PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Amp config for 6 cockpit speakers, 4 tower, 2 subs

jdl xstar
05-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Looking for advice on how to upgrade my curent amp set up. The upgrade will undoubtedly involve getting 1 more amp but what kind and how it should be applied is my question. I only want JL Audio equipment less than $400 if possible.

My current configuration:

2 M6600 powering ten 7.7 jl speakers and two 10" jl subs. I don't know much about bridging or ohms so if someone can lend advice in terms I can repeat (print) to my local car audio shop, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks! :D

swatguy
05-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Any idea on the model, type of voicecoil, or the wataage of the subs? That will play a huge role

jdl xstar
05-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Any idea on the model, type of voicecoil, or the wataage of the subs? That will play a huge role

Its the stock 10" sub MC puts in the boats. I believe its MX10IB3. I have 2 of them in the boat. Some website says the RMS is 50-175 watts, 350 peak. thx

EarmarkMarine
05-01-2012, 09:31 PM
You have a total of 12 available channels now.
Four channels will be bridged into two in order to drive the two subwoofers.
Six stereo channels will run six in-boat speakers.
That leaves two channels available.
Get a third M6600.
Bridge eight channels into four to drive the four tower speakers.
Fortify the wire supply from the batteries to the amplifiers.
Add a line driver so you have adequate preamp voltage to divide and properly drive this number of amplifier inputs.
Retune the system.

David
Earmark Marine

jdl xstar
05-02-2012, 10:03 AM
That sounds like a good plan- thanks for the input. Reading other posts you've contributed, I see you recommend a class D amp. Since I have two batteries, should I worry about a significant amount of increased draw fromt eh additional amp- whether class D or not? I frequently run the stereo for an hour or so at a time with the engine turned off.

Or maybe if i splurge I can get a couple new class D amps and sell one of my M6600..

EarmarkMarine
05-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Yes, Class D is 60 percent more efficient. It's crazy in 2012 to use an inefficient topology in a boat that has basically remained unchanged for decades. Even parts of esoteric home audio have begun adopting fullrange Class D and it has been used in Prosound for some time now.
Run the six in-boat speakers off the new Class D 6-channel amplifier. Bridge the two existing amplifiers from twelve down to six channels as described above to drive the two subs and four tower speakers. This will be an equitable balance of power for what each speaker needs related to its individual usage.
But for now don't replace perfectly good amplifiers.

David
Earmark Marine

jdl xstar
05-02-2012, 01:48 PM
David- thanks, this is great info.

One last scenario... What about running all ten cockpit/tower speakers from its own channel with the two M6600s (leaving 2 channels unused) and then installing a 600 watt class D monoblock amp for the two subs? Are there pros or cons to this comfiguration? thanks!

EarmarkMarine
05-02-2012, 05:23 PM
75 watts at 14.4 volts per each speaker is okay for in the boat. But for elevated tower speakers without the benefit of the reinforcing coaming surfaces, 75 watts per speaker just dissipates way too quickly and won't get you clean sound past the swimdeck.
Down the road you could have the new six-channel on the in-boats, a 600 watt monoblock split between the two subs and a JL HD750/1 driving the tower...all Class D.

David
Earmark Marine