PDA

View Full Version : Using StarGazer in a course with no magnets?

jkski
05-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Is anyone out there using StarGazer in a course that has no magnets, if so, is there any way to run the timing function without the magnets? Do you find the speed to be accurate thru the course without the use of magnets to adjust you +/-?

Any suggestions?

lettmeknow
05-01-2012, 02:50 PM
The new stargazer does not require mags. You simply map the course and your good to go.

jkski
05-01-2012, 02:54 PM
This is true, I can upgrade with a Z-Box for around $450 and avoid needing magnets, however, I was curious as to what people thought of how accurate the pull is without timing magnets present? The boat will hold 34, 36 not problem but how accurate is it...faster or slower than with a timing mechanism?

lettmeknow
05-01-2012, 02:58 PM
You dont need zbox, the standard stargazer doesnt require mags either. Times are good. It uses the GPS to map the course , so if the course is accurate , so will be your times/pull.

lettmeknow
05-01-2012, 03:01 PM
http://perfectpass.com/?q=3event

east tx skier
05-01-2012, 03:03 PM
To be more specific, Stargazer, as of software revision 8.0, does not require magnets. Anything before that requires 1 magnet at each gate.

If you already have SG, the upgrade to 8.0 is $99. I just got a zbox, which comes with update 8.0z. Installation took about 5 minutes. Mapping the course took only a minute or two.

The pull was great and times were spot on for the most part. We were dealing with 20 mph gusts and a lot of rollers. So a couple of passes might have been 1/100 seconds fast. But I'll take that. Overall, ball to ball, it felt very even.

jkski
05-01-2012, 03:37 PM
When did version 8.0 become available? My unit is an 08 model and I did an upgrade via a plug-in either in 08 or 09.

So, if I do the upgrade to 8.0 I will not need the Z-Box as I will simply have to map the course like you would with ZO?

east tx skier
05-01-2012, 04:19 PM
It was released in limited fashion earlier this year (late January). The 2009 update is v.7.0.0.6 With the 8.0 update, you can map up to three courses using GPS alone just like zero off. I sold my magnet sensor.

As far as I can tell, it is only available through Perfect Pass at this time. Of course, having said that, I don't even see it listed on their website at first glance as a separate update from zbox. But I know I have seen it before. Email sales@perfectpass.com about it.

jkski
05-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Thanks East Tx, I was confused as well because there is no mention of the update for sale on their site. I did email them about it so I will update as soon asI hear back.
Hopefully the simple plug-in upgradeis still available.

east tx skier
05-01-2012, 05:38 PM
It was listed at one point, but I didn't see it earlier today. The stick is part of the Zbox upgrade (unless you're like me and had an early SG module that I opted to replace for the discounted price). The software is the same, be it 8.0 or 8.0z. If you plug in a zbox, the A1--C3 settings show up. If you don't, they don't.

lettmeknow
05-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Eastie, once you have zbox installed , can you toggle between the 2 systems?

east tx skier
05-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Yes, standard SG is a setting in the same list (on the main menu) as A1--C3.

jkski
05-02-2012, 09:28 AM
I just received an email from Gary at PerfectPass stating that a software upgrade would not be available until July. So, at this point, unless you purchase a Z Box, you are not able to run times on a non-magnet course.

I will be checking back with PP from time to time and will post as soon as I hear that something is available.

east tx skier
05-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Okay, so July. I got an email back this morning. I was concerned because when I was idling around the course, the system was beeping a few yards outside of the gates. According to Aaron, it's designed to trigger within a range of the gate set points. When we were at speed, you would hear the beep right as we passed through the gates and a short beep at each ball right on the money.

jkski
06-20-2012, 08:26 AM
For anyone who is interested, I just heard from Gary at PerfectPass that the software upgrade for StarGazer to no timing magnets is now available for $150. It was not listed on their website as of this morning so you would have to call them directly to get it if you are interested.

east tx skier
06-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Having spent some time with the Zbox, I have to say that it is a fantastic upgrade. Whether it is the zbox or the new software, my system has never settled into speed batter. All ball timing is within 0.02 seconds of actual right out of the box with no tweaks for me. YMMV

jkski
06-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Good to hear. Having never set-up a non-magnet system, how difficult is it? I know you have to "map" the course, but what does that entail? Do you simply drive to the 55's hit a button, drive to the gates, hit a button, ball one, etc. etc etc.
I know it stores 3 courses and while we are not skiing a course right now, when I do come across one they generally do not have timing magnets so it's nice to know what I am in for in terms of set-up, etc..

AussieMC
06-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Stargazer mapping is easy, just go into the map course setting, idle into the course, press arrow as your pylon gets to the gates, drive to other end, turn around and idle into course, press arrow, done.