PDA

View Full Version : Wake plate installation 93 Prostar

Jeff Lyman
05-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Finally completed the installation of Bennetts X-14 wake plate on my boat. The idea here is to attempt a softer and smaller wake at shorter slalom lengths. The theory here by pushing down with the plate and raising up the transom out of the water leveling the boat makes for a smaller hole in the water. Will see soon when the water warms up enough to ski.

Because of space limitations I mounted the pump up front under the windshield and had to purchase addtional hose to do this. The actuators had to be trimmed at the top to get the correct angle for a decent negative plate angle to keep it out of the water when up. Also I had to drill a new set of holes 1.5 inches back on the plate actuator bracket to get a 5\8 inch negative angle to. A little more work but done right. The hoses come thru the transom without much issue but close to the tiller arm. I tie straped them up to the transom toe eye to keep them up out of the way. I did have to make my own gauge and switch panel out of a piece of alluminum. I could of drilled holes in the dash somewhere but decided a nice looking bracket will do fine and is removable.

Also fixed my broken fuel sender thanks to team talk! Now Im giving back! Pictures should help some but from my cell phone sorry. I'll report back soon on if it was all worth it. I must say Bennetts people were great to deal with always emailing or calling when needed, cheers!

east tx skier
05-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Let us know how the wake is. Looks like my brother in law's supra. Not sure if it does much on his boat, but we have never played with it much.

jamisonsbrodie
05-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Are you trying to eliminate the wake entirely? Because the wake on a 93 PS190 is already one of the smallest out there, especially shortline. Now spray is a different story!!!!! I can see doing this on a 209, but a 190?

Jerseydave
05-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Interesting.....your version of a hydra-gate! :D

Let us know how it works out with the wake. If it's a sucess, I'm sure some 205 and 209 owners would like to install one!

east tx skier
05-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Interesting.....your version of a hydra-gate! :D

Let us know how it works out with the wake. If it's a sucess, I'm sure some 205 and 209 owners would like to install one!

When I had my 205, I talked to a MC glass guru in Dallas about adding a little more hook to my 93. He laughed and said it would be hard to make that wake much better. :)

I'm sticking with my Supra Comp comparison.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/351259.jpg

Jeff Lyman
05-02-2012, 09:40 PM
It will be interesting if it works. No one will complain if the wake is smaller! A few less " over the fronts" cant hurt anyone. We have a big lake we live on to and it can get rough. Im hopeing to use the plate to push the bow down and use the v to cut the water some more. Its looking like a couple weeks before we can ski (cold water) but the boats going in the water in a few days so I should be able to tell if it was worth it.

Kyle
05-02-2012, 11:38 PM
What exactly are you trying to accomplish here. The '93 190 has a world class wake. Spray is not great at -35 or shorter and there is a head tail wind but damn I love my wake.

Jorski
05-03-2012, 11:53 AM
What Kyle said!

I have a '93 190...wake is better than my buddy's 197 (even though that is sweet enough).

MIskier
05-03-2012, 12:55 PM
His signature shows that he skis at 31mph?? On the first run I would be very careful with that tab, you are likely to get some weird handling characteristics. The boat is likely to want to bow steer as well as be a bear to handle in the turns.

Jeff Lyman
05-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Agree with all of ya. Kyle its a 205 and frankly I usally ski in the courses behind friends late 90's bu's and absolutely LOVE their wake. My Prostar is almost as good but noticably harder and taller in the wake area at full length to 22 off only but with that said I wouldnt own any other boat! 1300 hours and it still looks like new.

MI, Ive since increased speeds to 32 & 34 in the course but my daughter and other young up and coming skiers are still comfortable in the lower 30's where the wake is a mountain. Were hopeing the plate will help in those lower speeds. Its hydralic and adjustable on the fly at the helm so bow steering can be managed. I set it up so the plate can be fully lifted out of the water.

east tx skier
05-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Which prop are you running. The Acme 541 fattened out my old 205's wake a bit. I hear you about the bit larger wake in the early 30 mph range. You might try a little weight in the nose (try 50 lbs) to get the bow down as well.

I finally found a fix to my 205 at lower speeds, but it's not cheap. First, you have to unscrew the throttle knob. Then, you have to buy a 1998 Ski Nautique. After that, you screw the old throttle knob onto the throttle lever of the new boat. No wake, even at long line and slow speeds.

I kid. ;) Seriously, let us know how it works. I pulled skiers into 35 off at 34 mph behind my old 205. But, like you, I ski 30 mph in the course, and it's a bit different.

DooSPX
05-03-2012, 10:35 PM
I am extremely interested in this! Get the boat in the water!!!!! LOL! I have been thinking about this for years actually. Even though my boat has a great wake, everything can be better!

east tx skier
05-03-2012, 10:39 PM
I am extremely interested in this! Get the boat in the water!!!!! LOL! I have been thinking about this for years actually. Even though my boat has a great wake, everything can be better!

Seriously, consider leaving it alone with your 190. I have a superb wake behind my current boat. I read about a lot of people putting weight in the bow of the newer Nautiques. I tried it and the thing plowed water at idle, handled like cr@p, and didn't ski any better. I put it back to stock and get rave reviews from my friend with a 2010 197 TT, i.e. smallest wake he's ever seen.

Whatever you do, make it temporary. A duck tape hook will give you an idea.

DooSPX
05-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Good idea about the the duck tape hook. Just a old ski line covered in tape right at the trailing edge of the stern correct?

east tx skier
05-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Good idea about the the duck tape hook. Just a old ski line covered in tape right at the trailing edge of the stern correct?

Someone on here did that once. They may have taken a piece of plastic and formed the duct tape around it. Just extend the hook that's already there very slightly and go from there.

Kyle
05-04-2012, 12:40 AM
It doesn't matter 91-94 190's or 92-95 205's the chine spray is the only thing I would change. I run the same behind both boats. I ski behind my 93 190 and my friends 93 205. The wake pattern and softness are too close to choose perfect that I can't find a thing to complain about. Now the 98 ski Nautique has an extremely nice wake and softer than mine. The only changes I would make is trying to elimate spray at shortline.

DooSPX
05-04-2012, 09:45 AM
I have to wonder if lifting the stern a tad would change the chine spray? I would bet it would slightly, as I can see a difference (not length. more how much water is coming up and out) with weight I have in the back at the time.

cbryan70
05-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Seriously, consider leaving it alone with your 190. I have a superb wake behind my current boat. I read about a lot of people putting weight in the bow of the newer Nautiques. I tried it and the thing plowed water at idle, handled like cr@p, and didn't ski any better. I put it back to stock and get rave reviews from my friend with a 2010 197 TT, i.e. smallest wake he's ever seen.

Whatever you do, make it temporary. A duck tape hook will give you an idea.

What kind of duck tape? I tried this and the tape flew off

east tx skier
05-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Someone on here went that route back in the day. I don't know how they kept it on that long.

cbryan70
05-04-2012, 12:13 PM
I have wanted to test this to see if it would fix my porpoise problem. I don't want to do anything permanent until I know it will fix it.

east tx skier
05-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Try hanging about 50--80 lbs of weight in a canvas bag from the underside of the lifting ring. A little weight in the nose might accomplish something similar.

DooSPX
05-04-2012, 05:20 PM
That's a good idea! I have to look for some weight to hang in the nose one time! Of course our darn lake needs to come up about 3 feet before I can even get the darn thing off the trailer!! :(

east tx skier
05-04-2012, 07:19 PM
I tried it in my current boat and hated it. Didn't ski any better (it skis amazing to begin with) and handled like cr@p and plowed water at idle. That was just 50 lbs. Removed it immediately and haven't bothered with it since.

Jeff Lyman
05-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Well.... I ran the boat with the wake plate. Had very little time only 2 passes and back on the lift. First impression an increase in stability tracking which felt like it leveled out the boat by pushing the bow down more than lifting the transom up. It appeared to flaten the wake some but hard to tell unless your sking as you all know. There was a noticable 2nd wake within the normal wake. It was small and would not make a difference skiing for sure. It must be the wake made from the plate in the water. I will post some pics of it soon.

I may lower the plate some more by redrilling the actuator mount bracket. I rather find the extreme where you say to yourself thats "to far". I can tell the boat hull does not react as well to trim as does deep V hulls. Which probably is the effect of a hull thats not designed to lift with no strakes. The huge hook in theses hulls from the factory does just the opposite. I would not increase the hook it is already alot atleast the wake plate is adjustable. Our old race boats we use to blueprint hulls and remove the speed killing hooks, cant believe I like them now!

I will get back with pics and more info as I test it. Got to go get my 2nd hoist for the boat today thats going up to my camp so we can stop towing this boat all over.

I have an idea for the short line chine spray next, even at 22 off I feel it or see it to close to my face. Another bad trait of the infamous 90 to 94 hulls. As you can tell the wife isnt letting me buy a newer 197 TT boat..... yet! Sorry east TX skier just couldnt go to a SN. Although a guy near my home invited me to ski his personal course at his house behind his newer SN. It would be the first.

ahhudgins
05-05-2012, 09:53 AM
I have wanted to test this to see if it would fix my porpoise problem. I don't want to do anything permanent until I know it will fix it.

Thatís the same dilemma I had with my Maristar200 and itís porpoising problem. My local dealer has never added a hook to a hull before and I wanted to make sure a hook or a wake plate would solve the problem. If you search ďporpoisingĒ Iím sure you will run across my threads. The bow rode high and it porpoised at barefoot speeds.

I cut a piece of nylon in the shape of a wedge and used ďGoopĒ to glue it to the bottom of the hull. I smeared a good bit of it on the leading edge and itís been there for 3 years now.
I started with ľ inch at the trailing edge and it pushed the bow down too much. I slowly filed the trailing edge and 3/16 seems to be the sweet spot. The boat planes quicker, handles like a DD and no more porpoising. I lost about 1 mph at top end but Iím scared to file any more off. One day when it falls off Iíll add the wake plate for a winter project.
Iím just an open water slalom skier and I couldnít tell you if it affected the shape of the wake.

east tx skier
05-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Well.... I ran the boat with the wake plate. Had very little time only 2 passes and back on the lift. First impression an increase in stability tracking which felt like it leveled out the boat by pushing the bow down more than lifting the transom up. It appeared to flaten the wake some but hard to tell unless your sking as you all know. There was a noticable 2nd wake within the normal wake. It was small and would not make a difference skiing for sure. It must be the wake made from the plate in the water. I will post some pics of it soon.

I may lower the plate some more by redrilling the actuator mount bracket. I rather find the extreme where you say to yourself thats "to far". I can tell the boat hull does not react as well to trim as does deep V hulls. Which probably is the effect of a hull thats not designed to lift with no strakes. The huge hook in theses hulls from the factory does just the opposite. I would not increase the hook it is already alot atleast the wake plate is adjustable. Our old race boats we use to blueprint hulls and remove the speed killing hooks, cant believe I like them now!

I will get back with pics and more info as I test it. Got to go get my 2nd hoist for the boat today thats going up to my camp so we can stop towing this boat all over.

I have an idea for the short line chine spray next, even at 22 off I feel it or see it to close to my face. Another bad trait of the infamous 90 to 94 hulls. As you can tell the wife isnt letting me buy a newer 197 TT boat..... yet! Sorry east TX skier just couldnt go to a SN. Although a guy near my home invited me to ski his personal course at his house behind his newer SN. It would be the first.

Don't worry. You won't hurt my feelings. ;) But give it a try behind your friend's boat.

For the chine spray, you might try hooking the end of the spray relief pocket. I have heard of its being done, but have never seen it in the flesh. The increased spray may be due to the attitude adjustment from the wake plate (not sure if that's what you were trying to say or not). At any rate, you change one thing, and two things pop up. Keep chasing it. You might end up back at bone stock and perfectly happy. :)

DooSPX
05-07-2012, 10:54 AM
lurking.....

Jeff Lyman
05-07-2012, 09:25 PM
I havent had a chance to run it again and would prefer to just ski it. This weekend isnt looking good either with mothers day. Keep checking Doo.

Jeff Lyman
05-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Oh ya forgot East TX my boat has a 4 blade OJ the popular size. I have a used acme too but the origonal boat owner said he liked the Oj better for skiing??? Maybe i should try it.

east tx skier
05-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Oh ya forgot East TX my boat has a 4 blade OJ the popular size. I have a used acme too but the origonal boat owner said he liked the Oj better for skiing??? Maybe i should try it.

I don't have any experience running a four blade OJ on that hull. My father in law used to have an old 13x13 and it pulled like crazy. He has an XMP and it's smoother, but doesn't seem to hit quite as hard out of the hole.

I have an acme 4 blade and an original OJ on my current boat. The acme was an improvement, but it's not exactly a fair comparison given the OJ's age and the fact that the OJ was hand cut/finished versus the acme that was CNC'd.

Both companies make great props. I recommend calling both, getting recommendations, and comparing side by side. I would be suspicious of any recommendation of one brand over another from someone who hasn't tried both. I know people who have. Some people like one. Some people like the other. Some say it's too close to call.

DooSPX
05-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Eric always bases his props on how they feel to the skier...

east tx skier
05-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Eric always bases his props on how they feel to the skier...

How does Acme "base" its props? How does Eric know how a prop feels to a skier before that particular skier skis behind a boat with that prop? Don't get me wrong, I think Eric is a fantastic representative of his company. I think they make great props. I have corresponded with him multiple times on the subject, and I don't have an agenda. Eric is generous with his time on this forum and the information he provides on his product. He was generous in helping me test his product against the competition and even sent me a prop puller that I still have so I could do the test. I was honest in that test and there was really not a clear result.

I have spoken to Bill Weeks at Acme on several occasions as well. But having compared two identically spec'd props and having skied behind multiple boats equipped with various acme and/or OJ XMP props, all I can honestly conclude is that they are very different in many respects. One is not generally superior.

So without doing apples to oranges comparisons, without knowing exactly what a person is looking for ... apart from loyalty to a company, how can a person know what suits him best?

Since we are talking about a 93, here is what I can offer on the subject. It's a 205, but it may be helpful.

Prop Comparison. OJ XMP 13x12 versus Acme 541
(www.tylerskiclub.com/proptest.pdf)

See also BrianM's comparison done on his 1995 190 with, IIRC 4 different props, 2 acme and 2 OJ XMP.

DooSPX
05-07-2012, 09:59 PM
That I do not know, just what I heard and read. Very good point Doug!

I did ask Eric about the 13x12 Acme compared to the 13x12 XMP, he said that due to the blade design, the 13x11 or 11.5 is more comparable.

east tx skier
05-07-2012, 10:44 PM
That I do not know, just what I heard and read. Very good point Doug!

I did ask Eric about the 13x12 Acme compared to the 13x12 XMP, he said that due to the blade design, the 13x11 or 11.5 is more comparable.

Yes, he told me the same thing. I do acknowledge that fact in my comparison. For the sake of comparison though, I thought it was better to do identically sized props.

DooSPX
05-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Is your SN a TCS2 (or whatever the classification is) hull? I would love to ski behind one, I always hear everyone rave about the wake. I love my 190, but I would like to compare. Maybe I need to make a trip to TX... every lake here is dry as a bone.

east tx skier
05-07-2012, 10:56 PM
It is a TSC1. The TSC2 is, if I'm honest, a touch better for slalom, but from 1997--2009, the SN has an epic slalom wake--super soft and barely distinguishable between years. The Acme 422 is stock from the 2002 or so forward and works great on 1997--2001 as well.

/all this is for slalom. The TSC1 rules for overall 3 event. TSC2 was cr@p for trick.

damaged442
05-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Hopefully you'll get out and ski it soon! I was driving along Beach Rd in Cicero and Oneida looked pretty calm on Sunday. I came across the bridge over the river on Caughdenoy Rd and there was a huge tree floating in the middle of the river. It's tough when you really want to get out and ski, but there is a LOT of crap in the water!

BTW, nice looking RSX out in front of the shop.

DooSPX
05-09-2012, 08:19 PM
updates?

Jeff Lyman
05-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Hey Damaged 442, You have a tri star I think you drove by my house last summer there was a female in the boat with you dont remember the color? Im looking forward to trying the wake plate but the water is still alittle cold. Were skiing every Tuesday night soon if you want to try it call my shop. Yes that RSX is a nice car never driven in the winter but was the meat in a sandwich wreck recently. Hopefully it goes quick!

DooSPX
05-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Ok Jeff, break out the wetsuit and get behind the boat and lets hear some updates on the ski-ability?? :)

Jerseydave
05-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Im looking forward to trying the wake plate but the water is still alittle cold.

C'mon Jeff.....we've been skiing here for 4 weeks already! Get out there buddy! :D

Jeff Lyman
05-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Wow pressures on! Maybe this Sunday I'll get the wet suit out. If my wife would stop busting up our tractor and someone else in my family could edge the landscaping and spread mulch..... I would of skied this weekend.

Jeff Lyman
05-20-2012, 08:16 AM
BREAKING NEWS.............. the wake plate test is complete (except pictures). It was very postive and done free skiing no course. The first run was with it up and out of the water the return run was all the way down. The skier gave a quick thumbs up after 4 cuts when down! The skier was a 28 off 34 mph skier that usally skis Bu boats of the late 90's that have awsume wakes. He commented how the plate took the hook out of the wake and noticabley flattend it out.

I skied 2nd, same run ( on my new Radar Vice!). I found the same positive thing no hook and can add the center of the wake was more bubbly or turbulant than without. The turbulent center was soft. It got to the point where I did not pay any attention to crossing the wake after a while.

We skied at 15 off and 34mph. It appeared the chine spray was less but we need to run shorter lines to make sure it was effected to. For those concerned with bow steer, dont worry it does not happen. Infact the boat tracked and drove better I believe because more of the bow section of the hull was in the water. Were on a narrow river here and need to make tight turns. With the plate all the way down it felt like the boat turned better and sharper again because more hull in the water. The hull did not slide thru the corners as much a huge plus for us to stay out of the trees! Yes with people in the bow it may "blow out" easier.

We also went out on the lake with a boat load. In a 6 to 10 inch wind chop the plate performed just as well. The ability to put the bow down farther helped to soften the ride. My son while sitting in the bow looks back with a big thumbs up and smile as I lower the plate, he felt it.

The draw backs are first the cost about 650.00 and second for those that cant seem to believe that if MC didnt install it so dont do it, your nuts and missing out! Also there are many holes to add to your boat that is already full of screws and holes, so what. The kit was the Bennet 14 inch with the gauge. I would not have it without the gauge its nice to be able to see wether its down or up or just half way.

Any question bring them on. I will get some pics soon but dont really think you will see much. Angle is critcal so if you install one use my numbers here. I may try adjusting the actuator bracket to lower it somemore (see the 2nd set of holes in the plate I already drilled) but suspect it may be to much or not needed. Those with older hulls in the late 80's need this plate much more than my 93. I know them well and I HATE skiing behind them. Tuesday nite a friend with a 2003 BU and great ski boat will be trying my plate out cant wait to here his thoughts. I bet he agrees we NOW have very similar wakes to compare. Im going to contact Bennett and have them go to this blog to get a better understanding of the plate so they can assist others even better than they did me.

So this was the best 650 spent on my Prostar PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerseydave
05-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Glad to hear those results Jeff! I'm sure others with 205's and 80's skiers will appreciate your boat being the first one with the plate. (guenea pig)

Side note.....are you going to the northeast reunion @ Castaway Lake George?

BrooksfamX2
05-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Nice!........

Jeff Lyman
05-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Jersey Dave when is the Lake George deal? I have relatives there.

To add to my plate experience it was all done with a full tank of gas! I know it was full because I repaired the sender while the tank was out after reading about the process here, thanks.

east tx skier
05-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Glad it worked out for you. Let's see some pictures!

Jerseydave
05-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Jersey Dave when is the Lake George deal? I have relatives there.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=46992

July 14th weekend

DooSPX
05-21-2012, 08:12 AM
WOW! Great review Jeff! Thank you! So tempting!

DooSPX
05-21-2012, 02:02 PM
BTW, post back after your BU buddy ski's it!

DooSPX
05-29-2012, 09:42 PM
OK Jeff! Lets get some updates... you are MIA on BOS and here about this plate of yours! :)

Jeff Lyman
06-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Sorry business first play second.... been busy! We skied it into 22 off Tuesday with the same good wake response as longer lines shorter and much softer. 28 off will be next week but we notice a rooster in the center thats at around 28 or for sure into 32 off. BUT, so far the wake center is soft and we expect the same with the rooster. No pictures yet I keep forgetting. Very poisitive results in cornering ability as I said before. On the river turning is important and the hull slides allot less than without the plate, I notice it every time out. We dont even raise the plate up anymore so a fixed plate is not out of the question for others.

I did ski as a comparison this weekend with my favorite Bu boats. Yes my Prostar is now softer and shorter wake heights or at least identical. Must say its taking time to get use to my new Radar Vice and Vector boots. Not ready for the course with it yet.

Stay tuned...........

davidstan
06-03-2012, 02:36 PM

This is as far up plate will go on its own. Does anyone else have this issue? If so what causes it my neighbor has x15 and his goes all the way up. Does angle look like it drags? Sorry to jack but wasnt able to start thread from my ph. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DooSPX
06-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Jeff, your rooster bump is at 28-32 off? hmm, strange. My 190 including most I have seen the bump is at 22 off and gone by -28? Looking forward to the pictures and loving the results with the soft wake!

Jeff Lyman
06-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Doo we skied at 28 off tonight super soft wake and rooster. Its actually more of a double rooster I think coming directly off the plate it self. My bu buddy couldnt believe how soft it was and better then 22 for sure. Not to take away 22 still very good. I really feel the chine spray is less to now getting to shorter ropes.

Sorry no pics again, been struggling with my POS Holley fish bowl carb shutting off. New carb comming not rebuilding this thing again.

David that plate is WAY low! I would guess it should come up to atleast level with the horizontal run of the hull. It could have a problem with the actuator, try unbolting it from the plate and manually push it up. If it moves you may have a pump issue or a leak and low on fluid.

DooSPX
06-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Doo we skied at 28 off tonight super soft wake and rooster. Its actually more of a double rooster I think coming directly off the plate it self. My bu buddy couldnt believe how soft it was and better then 22 for sure. Not to take away 22 still very good. I really feel the chine spray is less to now getting to shorter ropes.

Sorry no pics again, been struggling with my POS Holley fish bowl carb shutting off. New carb comming not rebuilding this thing again.

David that plate is WAY low! I would guess it should come up to atleast level with the horizontal run of the hull. It could have a problem with the actuator, try unbolting it from the plate and manually push it up. If it moves you may have a pump issue or a leak and low on fluid.

Can you get a visual estimate of the spray with the plate down vs up?

davidstan
06-07-2012, 06:57 PM
I can actually push the plate up another inch manually and the spray difference is huge up vs down. I think when I am under way the plate by force of the water comes more to level but at low speed it prolly hangs down like pictured.

east tx skier
06-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Wake pics. This thread worthless ... without.

DooSPX
06-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Wake pics. This thread worthless ... without.

I'm with him! :D

Jeff Lyman
06-07-2012, 10:05 PM
I understand..... Skiing has been more important than bringing the camera with us I guess. New 4160 carb going on as soon as it shows up. Im going to melt that fish bowl and recycle the metal, POS!

DooSPX
06-08-2012, 08:43 AM
We are just pulling your leg Jeff... though we are waiting for pics when you can. :)

93ProStar205
06-08-2012, 11:57 AM
I can actually push the plate up another inch manually and the spray difference is huge up vs down. I think when I am under way the plate by force of the water comes more to level but at low speed it prolly hangs down like pictured.

Going to guess a broken actuator there. Lencos are motorized screw-type actuators so I would assume a portion of the drive screw has broken away inside the housing allowing the tab to extend but not fully pull back when retracting.

jfw432
06-08-2012, 02:37 PM
I recently did this to my boat as well. It's actually an old 86 Dixie Super Skier 299 and not a Mastercraft though. I used to love the wake behind my boat even compared to a Stars and Stripes MC or an early 90's Prostar. Then I skied behind a 99 Nautique a few weeks ago and was instantly disapointed with my wake.

I installed the Bennett X-18 on my boat and the new wake looks a lot more like the Nautiques but I haven't had the chance to ski it yet. The plan is to get out this afternoon. My chine spray didn't change much that I can tell though but it's hard to say for sure when it's just me in the boat vs me and a few friends. My boat doesn't track quite as well with the wakeplate all the way down though. Nothing serious but the steering wheel does require constant input now.

I actually took pictures and video yesterday evening but when I got back and looked at them, they were useless because of the angle that they were taken (too low trying to stabilize the camera).

jfw432
06-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Ok I just got back in from trying out my new wakeplate and it's awesome! It smooths the slalom wake out massively but you can overdo it. Too much will actually start to make the wake worse. When I say worse, it's still better than without but not as good as about 75% down behind my boat.

After I tested slalom, I put the wakeplate all the way back up so we could all wakeboard. The strangest part is the wakeplate not only smoothed out the center of the wake at low speeds but it also made the wake itself taller and more lippy. I didn't say anything about the wake but the first two people to wakeboard behind the boat were blown away by the difference. One of the girls would typically clear the wake every other time but she was clearing it every time now. My direct drive boat is now better than my friends older wakeboarding boat.

If you're considering a newer boat because you like the wake better, give this a shot first. I'm a believer...

Jeff Lyman
06-09-2012, 04:31 PM
jfw... nice to here Im not the only one doing this modification. You mentioned you can go to far down with the plate slaloming to get the best wake. Where ever the best point is have you measured how far down it is in relation to the horizontal serface of the hull? Is your wake softer to, mine is noticably.

I was thinking about remounting my bracket to go farther down but thinking Im pretty close to "best" at around 3 inches.

jfw432
06-09-2012, 06:20 PM
I have not measured but I certainly can. I left the wakeplate where it was one the way back to my dock the other day so I could see exactly where it was. I looked and noticed it was slightly below the horizontal plane. I had 4 others in the boat at the time so I'm curious to see if it's also still the perfect setting with less weight in the boat. It's raining right now so I can't go measure or test right now.

One thing about my install was that the end of my wakeplate is about 2" above where it's supposed to be per the instructions. Due to the wider plate, I had to mount it a little higher because my hull has a slightly deeper V than the nautiques or mastercrafts.

Here are two side pictures of mine that I have saved showing full up and full down. Sorry night time photos...

east tx skier
06-09-2012, 09:13 PM
I understand..... Skiing has been more important than bringing the camera with us I guess. New 4160 carb going on as soon as it shows up. Im going to melt that fish bowl and recycle the metal, POS!

If the 4010 was recently rebuilt, throw it on ebay. I got $75 for mine with full disclosure of why I hated it.

tph
06-11-2012, 03:37 PM
I fabricated a plate (Tab) for my '83 back in '86 to close the powerslot. It knocked down the rooster tail.

jfw432
06-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Here are the pictures of the wake at different stages. I tried to take them at roughly the same angle. Speed is 30mph. 75% down on the wakeplate is the best looking IMO. 100% down on a long line might be really good since the wake is flatter but on a short line the rooster tails look awful. I haven't skied that short or long line yet so I couldn't tell for sure. Getting my friends to adjust it while in motion is just asking for trouble...

It's hard to tell height differences between the 3 wakes so I'll summarize. 0% is the tallest wake with pronounced lips on each side. 75% has a very smooth transition and noticeably shallower wake with a single rooster tail. 100% is the shallowest wake but due to the spray from the wakeplate itself, it recreates the two lips that were gone before.

DooSPX
06-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the pictures jfw432!

WOW! tph!!! Thats some great fabrication there! It looks great!

Jeff Lyman
06-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Finally heres some pics, the first is with the plate down all the way at 34 mph. You can notice the double roosters appear at about 28 off and notice the wake behind the hook goes away at what would be a long line. The next is without the plate all the way up. It was a rough day on the river. I have great video but could not get it to load. I ask a skier at 15 off if he noticed when I lifted the plate he said "oh ya didnt like it" The double rooster is very soft and unoticable when skiing. The guy taking the pics and video said the chine spray was noticably less witht the plate down. We never raise the plate it stays down all the time now.

The new 4160 carb works great noticably less fumes at the swim plate form and not once has it just shut off for no aparent reason. Texas... looks like Ill be pulling the old carb out of the trash and putting it on ebay, thanks.

east tx skier
06-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the picture. Do those double rooster tails get noticed skiing at 28 off?

jfw432
06-15-2012, 01:34 PM
That's funny because your first picture actually looks like it would be worse but obviously it's massively better if everyone being pulled loves it more. Could be the chop around the wake making it look funny though.

Jeff Lyman
06-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Ya the pictures dont do it justice it was rough that evening. We will get other pics when its nicer. Texas the roosters are meaning less to skiing. We noticed the plate also takes away the table inbetween the wakes. On other boats there seems to ba a table between the wakes not now its much flater. I do think that my plate goes down far enough. Good luck to anyone installing one I thnk it was a great investment.