PDA

View Full Version : 78 S&S; Tow 4hrs full of gas?

ctjahn
04-30-2012, 02:33 PM
SO, last year I had a pretty nasty fuell smell and hope I traced it down to over-filling and replacing the vent/vent line/etc over the winter (it was the last of hoses not yet replaced).

But, now that I think about it... I stuffed it full of gas and headed on to the highway with my rolling armed bomb waiting for someone to strike a match or throw a butt out the window. Do most people tow empty and fill when they arrive at the desination for a longer tow then a few blocks?

Just wondering...

cj

thatsmrmastercraft
04-30-2012, 02:37 PM
I have yet to have any overfilling issues. If I am going on a long haul, I will usually plan to run it at least down to a 1/4 tank, then fill when I arrive.

GT500 MC
04-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Same here. We haul 950 miles to MN and I always try to get it under 1/2 full before we leave, both ways. Doesn't always work out but I want to try to keep as much unwanted weight as possible for economy.

ctjahn
04-30-2012, 02:58 PM
SO, last year I had a pretty nasty fuell smell and hope I traced it down to over-filling and replacing the vent/vent line/etc over the winter (it was the last of hoses not yet replaced).

But, now that I think about it... I stuffed it full of gas and headed on to the highway with my rolling armed bomb waiting for someone to strike a match or throw a butt out the window. Do most people tow empty and fill when they arrive at the desination for a longer tow then a few blocks?

Just wondering...

cj

Yea, hind-sight is 20-20. Sounds silly now.

I just prefer to be completely prepared and not have to deal with the gas station/etc.... after I arrive but... towing less full will probably reduce the fuel smell in the boat after a long haul (along with winter improvements).

MR -MC - overfilling was self imposed; not a boat problem if it wasnt clear! :)

thatsmrmastercraft
04-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Yea, hind-sight is 20-20. Sounds silly now.

I just prefer to be completely prepared and not have to deal with the gas station/etc.... after I arrive but... towing less full will probably reduce the fuel smell in the boat after a long haul (along with winter improvements).

MR -MC - overfilling was self imposed; not a boat problem if it wasnt clear! :)

Had to go back and reread to catch that. Living in the land of 10,000 lakes and twice as many gas stations, I have good stations near where I boat.

ctjahn
04-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Had to go back and reread to catch that. Living in the land of 10,000 lakes and twice as many gas stations, I have good stations near where I boat.

No doubt. Grew up on a lake with a gas-station (actually 2).... I miss that. (Or should I say both the lake gas station and living on the lake but until lotto hits or...)....