PDA

View Full Version : Old Perfect Pass Setup

mattb
04-30-2012, 09:02 PM
I'm finally getting down to completing the last few projects on my prostar. Yes, I will eventually get around to making a thread documenting my purchase, progress and of course pictures.

I've spoken with Perfect Pass (really helpful by the way!) in regards to setting up the perfect pass that's on my boat. It's old, PP thinks it's a 4.0 Pro unit, and is currently set to work only off engine RPMs.

The module itself has two inputs for speedo tubes - speed tube 1 & speed tube 2. According to PP, this module is pre-paddle wheel and will work with the pickup tubes. 1) Do I need to hook up both tubes to the module? One currently goes to the Speedo. If yes, should I put in a "T" of some sort to split speedo tube 1? 2) Where the hell is my second speedo tube?

Any help on getting this up and going would be awesome!!

BrianM
05-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Give PP a call again and ask them. They should be able to give you the correct answer.

east tx skier
05-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Man, that is an old system. I have never even seen one of those up close. Strange that if it is a solely rpm based system that it has speed inputs for the pitot tubes.

I would call Perfect Pass and see if your wiring harness is compatible with a newer Module. Not that you have to upgrade, but just out of curiosity. New modules can be picked up for under $200. I just sold a stargazer module for $175. But if you look on ski-it-again, you can find some good deals.

As for the speed inputs on your module, I have no idea. Email or call Perfect Pass. Their customer service is great.

P.S. If you call, use a service like Google voice. Cell phone calls to Canada can be expensive.

mattb
05-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Give PP a call again and ask them. They should be able to give you the correct answer.

I've bugged them a ton over the last couple weeks getting this thing back together. I'll reach out to them ago though. Just thought some of you may have had experience.

Man, that is an old system. I have never even seen one of those up close. Strange that if it is a solely rpm based system that it has speed inputs for the pitot tubes.

It's not solely RPM-based. It's just currently configured that way.

I would call Perfect Pass and see if your wiring harness is compatible with a newer Module. Not that you have to upgrade, but just out of curiosity. New modules can be picked up for under $200. I just sold a stargazer module for $175. But if you look on ski-it-again, you can find some good deals.

Dang, that is a good deal. I know I can upgrade and I will eventually, but this is my first MC and I just finished school so I can't dump all my money into this season. Maybe next year.

As for the speed inputs on your module, I have no idea. Email or call Perfect Pass. Their customer service is great.

They are great. I'll give them a call again.

P.S. If you call, use a service like Google voice. Cell phone calls to Canada can be expensive.

lettmeknow
05-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Your boat should have 2 speedos and 2 pitot pick ups. Each one will have a dedicated tube. If the module has inputs for both , I'm assuming you plug both of them in. You simply remove the tubes from the back of the speedo gauges and plug them into the PP unit.. I am not at all familair with this older system, but I think this should answer your question.

east tx skier
05-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Matt, are you going to use the boat primarily for slalom? If so, just leave it set up as a pure rpm system. From a certain point in the past up until Stargazer, PP did not use any speed input in its cruise control system for slalom. It was simply an rpm baseline plus additions for skier and crew weight. Once it reaches the set rpm value, if 4.0 is anything like 6.3 and up, it would only adjust that value twice---once at the gate to ramp up a small amount of rpm based on a % of skier weight, and again at 3 ball based on variable for second segment balance. Based on your description, since there is not magnet sensor input, I would guess this system doesn't adjust much in the course, if at all.

So, if slalom is the only thing you'll be using the cruise control on, I'd leave it alone. If you are planning to trick or wakeboard behind it, a speed based option might be useful.

mattb
05-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Your boat should have 2 speedos and 2 pitot pick ups. Each one will have a dedicated tube. If the module has inputs for both , I'm assuming you plug both of them in. You simply remove the tubes from the back of the speedo gauges and plug them into the PP unit.. I am not at all familair with this older system, but I think this should answer your question.

I still want to run 1 speedo, so I think i will need to split speedo tube 1 with a T

Matt, are you going to use the boat primarily for slalom? If so, just leave it set up as a pure rpm system. From a certain point in the past up until Stargazer, PP did not use any speed input in its cruise control system for slalom. It was simply an rpm baseline plus additions for skier and crew weight. Once it reaches the set rpm value, if 4.0 is anything like 6.3 and up, it would only adjust that value twice---once at the gate to ramp up a small amount of rpm based on a % of skier weight, and again at 3 ball based on variable for second segment balance. Based on your description, since there is not magnet sensor input, I would guess this system doesn't adjust much in the course, if at all.

So, if slalom is the only thing you'll be using the cruise control on, I'd leave it alone. If you are planning to trick or wakeboard behind it, a speed based option might be useful.

It's a perfect pass pro module, so it has all the different modes in it. Ideally, I want it to run in MPH as there will be a healthy mix of activities going on behind the boat. I may just leave it in RPM mode if I can't get this sorted out. Thanks!