PDA

View Full Version : Adding gas fill to other side of boat?

Lennyp04
04-30-2012, 11:54 AM
As the title says, has anyone ever added a gas fill to the opposite side of the boat then where the current one is. I know most of the MC's come from the factory with a gas fill on both the port and starboard side. Our X-1 only has a gas fill on the starboard side. We just built a new dock and where the boat will be parked makes the gas fill inaccessible from the dock. We were thinking about adding another gas fill to the port side. Obviously it would involve drilling and running hoses, but has anyone done it? If so, is it a hard project? Any info would be appreciated!

Thank you!

-Lenny

Jerseydave
04-30-2012, 12:04 PM
My X-star fuel tank has an inlet on each side, but I'm sure your X-1 does not. So the only way to do this would be to install some kind of Y-fitting in your existing inlet hose and run a new inlet hose to the new side. Seems a bit extreme to me, why not turn the boat around and dock it the other way? Or just buy my X-star for $50K! :D

Lennyp04
04-30-2012, 12:28 PM
My X-star fuel tank has an inlet on each side, but I'm sure your X-1 does not. So the only way to do this would be to install some kind of Y-fitting in your existing inlet hose and run a new inlet hose to the new side. Seems a bit extreme to me, why not turn the boat around and dock it the other way? Or just buy my X-star for $50K! :D

Correct. The X1 does not. The whole reason for asking is the new dock is essentially a straight line. The boat will be strategically parked to help with the winds that we get. When looking at the lake, the stronger winds will blow right to left, so the boat will be parked on the left side of the dock. Parking the boat: The boat will HAVE to be parked bow toward shore. We are only 3.5 feet deep when sitting in the dock. With the way they change the water level at Wallenpaupack, were asking for lots of trouble stern toward shore.

The dock will look like this. x's mark where the boat will be parked, held to the dock with whips. The other side will a jet ski dock on it. The numbers represent how deep the water level is throughout the dock. Before anyone suggests it. No we can not make the dock longer. We are at max length. As far as where the boat is parked, it is done so to protect from winds. Ignore the dashes and dots in the picture. I had to add them so it would format correctly.

x..|--------| 4.0
x..|--------|
x..|--------|
x..|--------| 3.0
.....|-----|
.....|-----|
.....|-----|
.....|-----| 1.5
.......|--|
.......|--|
----SHORE------

ttu
04-30-2012, 12:33 PM
my 07 x2 is on the port side. makes it easy to fill up the truck and boat at the same time but a real pita to fill up at a marina.:(

Lennyp04
04-30-2012, 12:36 PM
my 07 x2 is on the port side. makes it easy to fill up the truck and boat at the same time but a real pita to fill up at a marina.:(

This is why I need to find an option to add a gas fill. Our old dock way Y shaped (like a goal post) so it never mattered. We don't trailer the boat so we could care less if its on the same side as the car gas fill. The option is there to flip the boat around just to fill it, but it would just make life easier if we had a fill on both sides.

Jeff d
04-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Seems like you'd spend more time and/or money adding the second fill hole than turning the boat around for the purposes of refueling for many seasons to come.

Most of our boats have such a hard time "accepting" fuel through the factory fill hose I'd think it would just make it worse to make it more restrictive with a "Y". I'm guessing that the boats with dual filler hoses actually have dual inlets molded into the tank itself. If you could get some sort of inlet flange that could be connected to a new hole in the tank that would work well but it would be a big pain to add that without getting plastic shavings into your tank.

Are you refueling from 5 gallon containers? If so what about using the siphon technique with a large vinyl hose and just sitting the containers on the sun pad and fill it on the non-dock side? It supposedly works great for those who refuel on the water from cans once you get the technique down.

If you're using some sort of gas caddy/pump what about just adding some length to the hose so it can reach across to the other side?

Barefooter92
04-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Drilling holes in the 'glass suck but it can be done. I would be more worried about the hole at the tank. May need to buy a new tank. The hole at the deck with a new fill bung is a piece of cake. I drilled two 5" holes in the 'glass this weekend with a brand new hole saw, cut like butter.

onewheat
04-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Depending on how much room you have to access things, I don't see why adding a Y or T fitting (depending on clearance) and would affect your fill at all. Typically, problems arise from venting (or lack of) while filling. I can fill the X-15 wide open on any pump and never get a burp or spill out - fill until the pump clicks off several times - just crack the cap on the non-filling side and WIDE OPEN. I am not familiar enough with the X-1 to account for the space, but adding a T or Y fitting, some equal sized hose and a port on the opposite side shouldn't be that big of a deal - given enough room.

Jerseydave
04-30-2012, 08:08 PM
If you're filling with gas cans, all you need is some clear tubing the correct size of your gas can opening, an old bath mat, put the can on the sun pad and let 'er rip!

Hey at least your boat doesn't hold over 50 gals like mine! :D

Lennyp04
05-01-2012, 09:31 AM
I think the reason for the idea is just simplicity. Considering this dock will probably last for a long time it will just add a level of simplicity. So some of you said adding a Y or a T fitting in the lines. I like that idea a lot but without looking at it, I don't know if it's possible. We've drilled holes in the fiber glass to add speakers so thats probably the least of our concern considering we're re doing the ballast system so that it will empty above the water line, next to where it would overflow from (07 and newer empty under the boat).