PDA

View Full Version : I just don't understand it...

wiltok
08-17-2005, 01:50 PM
OK - the purpose of this post is not to complain or biatch - I just wanna' understand!! Let's say it's relatively early in morning - you walk out and the water is like glass. Your first thought - LET'S GO TUBING!! WHY?? I know it's a public lake, and you pay the same taxes I do so i really don't have a right to complain. But come on - you are going to weave back and forth, go in circles, basically ruin the water for everyone (and the result is that tubing is the only thing anyone can do). Is tubing better on smooth water? Are you ignorant to the fact that skiers need smooth water? Are the kids begging to go out early? I know I will probably get slammed for this post - but I just want to understand.

In my mind, a little courtesy goes a long way. If I am in my boat (sans skier) and entering a relatively calm cove and see a skier headed that way, I'll stop and give them the water. Same thing on the Sea Doo - don't race ahead of a skier to ruin their water. I guess if you are not a skier you don't have the same perspective....

erkoehler
08-17-2005, 02:02 PM
We had a guy on little st. germain lake acutally stop and come over to my boat to ask me if I wanted him to stop pulling tubers for a couple runs :D

Gotta love fellow MC owners :)

Tom023
08-17-2005, 02:03 PM
I agree! I had this exact issue Sunday morning and there was only one calm area of the lake and a tuber came over and starting tubing right in the same area. I having nothing against tubing, my kids love it, but we only do it at the end of the day once the skis, wakeboards and kneeboard have been put away, or if the water is just so bad it's the only thing left to do. And then we stick to the middle of lake.

P-Rod
08-17-2005, 02:11 PM
My wife and I both slalom ski and understand the value of getting up early to hit the glass conditions. Last week while on vacation, we wouldn't pull my son on his wakeboard until after 9:00 in the morning. We didn't want to send huge rollers across the lake and ruin the water for the other two to three boats that were pulling skiers. We picked 9:00 as that was about the time that the jet skiers/sea doos would start getting active on the lake. It upset my son a bit as he became our flag man for several hours while we enjoyed our glass conditions.

JDK
08-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Let's say it's relatively early in morning - you walk out and the water is like glass. Your first thought - LET'S GO TUBING!!....

If you've got people with this mentality where you ski, then you've just got to get out on the water earlier than they do. On the bright side (for me anyways) the earlier in the morning it is, the better I ski.

BriEOD
08-17-2005, 02:40 PM
I guess if you are not a skier you don't have the same perspective....

You said it.

rodltg2
08-17-2005, 02:48 PM
i hate tubing and never do it, but it is sure fun to drive them. i choose the choppiest wide open area for good laughs. do it off the tower for even more good times. before long no one will want to tube anymore.

DooSPX
08-17-2005, 02:49 PM
In my mind, a little courtesy goes a long way. If I am in my boat (sans skier) and entering a relatively calm cove and see a skier headed that way, I'll stop and give them the water. Same thing on the Sea Doo - don't race ahead of a skier to ruin their water. I guess if you are not a skier you don't have the same perspective....[/QUOTE]

I do the same thing, and the same on my Sea Doo. I always give skiers the waters first.

ktn_cmu
08-17-2005, 02:52 PM
Our lake has a "go-fast" time from 11am to 7:30pm...that stinks!!! And I know exactly what you are talking about...I can hear the tubers now..."oh oh oh...I get first run." Idiots!!! With the time limit, I don't have the option of getting out earlier, as all the people that are too lazy to learn a skill and would rather lie on a tube for 30 minute intervals (have you ever notcied how long they are out there) have finally rolled outta bed by 11. I'd love to be out there at 7,8,9 am...but the sheriff has other ideas. Don't get me wrong, when the whitecaps start rollin, the tubes come out for us too. But why ruin it for everyone trying to cut it up. Or those flippin joyriders...give us skier a break and you can have the lake the rest of the day.

Oh don't get me started on this subject.

I actually asked a tuber-driver after he almost ran me over if it ever crossed his mind how tubing ruins the water for skiing and he said he doesn't ski, and doesn't pull skiers and never even thought about it. I think they don't even have a clue...as mentioned before...

Ahhhh...thanks for the vent

Kyle

Ric
08-17-2005, 02:53 PM
OK - the purpose of this post is not to complain or biatch - I just wanna' understand!! Let's say it's relatively early in morning - you walk out and the water is like glass. Your first thought - LET'S GO TUBING!! WHY?? I know it's a public lake, and you pay the same taxes I do so i really don't have a right to complain. But come on - you are going to weave back and forth, go in circles, basically ruin the water for everyone (and the result is that tubing is the only thing anyone can do). Is tubing better on smooth water? Are you ignorant to the fact that skiers need smooth water? Are the kids begging to go out early? I know I will probably get slammed for this post - but I just want to understand.

In my mind, a little courtesy goes a long way. If I am in my boat (sans skier) and entering a relatively calm cove and see a skier headed that way, I'll stop and give them the water. Same thing on the Sea Doo - don't race ahead of a skier to ruin their water. I guess if you are not a skier you don't have the same perspective....
Yes, you are officially preaching to the Choir brother Wiltok. :D

jamisonsbrodie
08-17-2005, 02:58 PM
Most people are completely clueless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every weekend I have to deal with one particular boat that pulls 3 tubes all weekend. 10:30 is about the end of any good water. After that its tube-orama, wooooooohoooooooooooooooo!. they are teenage kids that never ski, and on ocassion pull double wakeboarders. Otherwise its nothing but tubers, and yeah apparently you need calm water for tubing because they head for the only calm area. I can't wait to live on a private lake with no tubers, jetskis, or various other Wally's!

maristarman
08-17-2005, 03:03 PM
As a general rule, I agree with you that non-skiers will never understand.

But.......

What if people are generally unathletic and just can't ski or wakeboard?

Or what if they're physically handicapped and are limited to tubing?

Or what if they work a swing shift and can only go out in the morning?

We shouldn't penalize people less gifted and talented, should we?

I think all boaters should try to be as courteous as possible.

But just because someone can afford a mastercraft that doesn't give them any special rights over the use of the water.

Every year we take about 150 kids away on a water-ski trip (8 to 10 boats). Most of these kids have never been on a boat. We always try to get them wakeboarding or skiing (99% only want to even try boarding).

Some of these kids only want to tube, and this is the only chance they have to do any type of watersports.

It wouldn't be right to deny them that opportunity.

I think my main responsibilities every time I take the boat out are:
1. Be as safe as possible.
2. Be courteous to others on the water.
3. Try to instill the same love of boating and the water that I have with everyone on my boat.

Sorry. I went kind of "Random" on that reply. :o

wiltok
08-17-2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I realize that most people are simply unaware - it's ignorance not malice. Maristartman - I hear what you are saying - although when I was skiing behind a 1976 I/O I felt the same way (it has nothing to do with owning an MC).

dog paw
08-17-2005, 03:55 PM
Man I thought I was bad! LOL! You guys need to let it go before you end up on blood pressure meds like me. If you dont own it you CAN'T control it. You want to see tube hell you should try lake Anna in Va. My MC does not even get in the water on the weekend. It's friggin horrible!
Maristarman said all boaters should be as courtious as possible SO true! Not to throw stones at brothers but Wakeboard boats trolling around with full ballasts "cause it looks cool" snapping dock lines of boats on shore does not make any friends either. Man I need my Norvast now...... :uglyhamme

X2M
08-17-2005, 04:58 PM
Every year we take about 150 kids away on a water-ski trip (8 to 10 boats). Most of these kids have never been on a boat.
Maristarman - Do you have more info on this? When? Where? Need another boat?

As for the "evil" tubers...Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. And getting up and out on the water a little earlier will help too. :)

Workin' 4 Toys
08-17-2005, 05:35 PM
There was recently a pet peeve thread! This entire topic needs to be there... LOL

erkoehler
08-17-2005, 05:42 PM
I too have lake hours, 9am to 6pm! No wake after 6, in the summer there is still 3 1/2 hours of sunlight left :mad:

It sucks, but I live with it. You will hardly ever see my MC out there though. I can find a better place to ski with longer hours.

JDK
08-17-2005, 05:44 PM
As a general rule, I agree with you that non-skiers will never understand.

But.......

What if people are generally unathletic and just can't ski or wakeboard?

Or what if they're physically handicapped and are limited to tubing?

Or what if they work a swing shift and can only go out in the morning?

You forgot one "What if"

......what if they're just plain stupid? 8p

BradD
08-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Sorry to threadjack, but I just figured out how to resize pictures and create an avatar. It's by 3rd born wakeboard on the boom.

Sorry, please resume.

X2M
08-17-2005, 05:57 PM
I too have lake hours, 9am to 6pm! No wake after 6, in the summer there is still 3 1/2 hours of sunlight left :mad:

It sucks, but I live with it. You will hardly ever see my MC out there though. I can find a better place to ski with longer hours.

I must have missed something in this thread. Lake hours? You can only be on the lake from 9am to 6pm. Wow! That really sucks. I would never get any wakeboarding or skiing in if that was the case here. Best time to go out 6pm til dark. :) And our launch opens a 6am too.

isurf - What a cutie!! Great avatar. I need to learn how to do that too. :)

J. Patterson
08-17-2005, 06:10 PM
Why doesn't somebody make up a line of shirts-----banners----signs----decals-----ect. that say " Glass is for skiing, Please don't break it (or me )with your wake :) " . Or something silly like that with some nice graphics. I would buy and wear one, hundreds of collegiate and tournament skiers would too.

J. Patterson
Trussville, AL

maristarman
08-17-2005, 06:27 PM
:)

PM me and I'll give you some more info.

jraben8
08-17-2005, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by X2momma

I would be interested as well if it isn't only a N. California activity.

Cloaked
08-17-2005, 07:12 PM
In my mind, a little courtesy goes a long way. If I am in my boat (sans skier) and entering a relatively calm cove and see a skier headed that way, I'll stop and give them the water. Same thing on the Sea Doo - don't race ahead of a skier to ruin their water. I guess if you are not a skier you don't have the same perspective....Before I even read other opinions, thank you. I do the same and to those that don't, it's either ignorance or inconsideration. Or both. We have a slalom course in the back of a cove and it's an unspoken rule to enter that particular cove with no wake, until it's clear that no one is on the course. I wish the fisherpeople were like that.

Thank again for being courteous (if it were me coming out on a slalom).

sizzler
08-18-2005, 04:09 AM
i have it worse......i generally foot ,first thing in the morning or late at night......our lake is small and people can see if i'm waiting on my jetty to do a flyer....most people come off and let me have my 5 mins of madness....except for one guy who has a BU.....he will come out and tube for the hell of it......so i have to wait for the lake to calm down again.....i wont even start a wakeboard set if i see some of thge slalom skiers waitnig to go out.......but thats just us considerate MCers

PendO
08-18-2005, 10:31 AM
There is this guy/gal on our water ... if I see him go out for a ski, I look for any tuber that wants a pull! Anybody got one of them?