PDA

View Full Version : V drive on beach?

ourx15
04-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Just bought my first mastercraft. An X15. Just wondering if you can pull up to beach? I've seen pics of them on the shore, but others say not too. Never had a v-drive. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

trickskier
04-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Doesn't matter if it's a V-Drive or Direct Drive the prop is in the same place. You need to be concerned about the depth so that you do not hit bottom - Bend the prop or worse the shaft.

onewheat
04-30-2012, 05:57 PM
And scratch the hell out of your gelcoat - did it once on my first boat - wish I didn't.

bobx1
04-30-2012, 06:05 PM
And if you still want to try it then watch out that you don't suck dirt/sand into your water intake - dont power it up on the beach.

pmkkdx
04-30-2012, 06:08 PM
I am overly cautious on "beaching" any of my boats over the years (learned on my '83 S&S).

As onewheat stated, it can possibly scratch the underside/gelcoat up including deep groves in course sand & rocky bottoms. Also as trickskier stated, V-drive or DD the prop is roughly in the same location and need to check water depth in the back end ... rollers come thru and the boat bobs up / down (shallower) and can damage prop and/or shaft.

mikeg205
04-30-2012, 06:58 PM
gel and sand - sand wins.... reverse the prop and stir up sand...it will be sucked up into the cooling system...unless you have a sea strainer.... sand in trans cooler, impeller...etc...

my opinion - no way... unless you want to install a keel guard and then push back from the beach until your boat's draft plus a few inches...then get underway....

Brian B
04-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Only in a no wake zone!

I have a keel guard, I look for rocks and such before I beach, and always turn the boat around and push way out before starting. Going to the beach is a big part of my lake-going experience. I hope to never find myself in a boat that hinders me from actually being able to enjoy it.....

Latin Flyer
04-30-2012, 07:59 PM
You CANNOT give up going to the beach! Same concerns here, im just extra carefull now. But what,s the point of having a boat is you don,t enjoy it????

Double D
04-30-2012, 08:29 PM
What about the skags, or fins? Does an X15 have those? Remember, Direct Drive guy. :) Depending on the slope of the beach you could dig these into the dirt first and possibly screw those up before you even hit the prop. I don't beach mine for all the above reasons mentioned. We just anchor off far enough not to hit anything.

Sent from my wife's old iPad using Tapatalk....

CantRepeat
04-30-2012, 09:03 PM
I do not beach at all now.

On my 92 I used to beach and tried to keep the strut off the sand. It became clear that no matter how much I tried to keep it off the sand it would end up in the sand and at some point bent the strut a little. After I replaced all the under water gear I stop beaching and have never beached my 06.

93Prostar190
04-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Like Double D says ... stop short ... turn 180 degrees so the bow points to the open water and point the platform towards the beach in 2.5 - 3ft of water ...... transom remote at the ready ......

Patrick Hardy
04-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Like Double D says ... stop short ... turn 180 degrees so the bow points to the open water and point the platform towards the beach in 2.5 - 3ft of water ...... transom remote at the ready ......

That is exactly the way I have done it forever. 1) Use a anchor attached to a Anchor Buddy rope on the bow. 2) Use a Shallow Water Anchor Buddy rope attached the the stern and then connect the other end of the rope to a Beach Anchor SandSpike sunk into the beach / sand. The system works great!
Link: http://www.bakesonline.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=Beach

Double D
04-30-2012, 10:38 PM

Still working on that transom remote.... :)

Example of a tie off from shore...

mikeg205
04-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Nice!!!!

GT500 MC
05-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Still working on that transom remote.... :)

Example of a tie off from shore...

Double D - is that an x14 in the first pic on your left? Looks almost identical to GTS-20, but color scheme is same as my x14v. That's not yours is it? Anyone on TT?

93Prostar190
05-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Double D - is that an x14 in the first pic on your left? Looks almost identical to GTS-20, but color scheme is same as my x14v. That's not yours is it? Anyone on TT?

On certain nights when the moon is just right, 93Prostar190 brings out the PS214 for play.

That is me!!!!!!!!!!!!! (although in the pic you reference, I am sitting in the Nautique have some great conversation with Double D's Bro!)

Our 214 looks alot like GTS-20 but we have Metal Flake to the transom and black wedge accent in the back ........ no ballast, just a fat slalom boat for me and the family.

I tease DoubleD about his missing transom remote ....

GT500 MC
05-01-2012, 10:17 AM
On certain nights when the moon is just right, 93Prostar190 brings out the PS214 for play.

That is me!!!!!!!!!!!!! (although in the pic you reference, I am sitting in the Nautique have some great conversation with Double D's Bro!)

Our 214 looks alot like GTS-20 but we have Metal Flake to the transom and black wedge accent in the back ........ no ballast, just a fat slalom boat for me and the family.

I like it. From the front (second pic) it looked like you were in my MC and I was about to get nervous since I haven't seen it in about 6 months (storage still).

93Prostar190
05-01-2012, 10:19 AM
I like it. From the front (second pic) it looked like you were in my MC and I was about to get nervous since I haven't seen it in about 6 months (storage still).

I put it back with a full tank of gas and no water spots. You won't even notice .... ;)

BrooksfamX2
05-01-2012, 10:20 AM
That is exactly the way I have done it forever. 1) Use a anchor attached to a Anchor Buddy rope on the bow. 2) Use a Shallow Water Anchor Buddy rope attached the the stern and then connect the other end of the rope to a Beach Anchor SandSpike sunk into the beach / sand. The system works great!
Link: http://www.bakesonline.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=Beach

Me too....been using a sand spike and anchor buddy for 20 years...........:cool:
http://tuggyproducts.com/

GT500 MC
05-01-2012, 10:22 AM
I put it back with a full tank of gas and no water spots. You won't even notice .... ;)

I wish all my friends would do that. Helluva deal.

Double D
05-01-2012, 10:34 AM

I wish all my friends would do that. Helluva deal.

I'm glad you two got all that figured out while I was working. :D:D As you know by now my 205 is in the middle, with no transom remote....
93Prostar190 is a classy guy, with a great family, and an awesome Direct Drive PS214 (with Transom Remote). Can someone say "name change required"?? :rolleyes:

I do hate to ask this; a GTS-20?? Sorry about the Thread Jacking ourx15....

captain planet
05-01-2012, 10:51 AM
What about the skags, or fins? Does an X15 have those? Remember, Direct Drive guy. :) Depending on the slope of the beach you could dig these into the dirt first and possibly screw those up before you even hit the prop. I don't beach mine for all the above reasons mentioned. We just anchor off far enough not to hit anything.

Sent from my wife's old iPad using Tapatalk....

No it doesn't. Remember DoubleD, those v-drive boats are wanna-be ski boats, not real ski boats like yours and mine. ;)

On a side note a buddy of mine bought a boat that has been beached a bunch in it's lifetime. Over time with a little sediment getting pulled into the engine at each start up there was sediment built up in the block which didn't let the block cool properly and did some engine damage. IIRC, he had to have some valves replaced and have the block flushed. This is another reason to never beach your boat.

Double D
05-01-2012, 10:58 AM
No it doesn't. Remember DoubleD, those v-drive boats are wanna-be ski boats, not real ski boats like yours and mine. ;)

On a side note a buddy of mine bought a boat that has been beached a bunch in it's lifetime. Over time with a little sediment getting pulled into the engine at each start up there was sediment built up in the block which didn't let the block cool properly and did some engine damage. IIRC, he had to have some valves replaced and have the block flushed. This is another reason to never beach your boat.

Finally!! Now I know!! Thanks CP!

jared205v
05-01-2012, 06:46 PM

78266my v drive must want to be a ski boat. it has fins

craig3972
05-02-2012, 02:33 PM
fins are good , keeps the boat from turning sideways while parked on the beach.