PDA

View Full Version : Does the Indmar water pump have special internal parts?

flya750
04-30-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm trying to verify if the Indmar circulating water pump for a LT1 is any different than the GM car part # 1259560?

Does anyone know if the Indmar pumps is marinized in anyway over the GM part? Like say a ceramic seal, stainless steel backing plate, and a bronze impeller to resist corrosion? Anything like that installed in the Indmar pumps? I highly doubt Indmar went through that much effort? I would suspect on more expensive boats the circulating pumps have special internals? But in 1997, on a MC PS190 w/ LT1 ? What did Indmar put on that engine?

I can't seem to get a straight answer from my dealer. (This part is extremely frustrating...)

I'm willing to buy the right water pump whatever the costs. But if I can save some $$$ by going with GM part that would be all the more better. ;)

NatesGr8
04-30-2012, 02:53 PM
I noticed no difference on my 94 prostar's stock water pump to the gm one that i bought to replace the stocker. They claimed brass bushings or something like that, but as far as i could tell they were exactly the same. When i sold the PS the pump had 3 years on it without any problems.

JimN
04-30-2012, 03:12 PM
I'm trying to verify if the Indmar circulating water pump for a LT1 is any different than the GM car part # 1259560?

Does anyone know if the Indmar pumps is marinized in anyway over the GM part? Like say a ceramic seal, stainless steel backing plate, and a bronze impeller to resist corrosion? Anything like that installed in the Indmar pumps? I highly doubt Indmar went through that much effort? I would suspect on more expensive boats the circulating pumps have special internals? But in 1997, on a MC PS190 w/ LT1 ? What did Indmar put on that engine?

I can't seem to get a straight answer from my dealer. (This part is extremely frustrating...)

I'm willing to buy the right water pump whatever the costs. But if I can save some $$$ by going with GM part that would be all the more better. ;)

That's a GM part, not Indmar. They may put their own number on it but, unless they had them made to order, which isn't out of the question when a re-manufacturer can do it easily enough, but I was under the impression they sourced them from GM. As long as you get a pump that was made for this version of the LT-1, you're fine.

pram
04-30-2012, 04:04 PM
I changed mine this year

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-CORVETTE-LT1-water-pump-5-7-/261001463720?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc4e647a8

ricford
04-30-2012, 04:12 PM
The casting on the GM part is different. I used the GM part, but it has two ports for the heater hoses on the car. The old part only had the return port as the feed for the boat heater comes from a tee in the outlet hose. I put a short piece of heater hose on the unwanted port and put a cap on it.

flya750
04-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks Jim!