occuring from leaving the boat up on blocks? I hate rust. Cloaked, I have an email in to the guy with the trailer in Cinci. If he gets back to me any questions I should ask? I've already asked what year it came from (not that it matters all that much since the hulls from the 80's didn't really change), I asked about the brakes and if the paint was done by a professional. I'm kind of curious as to why he has a trailer and no boat, but I need the trailer so who cares. Also, if anyone else has some ideas if this doesn't pan out. I'm not against the machine shop. I'm just looking for additional options. Thanks again.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Guys, thanks for the advice. I guess I need to pull the trailer out the rest of the way to get really up and personal with it. Any idea about chine lock occuring from leaving the boat up on blocks? I hate rust. Cloaked, I have an email in to the guy with the trailer in Cinci. If he gets back to me any questions I should ask? I've already asked what year it came from (not that it matters all that much since the hulls from the 80's didn't really change), I asked about the brakes and if the paint was done by a professional. I'm kind of curious as to why he has a trailer and no boat, but I need the trailer so who cares. Also, if anyone else has some ideas if this doesn't pan out. I'm not against the machine shop. I'm just looking for additional options. Thanks again.

You should be qualified to ask the right questions after finding all the bad spots on your trailer.

oxberger
05-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks Pete, but the only thing I think I'm qualified for is pointing out neglect. :D I was so excited when I got this thing that I worried about it running more than being able to get it back and forth to the lake safely and now I have to suffer for being a moron.

mzimme
05-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks Pete, but the only thing I think I'm qualified for is pointing out neglect. :D I was so excited when I got this thing that I worried about it running more than being able to get it back and forth to the lake safely and now I have to suffer for being a moron.

The good news is that you can (potentially) get out of a bad situation for not a ton of money...

Good luck to you!

thatsmrmastercraft
05-03-2012, 01:51 PM

A person can't own a boat without feeling like a moron from time to time. And what good would a fully rebuilt trailer do you if your boat wouldn't run. Time, money and ambition seldom knock on the door at the same time. You will get there.

oxberger
05-03-2012, 01:57 PM
A person can't own a boat without feeling like a moron from time to time. And what good would a fully rebuilt trailer do you if your boat wouldn't run. Time, money and ambition seldom knock on the door at the same time. You will get there.

Truer words have rarely been said. Thanks!

oxberger
05-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Ok folks. I got a response from the seller in Cinci. Here's what he sent back:

'Mike,

The trailer is still available. The tires are Super Road Service 7.00-14LTs. They look at least 3 or 4 years old, maybe older. They show no signs of dry rot.

The trailer was hit with a wire brush grinder to remove all paint. We used Zinc Oxide primer and a couple coats of Rustoleum. The sun is starting to fade the paint since there is not a boat on top of it. Also, the paint is peeling on the fenders.

The trailer has no brakes. They usually don't on a trailer that size.

I'm unaware of the age of the trailer. The total length of the trailer is 22'2" and from the winch to the end of the trailer is 19'8".

Also, I have a tandem axle Arlo Industries tandem axle inboard trailer for sale. It is on craigslist and is more of a project. I would need close to $1,200 for that one.

Thanks,"

So the paint job isn't professional, the fiberglass was painted and shouldn't have been, judging from his statement regarding the brakes he has no clue (based on what I've learned the surge brakes started being standard in '84 or '85 (don't quote me on that, it may have just been an option)). I looked at the picture in the add a little closer and it appears it doesn't have a prop guard or guide posts. The price is OK ($649), I wouldn't pay that especially if I had to pick it up in Cinci from Nashville. I think this is a pass. A good friend mentioned contacting a local boat shop and see who they use for wielding and conatct the welder or check Craigslist for a handyman welder (Thanks Pete). I may also check the local trade schools. If I do take it to a welder I am having a new prop guard put on with urathane rollers, will probably have a mount for a winch put on, and L brackets for the Boat Mat straps as mentioned in Mari Star mans thread. Any other suggestions for improving the trailer or other options for a trailer?

mzimme
05-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Another option might be taking it to a local high school with a shop/welding class. You'd probably get it done for next to nothing.

oxberger
05-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Another option might be taking it to a local high school with a shop/welding class. You'd probably get it done for next to nothing.

I was thinking of that too (great minds think alike), but I'm going to have to research if any of the high schools around me still teach useful stuff like that. Where I grew up there were vocational schools that taught that kind of stuff (electrical, welding, body/paint, etc.)

mzimme
05-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Still thinking out loud here, but do you have any local prisons? I saw a thread on here of a guy that had his interior done by inmates on work release. Never know..

oxberger
05-03-2012, 04:17 PM
I saw that thread too. Good idea. I'll have to check that out as well. There is a huge prison here in the Middle TN area.

helton333
05-03-2012, 04:29 PM
I am in Murfreesboro - I know Cleveland Boat center (Cleveland, TN - MC dealer) use to keep several MC trailers on hand - used ones. If one has been sitting a couple years, price is likely really negotiable I would think. Where do you boat - centerhill?

oxberger
05-03-2012, 04:38 PM
When the boat was running, I was going to Percy Priest. I know everyone hates that lake and I'm not really fond of it either, but it was the closest and with the questionable trailer the easiest to get to. I'll have to look into them. I've never heard of them. Are they pretty good guys to deal with?

thatsmrmastercraft
05-03-2012, 05:32 PM
That trailer in Cincinnati is probably and late 70's trailer before they started putting prop-guards on as a standard thing. Same with the brakes. I bet the guide post brackets are there without posts - might be beat up. Not a bad price for a trailer if it had new tires on it. Kind of a long way to haul an unknown trailer back. You're probably right to pass on it.

mzimme
05-03-2012, 05:34 PM
That trailer in Cincinnati is probably and late 70's trailer before they started putting prop-guards on as a standard thing. Same with the brakes. I bet the guide post brackets are there without posts - might be beat up. Not a bad price for a trailer if it had new tires on it. Kind of a long way to haul an unknown trailer back. You're probably right to pass on it.

My '83 trailer has no prop guard :(

thatsmrmastercraft
05-03-2012, 05:36 PM
My '83 trailer has no prop guard :(

Never had one or was removed prior to you getting it?

mzimme
05-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Never had one or was removed prior to you getting it?

Well, it's not on there now. I guess I haven't looked for any signs of one being there previously, but I can't imagine why the PO would have taken it off. I'm the 3rd owner of the boat, the previous owner owned it the prior 25 years. My prop has scraped the concrete in the past too, I'll need to get it refurbed here when I gather some more funds.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Well, it's not on there now. I guess I haven't looked for any signs of one being there previously, but I can't imagine why the PO would have taken it off. I'm the 3rd owner of the boat, the previous owner owned it the prior 25 years. My prop has scraped the concrete in the past too, I'll need to get it refurbed here when I gather some more funds.

A lot of trailers were ordered stripped down. Plenty had no winch, so it wouldn't be a surprise if yours came without the prop-guard. I have seen a few pics over the years of people getting their prop-guards caught and damaged. My prop-guard has a custom bend from the previous owner. It needs to be replaced with a new version with rollers one of these days.

millpondkid
05-03-2012, 11:48 PM
My 84 has no prop gaurd either and I'm certain its the original trailer.

oxberger
05-04-2012, 08:47 AM
I looked at mine last nigth and realized I do not have a prop guard on my. Definately will be adding that. Found a Technical school to call thats close by (got me thinking about maybe taking some classes too) and inquire about them working on the trailer. Did not get a chance to contact a local welder and Cleveland TN Mastercraft dealer did not answer when I called, but the may have either been busy or closed it was late in the day. Still have a question about chine lock occuring from the boat sitting on blocks for extended period of time, does anyone have an ideas or know for sure?