PDA

View Full Version : bushing/bearings

joeyklug1
08-17-2005, 01:37 PM
i have removed my driveshaft form my boat and i am trying to figure out how to remove the strut bearings does anyone have any good ideas on how to go about this

thanks

87Craft
08-17-2005, 01:48 PM
what model boat do you have?

jimmer2880
08-17-2005, 02:22 PM
I've taken a hacksaw blade & cut through one of the bushings (the one closest to the rear), then after that one is removed, drive the other one out using a socket just small enough to fit inside the strut & a hammer.

There are others on here with better ideas though - I just can't remember what they are.

87Craft
08-17-2005, 02:40 PM
I used that same method when replacing mine a while back. i'm not sure there is a better way. when i was finished, i didn't have a nice surface to remount the bushing on. I scarfed the area and built back up. sealed with marine adhesive and bolted it back on. as a side note, i installed the drippless packing system at the same time...no more packing!!!

martini
08-17-2005, 03:07 PM
they do make a slide hammer type tool for this process. Not sure if it is worth $ to buy. I have one, didn't work on mine though as the bushings(from previous owner) had apparently never been changed and they were stuck in there pretty good. I had to remove the strut completely and take to a prop repair shop. He said he had a hell of a time removing them as well. I would probably be able to use this tool now, haven't tried yet though.

PeteS
08-17-2005, 03:36 PM
I have an '88 with 360 hours on it. Should I think about replacing my bushings as a preventative maintenance measure? The shaft still turns smoothly by hand with little resistance.

Sorry for jacking your thread, Joey.

jimmer2880
08-17-2005, 06:56 PM
I have an '88 with 360 hours on it. Should I think about replacing my bushings as a preventative maintenance measure? The shaft still turns smoothly by hand with little resistance.

Sorry for jacking your thread, Joey.

does your shaft wobble in the strut?

PeteS
08-18-2005, 08:13 AM
does your shaft wobble in the strut?
Nope, Jimmer. No wobble, little restistance, everything seems to look good. Sounds like an item to replace when needed, as opposed to in advanced.

jimmer2880
08-18-2005, 09:32 AM
Nope, Jimmer. No wobble, little restistance, everything seems to look good. Sounds like an item to replace when needed, as opposed to in advanced.

That's right, when needed - not necessarily preventative maintenance. When I did mine, I was chasing down a vibration. Looked to me like the previous owner actually put the boat in gear when on the trailer & toasted the rubber inside the bushings (water wasn't there to lubricate them).

panshovel68
03-08-2009, 03:25 PM
I realize this as an older post but, I am trying to remove my strut bushings. I also have to realign my strut. Anyway, I am going to try to get some washers the same diameter as strut bushings and cut the sides off them so the will turn side ways and slip inside the strut bushing. After it passes through I will turn back flat. Then knock bushing out with a piece of all thread with a nut on the end. I hope it is going to work and will take pics!

TMCNo1
03-08-2009, 03:36 PM
I realize this as an older post but, I am trying to remove my strut bushings. I also have to realign my strut. Anyway, I am going to try to get some washers the same diameter as strut bushings and cut the sides off them so the will turn side ways and slip inside the strut bushing. After it passes through I will turn back flat. Then knock bushing out with a piece of all thread with a nut on the end. I hope it is going to work and will take pics!
While your at it, replace the bushing with the Vesconite ones from OJ Props, http://www.ojprops.com/products/strut_bushings

You can get a Shaft/Strut Bearing puller here, http://www.elberts.com/tools.htm
Before you install the new strut bushings, place them in the freezer overnight and they will shrink a bit to make installation a little easier.

Myskiboattime
05-20-2009, 04:21 PM
If you are running your boat where there is sand or abrasives you will want to consider using a cutlass bearing. It is more forgiving in sandy silty locations.

EJ OJPROP
05-21-2009, 06:18 AM
If you are running your boat where there is sand or abrasives you will want to consider using a cutlass bearing. It is more forgiving in sandy silty locations.

The Vesconite bearings are much better than standard cutlass in the abrasive conditions due to the internal lubrication of the material. Take a look at xpcbearings.com

XPC Sealman
05-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Most removal tools are of a press type design. Some get creative with threaded rod and washers. Either way i would resist a slide hammer if possible. The cut and fold in is very popular. If the bearing is over 3-5 years old they are usually ready. With rubber they always feel tight but that does not mean they are not drying out either. When they show signs of being cracked they are far gone. Upgrade it to the new technology when you do it!