PDA

View Full Version : Tablet computers

curtish
04-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Just bought a Vizio 8" tablet. Was considering an ipad but ultimately decided I didn't want to spend that much $. Anybody have experience with this or the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 2? Bought this one from Costco so I have 90 days to decide. Overall it seems OK. Just planning to use for email, youtube, forums, etc (TeamTalk of course).

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk 2

Tri4X2
04-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Sorry.... HUGE iPad and iPhone user here.... for obvious reasons. To each their own, I just find that the user interface is much nicer and user friendly on Apple products. It's like a MC.... you pay for what you get

mikeg205
04-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Now there's a seed for an idea... run your MC from an IPAD. .. all the electronics are an app...just slip your iPad into the MC custom iMCdoc (MC can copyright that) and your off to a day of fun... :D

Tri4X2
04-30-2012, 11:22 PM
I mount my ipad in the boat while on the lake......... great map features among other things!!!

east tx skier
05-01-2012, 09:11 AM
To a large degree, I believe you get what you pay for. That's not to say you have to buy an iPad though. I have a first gen iPad, and it's great, but a comparably priced Android tablet will do everything the iPad can do and will be more flexible in your ability to customize it.

As for the cheaper tablets, some are good for the money. Some, not so much. Often, the hard drive space will be limited on the cheaper ones as will the processing power and memory. Also, the touch screen technology will likely be resistive rather than capacitative. My son is almost 7 and is saving up for one of the less expensive ones that can be had for under $100 and is well reviewed for what it is.

Bottom line. If you just want to check email, get on the web, watch netflix, etc., a less expensive tablet will do that easily. With Android and Google Music, there's no need to store music locally. Streaming is pretty seamless and Google doesn't charge for cloud space unlike Apple. Also, I wouldn't worry about a camera on a tablet. Few things look so ridiculous as someone taking a picture with an iPad (no offense).

TXX9
05-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Love my 8" Vizio tablet.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk 2

Romaswake
05-01-2012, 09:37 AM
I have the Motorola Xoom and love it! It was at a competing price to the iPad but I wanted more ability to customize it and use third party apps. The iPad gives you seamless interface but is not as versatile while the android tablet gives you a more customizable interface. All and all if your just trying to email, YouTube and surf the web on your tablet; just play with some android tablets specifically looking at the browser and look into the specs. for the processor and see what you like the best! Hope this helps!

Tri4X2
05-01-2012, 10:35 AM
@east... I don't have a camera on my iPad :) I don't understand how people say the iPad is limited. There are millions of APPs out there to pretty much find what you want. We download all the video from our camera and GOPRO right on the boat. At this point for business I even use my iPad as a computer with an attached keyboard. It's easier for me to fly with, lighter, but also gives me a big enough screen to not get eye sore.

Again, it's a personal choice. Graphic user interface has been changed for the better by Jobs and Company and they still in a lot of peoples minds rule the market place with phone and tablet techo. With that being said, somepeople do not want to spend the money on the iPad and I get that. I have had mine since the first release and my brother in law has already had 3 or 4 other tablets. As Romaswake was saying, if you just want to email, Youtube and surf, then get something cheap. IMHO though, you will start to do a whole lot more with it once you get it and may want to upgrade in a less than a year or so.

Enjoy whatever you buy and remember people have opinons on these bad boys just like they do their MC's!!!! Have fun shopping!!!

east tx skier
05-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Not saying too much negative about the ipad. I own a first generation ipad 32gig. I like it and use it regularly. But it's a bit of a walled garden unless you want to jailbreak it. Android gives you a bit more freedom with Apps and the like out of the box. That's all. Just the way of things. What's more, the wifi on the earlier ipads is slow as Christmas, particularly in youtube. Hopefully, they fixed that in later generations, but it's a common complaint. Tweaking the network settings didn't help. Youtube takes far too long (although Netflix doesn't seem to have any troubles). But from my experience owning an HTC android phone, they are absolutely fantastic devices, especially when rooted. As the prices creep down on them, I'd consider one of their tablets in a heartbeat.

In sum, I think the comparably priced android tablets are worthy competitors. The cheaper ones are probably good for some things, but not comparable to the ipad.

jamisonsbrodie
05-01-2012, 12:28 PM
My main gripe with the Ipad is that they don't run Flash. You have no idea how many websites run Flash until you get an Ipad, and it is a large %. I would personally look into tablets that can run Flash. As far as music streaming goes, that is great if you are connected to wifi, or are paying $$$ each month for 3G, but without either of those, you can't stream.

On a side note, I bought an Imac too and I think it's a POS!

Tri4X2
05-01-2012, 12:37 PM
My main gripe with the Ipad is that they don't run Flash. You have no idea how many websites run Flash until you get an Ipad, and it is a large %. I would personally look into tablets that can run Flash. As far as music streaming goes, that is great if you are connected to wifi, or are paying $$$ each month for 3G, but without either of those, you can't stream.

On a side note, I bought an Imac too and I think it's a POS!

WOW... I seriously don't know a single person that thinks their iMac is a POS, but again to each their own. I and every single person in my company can't wait for the day we can get rid of our PC's. Even our very own IT department is pushing for iMacs because if the sheer problems with the PC's we have.. but this is another subject.

Flash is starting to go away and will probably be phased out. Last year there was an article that came out talking about people moving more toward other media types outside of Flash because of the number of iOS devices out there. I will see it when I believe it, but I haven't had many problems as of late finding websites and looking at their content. ESPN would be a big one just naming it off the top of my head

Sorry you're having problems with your iMac... PM me I am in the market for a 3rd one for the kids.

sp00ky
05-01-2012, 01:59 PM
WOW... I seriously don't know a single person that thinks their iMac is a POS, but again to each their own. I and every single person in my company can't wait for the day we can get rid of our PC's. Even our very own IT department is pushing for iMacs because if the sheer problems with the PC's we have.. but this is another subject.

Flash is starting to go away and will probably be phased out. Last year there was an article that came out talking about people moving more toward other media types outside of Flash because of the number of iOS devices out there. I will see it when I believe it, but I haven't had many problems as of late finding websites and looking at their content. ESPN would be a big one just naming it off the top of my head

Sorry you're having problems with your iMac... PM me I am in the market for a 3rd one for the kids.

Ok I'm in IT and I have to take issue with almost everything you say here. There are many types of technologies out there as tools for work and play. One cannot absolutely say one type of technology is better for every situation. And if your IT dept is having so many issues with PCs than they are the problem not the technologies. Microsoft server technologies are here to stay and will not be replaced by apple anytime soon. Apple's products work great for individuals but not for a centrally properly controlled network.

BTW flash is being steadily replaced by html5 and has been phasing out regardless of whether Apple decides to allow it on the IPad or not.

I have a Android smartphone and an IPAD2. I have rooted my phone and am only using an IPad because I don't think Android tablets have quite come of age YET. But will do so with a vengeance soon.

Also worms are starting to invade Apple products so be wary.

jamisonsbrodie
05-01-2012, 02:43 PM

I waited an extra year to buy a new computer because I was so excited to get a Mac and since it costs twice as much as a PC, I waited until I could afford it. I wanted a Mac because EVERYBODY said how great they are and how they never crash, never get a virus, and never freeze up. Well, my Mac does all those things and Apple refused to replace it even after bringing it in 4 times in the the first 3 months. Apple would not ackowledge that there was a problem and said it must be a software issue. I would agree that some of the interface is nice, especially the track pad, but it appears that it suffers from all of the issues that PCs are known for. As far as IT goes, our IT department (fairly large co) hates Mac's and we have a lot of issues with them working on our exchange server. My remote access has some issues that my PC did not have. Maybe if I was an artist or a gamer, than I would love my Mac, but I work in the business world and Mac's are overrated IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FWIW, I hate Microsoft and I am not saying that PC is better than Apple, but I am saying that IMO, the cost differential is NOT necessarily worth it.

Tri4X2
05-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Ok I'm in IT and I have to take issue with almost everything you say here. There are many types of technologies out there as tools for work and play. One cannot absolutely say one type of technology is better for every situation. And if your IT dept is having so many issues with PCs than they are the problem not the technologies. Microsoft server technologies are here to stay and will not be replaced by apple anytime soon. Apple's products work great for individuals but not for a centrally properly controlled network.

BTW flash is being steadily replaced by html5 and has been phasing out regardless of whether Apple decides to allow it on the IPad or not.

I have a Android smartphone and an IPAD2. I have rooted my phone and am only using an IPad because I don't think Android tablets have quite come of age YET. But will do so with a vengeance soon.

Also worms are starting to invade Apple products so be wary.

IT or not... we want to move to Apple PC and I said nothing of server base. Or problem is with the computers not the network they are associated with.

Again, with the original post... you already bought, enjoy it for 90 days and if you don't like it costco will return it. Use a friends iPad and see if you like the interface.

Great posts Gents.... love the conversations!!

tr6coug
05-01-2012, 02:54 PM
I have both an Ipad 2 and an HP Touchpad with Android. The Ipad's interface is great, very polished and fast. Everything just works really well. Too bad it is so tightly tied to iTunes though. I'd rather just be able to put in a SD card and edit/play a video or music file or view a pdf.

The Android interface is 95% as good as iOS and it has an open file system that allows you to view files, open, delete them etc. more like a traditional PC or Mac.

So, if you're a techie and like to control how a device works then an Android tablet is probably better for you. If you just want it to work well and don't care about things like an open file system then go with the iPad.

BTW... MC, get the Flash off of this site! No one with an iPad or iPhone can navigate the MC site with the Flash menus.

east tx skier
05-01-2012, 03:00 PM
BTW... MC, get the Flash off of this site! No one with an iPad or iPhone can navigate the MC site with the Flash menus.

But those of us with Androids can do so with no problems whatsoever. 8p

sp00ky
05-01-2012, 03:26 PM
I waited an extra year to buy a new computer because I was so excited to get a Mac and since it costs twice as much as a PC, I waited until I could afford it. I wanted a Mac because EVERYBODY said how great they are and how they never crash, never get a virus, and never freeze up. Well, my Mac does all those things and Apple refused to replace it even after bringing it in 4 times in the the first 3 months. Apple would not ackowledge that there was a problem and said it must be a software issue. I would agree that some of the interface is nice, especially the track pad, but it appears that it suffers from all of the issues that PCs are known for. As far as IT goes, our IT department (fairly large co) hates Mac's and we have a lot of issues with them working on our exchange server. My remote access has some issues that my PC did not have. Maybe if I was an artist or a gamer, than I would love my Mac, but I work in the business world and Mac's are overrated IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FWIW, I hate Microsoft and I am not saying that PC is better than Apple, but I am saying that IMO, the cost differential is necessarily worth it.

Yes I too love the debate and everyone has some great points.

First I don't HATE any of these technologies we live in an amazing time and "the ****iest cell phone in the world is AMAZING" ( to quote Louis CK).

Steve jobs was a brilliant ******* with control issues and this is reflected in his devices in that the user interface is locked down, troubleshooting is nil ( no event logs nor error messages) so one never knows when they may be infected with a worm or has software issues.

The business world will continue to rely on PCs be it virtualized or thin clients because the servers work well with the desktop operating systems and not with Apple products.

DooSPX
05-01-2012, 04:24 PM
I am a IT and Network Consultant, and I fully agree with the iPad being limited and Mac Computers do not work well in a networked business environment. Also, I have had to reload the OS because of viruses being introduced into the OS. Been there, replaced that. I had a iPad for a while as well, and I loved the quickness of the interface, but the locked down, iTunes dependent, non multitasking capability has drove me to sell it, I use a Dell Mini9 Netbook w/ a SSD and Win7U anyway for work, because I needed the Windows environment for my client base. I bought my fiancee a Moto Xoom, and it is very very nice. Very fast, about the same as the iOS, can multitask, she runs so many apps at once I do not know how she keeps track of them all. Oh, and she is a teacher, and most all kids video's are flash based, the school bought iPads, even though she warned against it, now she is the only one who can actually use the tablet for what they wanted in the first place, the flash videos and tools. Now they are stuck with 100 iPads.

lettmeknow
08-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Any advice on a budget tablet? I want to buy my wife one. She is clumsy and loses things easily so I dont want to break the bank. All she needs it for is reading recipes and her facebook addiction, maybe some email. Would like to stay under $150. Thanks!

CruisinGA
08-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Any advice on a budget tablet? I want to buy my wife one. She is clumsy and loses things easily so I dont want to break the bank. All she needs it for is reading recipes and her facebook addiction, maybe some email. Would like to stay under $150. Thanks!

Used Ipad 1 or 2. Both will work well for her.

FancySauceRules
08-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Also, I wouldn't worry about a camera on a tablet. Few things look so ridiculous as someone taking a picture with an iPad (no offense).[/QUOTE]

For most I would agree, but for me it is a great tool. I use the camera to deposit checks into banking accounts and also to scan and create pdf's out of physical documents. Eliminates the Scanner/Fax machine.

milkmania
08-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Any advice on a budget tablet? I want to buy my wife one. She is clumsy and loses things easily so I dont want to break the bank. All she needs it for is reading recipes and her facebook addiction, maybe some email. Would like to stay under $150. Thanks!http://deephousepage.com/smilies/lol.gif

well geez, why do you keep her then?http://deephousepage.com/smilies/tapedshut.gif

east tx skier
08-10-2012, 02:56 PM
My son eventually saved a bit more and bought a Kindle Fire. It has been solid and useful for the basic stuff. I'd consider it or a Google Nexus Tablet. Solid hardware for the low price.

carisch
08-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Want a cheaper device, that is faster, and smaller than the iPad. Google Nexus 7 is great. This device just came out last month. It's $199 for the cheapest one, and faster than the newest iPad. It is 7" while the iPad is 10". Some would say this is a negative, but I love the size. It runs Android rather than iOS, which I also like better. This device is top notch. I own both iPad and Nexus 7.

Both are great devices but one costs 199 and the other is 499.

Jason.H.
08-11-2012, 09:19 AM
anyone have the newest samsung galaxy tablet? I held one at costco and was amazed. I love my ipod touch and wifes iphone 4s but this new galaxy seems to attract me more than the ipad does.

curtish
08-13-2012, 01:10 AM
anyone have the newest samsung galaxy tablet? I held one at costco and was amazed. I love my ipod touch and wifes iphone 4s but this new galaxy seems to attract me more than the ipad does.

Guess I should have updated this thread. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab2. Then returned the Vizio after comparing them. The Samsung is soooo much faster. And I have zero patience for slow computers. It is the smaller version. It is the smaller 7" version. The big screens are nice but we wanted something a little more portable. Have had it about 3 months now and love it.

Heelgrad
08-13-2012, 09:49 AM
My main gripe with the Ipad is that they don't run Flash. You have no idea how many websites run Flash until you get an Ipad, and it is a large %. I would personally look into tablets that can run Flash.

Get the 'Puffin Free' browser app. It runs every flash website like a charm. I find myself using it for all my web surfing because it's faster than the Safari browser in my opinion. Used to use Photon for the flash sites but Puffin is much better.

milkmania
08-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Get the 'Puffin Free' browser app. It runs every flash website like a charm. I find myself using it for all my web surfing because it's faster than the Safari browser in my opinion. Used to use Photon for the flash sites but Puffin is much better.

since Puffin is free, how bad are the advertisements?
Safari is absolute bottom of barrel, and google chrome is just above that:rolleyes:

Heelgrad
08-13-2012, 05:13 PM
since Puffin is free, how bad are the advertisements?
Safari is absolute bottom of barrel, and google chrome is just above that:rolleyes:

Been using it for a couple of months and have had no issues up to this point with ads.