PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Boaters!!

Diesel
08-17-2005, 10:02 AM
So I booked our annual trip to Big Cedar Lodge on Table Rock and in my registration packet they had a special notice to boaters. It appears in 2006 all boaters (residents and non-residents) on MO waters will be required to have a valid MO BOATERS license. Anybody know the specifics......................................

Ric
08-17-2005, 10:18 AM
So I booked our annual trip to Big Cedar Lodge on Table Rock and in my registration packet they had a special notice to boaters. It appears in 2006 all boaters (residents and non-residents) on MO waters will be required to have a valid MO BOATERS license. Anybody know the specifics......................................
That'll be real good for tourism :confused:

Danimal
08-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Does this (http://www.pwcsafetyschool.com/missouri/hb_mo_state.html) help?

Danimal
08-17-2005, 10:53 AM
New Boater Education Law

Beginning January 1, 2005, all persons born after January 1, 1984, who operate any vessel on the lakes of the state of* Missouri must have on board his/her boating safety identification card issued by the Missouri State Water Patrol (MSWP). The card is obtained by successfully completing a boating safety course approved by the MSWP. Beginning January 1, 2006, the boating safety identification card requirement also applies to nonresidents. Beginning January 1, 2006, nonresidents may obtain a 30-day non-renewable temporary permit for the purpose of renting a vessel, in lieu of the boating safety identification card requirement above by passing an examination approved by the MSWP.

RobertT
08-17-2005, 11:55 AM
I live here, and have heard nothing. Sounds stupid. I am all about safety, and education. Table Rock is not too bad, but there are deaths on Lake of the Ozarks every holiday, so people upset.

I understand wanting to get the 17 year old kids licenses to operate a PWC. I would guess that is the biggest issue. But, to make an out of state resident get a permit to drive a boat is ridiculous. Why not also do that for drivers licenses. If you want to drive through our state, you have to get a temp permit.

Keep me informed on this one, I would like to hear the details.

I live on a private lake, and was born a few years before 84 :), so I am a little out of the loop on that stuff.

JDK
08-17-2005, 01:45 PM
We have pretty much exactly the same law in place in ALL of Canada.
The thing that I just can not figure out is that if the lawmakers want to save lives, there is one extremely simple, easy to follow, easy to understand, easy to enforce law that could be passed that would cut fatalities DRASTICALLY, instead of the 'operator safety card' trash.

.....everyone on a registered boat must wear a pfd, just like everyone on the road must wear a seatbelt.

jraben8
08-17-2005, 01:52 PM
Once word gets out about this either tourism will be cut (my activities when visiting friends there are water related so those trips will be moved) or more and more states may adopt a similar plan and they will reciprocate each others permits or licenses.

BriEOD
08-17-2005, 02:01 PM
Well remind me not to take any trips to the show me state with my boat.

gr8smiles
08-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Tennessee adopted a similar law this year. Anyone born after 1/1/89 has to pass a monitored TWRA course. However, the rental companies can issue a temporary card after the renters pass a 'quicky' course. Kind of a loophole as far as I am concerned, but I like the law as a rule.

Now, I don't have to worry about my kids friends wearing out my SeaDoo as much...

Don't know about the out-of-staters though....

edwin
08-18-2005, 09:39 PM
I completed the MO safe boating course back in 2001...took less than 15 minutes, now saves me 15% on my boat insurance.

Cloaked
08-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Tennessee adopted a similar law this year. Anyone born after 1/1/89 has to pass a monitored TWRA course. However, the rental companies can issue a temporary card after the renters pass a 'quicky' course. Kind of a loophole as far as I am concerned, but I like the law as a rule.

Now, I don't have to worry about my kids friends wearing out my SeaDoo as much...

Don't know about the out-of-staters though....http://www.tnboat.com/main/

erkoehler
08-18-2005, 11:43 PM
The insurance discount is great, I have it on my snowmobiles.

bucky
08-19-2005, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the link. Read the entire thing. 1 hour, 27 minutes. Some valuable info, and it never hurts to review the basics.

http://www.tnboat.com/main/

krra1
08-19-2005, 10:33 AM
Maryland has had this program in place for years. Anyone born after July 1, 1972 needs to take a course and pass a test. I took it with my 10 year old daughter. We both passed. The class focused on general safety, nothing more.