PDA

View Full Version : 50 Year old restored beauty

mikeg205
04-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Came across this on Facebook...great story...

http://www.waterskimag.com.au/?p=1094

toolz
05-01-2012, 01:07 AM
Cool old boat, and motor. My family's second boat, in about '69 or '70, was a 14' fiberglass runabout with a Mark 75 Merc on it, rated at 70 hp. It looked very similar to the one in the article, other than being a 6 cyl. The odd thing about it was that it had no forward or reverse gearing- to get reverse, you pulled back on the throttle, which rotated the distributor for "opposite" spark lead, and the starter spun the motor to start it backwards. Being a two-stroke, it didn't matter which way it ran, so long as the spark advance was switched. Of course, if we were skiing a lot, all the stop-and-go was hard on the battery. With no neutral, the motor had to be shut off to stop the boat. It made manuvering around the dock a bit tough also. The old dog would sure run, though. Three skiers were no problem with the bronze three blade prop, and with the two blade, it went faster than was safe, since the hull was rated at 40 hp. I have a lot of good memories from that boat, including one sinking in shallow water. Simpler times, and simpler boats. Sometimes I think we were better off then. Kinda shows that good family memories don't require an $80,000 boat. Raising six kids didn't leave my parents with much boat money, but the fun we had was priceless.

CruisinGA
05-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Cool story.

It's no where near as pretty, but I have a 1965 Evinrude 6hp on my frog gigging and duck hunting boat.
Runs great! Came out of the basement of one of my lake neighbors. All I've done is free up the needle valve (has a cork float in the carb!), put in a new impeller and change the pull cord.

DemolitionMan
05-01-2012, 08:45 AM
I would love to have a boat like that.