PDA

View Full Version : X35 Or X30 for beginner wakesurfing?

hadip
04-30-2012, 11:32 AM
I'm a total n00b, looking to decide between an x30 and x35. I've never wakesurfed, but I want to learn. the other equally important use for the boat will be cruising around and pulling little kids around innertubing. This is on lake washington, which is calm some days, choppy other days.

I already test-drove both, it's clear the x35 is a bit harder to maneuver. But how much better is it in moderately rough water? And which boat has a better wake for LEARNING wakesurfing (or is the difference in wakes irrelevant for novices)?

CantRepeat
04-30-2012, 12:51 PM
I'm a total n00b, looking to decide between an x30 and x35. I've never wakesurfed, but I want to learn. the other equally important use for the boat will be cruising around and pulling little kids around innertubing. This is on lake washington, which is calm some days, choppy other days.

I already test-drove both, it's clear the x35 is a bit harder to maneuver. But how much better is it in moderately rough water? And which boat has a better wake for LEARNING wakesurfing (or is the difference in wakes irrelevant for novices)?

There will be no real difference in learning to surf behind either boat. You will just not weight them for maximum surf wake until you get better at surfing.

IMHO: Go with whatever boat will give the best wave period. You'll progress fast enough that if you compromise now you'll be mad that you did later on.

I do not know how much difference there is in the hull of the boats from the 06 to 2012 model X30s, but I have been told this:

The current X35 was a better surf boat then the 06-10 X30. I have not surfed the X35 nor have a I set one up. Chase Hazen, the current world champ has an X35. As far as the 2012 X30 vs current X35s I don't think anyone has that answer yet.

MIskier
04-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Regardless of which generation of x-30, the X-35 will have better ruff water performance.

BMcD
04-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Hey Hadip,

I would strongly recommend the X35 for LW and surfing. It is a heavier boat with more room on board for people and weight. Regardless of beging a beginner or an expert, you will want the boat with maximum versatility. Surfing is a great sport for virtually everyone.

We are also on LW and decided to go with the X45 to make sure we had a big heavy boat for those rough weekend days in the summer. Now that we have spent a few seasons with the boat, we regularly load it with additional ballast in the rear lockers. I think you will be very happy with the 35 (we strongly considered) and will be able to shape a great wake.

If interested in a great wakesurf board, drop us a line at Day1 (http://www.Day1Wake.com).

www.Day1Wake.com

BMcD
'06 8.1L X-45

BrooksfamX2
04-30-2012, 04:35 PM
:wavey: from Oregon..........

hadip
05-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Hey Hadip,

I would strongly recommend the X35 for LW and surfing. It is a heavier boat with more room on board for people and weight. Regardless of beging a beginner or an expert, you will want the boat with maximum versatility. Surfing is a great sport for virtually everyone.

We are also on LW and decided to go with the X45 to make sure we had a big heavy boat for those rough weekend days in the summer. Now that we have spent a few seasons with the boat, we regularly load it with additional ballast in the rear lockers. I think you will be very happy with the 35 (we strongly considered) and will be able to shape a great wake.

If interested in a great wakesurf board, drop us a line at Day1 (http://www.Day1Wake.com).

www.Day1Wake.com

BMcD
'06 8.1L X-45
BMcD, I understand the x35 has better rough water performance, but are you sure the difference is critical on Lake Washington? I live in a calmer bay, and while I'd lose the smooth ride in choppy water I'd gain easier maneuverability around other traffic if I want to take the kids out inner-tubing.

Does anybody know which has a better wave for learning surfing - brand new x35 or new x30? Or is the difference immaterial for beginners?

jasonba1
05-01-2012, 04:12 PM
i think the new x30 has a better surf wake than the 35

CantRepeat
05-01-2012, 04:36 PM
i think the new x30 has a better surf wake than the 35

How do you know this? I've not seen a 2012 X30 setup for surfing with anything other then the factory ballast +400 lbs and at that it doesn't compare to the 35.

Truthfully, no one knows what the new 30 is capable of when talking about surfing.

CantRepeat
05-01-2012, 04:37 PM
BMcD, I understand the x35 has better rough water performance, but are you sure the difference is critical on Lake Washington? I live in a calmer bay, and while I'd lose the smooth ride in choppy water I'd gain easier maneuverability around other traffic if I want to take the kids out inner-tubing.

Does anybody know which has a better wave for learning surfing - brand new x35 or new x30? Or is the difference immaterial for beginners?

Did you skip over my post?

BMcD
05-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Just my opinion, but I think the difference in true maneuverability is going to be negligible. Hopefully, you won't be contending with so much "traffic" when tubing that the 30 vs 45 will make a real difference. We have spent a decent amount of time tubing behind the 45 on Lake Washington and I have never wished I had better maneuverability.

Again, just my opinion, but I don't think you should buy based on a beginner vs advanced surf wake. The reality is that the better surf wake you have, the better you will be able to surf... regardless of how experienced you are. If you are going to be doing a lot of surfing, buy the boat with the best potential surf wake. I believe that is the X35 between the two you are considering.

BTW: since you are local to the Seattle area, talk to Darren the GM at the MC dealership in Issaquah. I know they have surfed behind the new X30 and can give you a true comparison. He's a good guy and will give you a very honest answer.

BMcD
www.Day1Wake.com

hadip
05-01-2012, 07:11 PM
thanks BMcD, Darren at the MC dealership says that the new x30 has a better wave than the x35, but it wasn't clear if this was from having rode it himself or just repeating the official MC marketing

CantRepeat - yes I read what you wrote, I have just been looking to hear more opinions, to see if anybody else had direct experience.

tr6coug
05-01-2012, 07:34 PM

In what way is the X35 harder to maneuver than the X30?

jasonba1
05-01-2012, 09:23 PM
i went out on a x30 with stock ballast in knoxville and I have been out on the 35 several times weighted and all I can say stock the 30 is alot better and if it had extra weight i can only imagine how big it is

jasonba1
05-01-2012, 09:26 PM
when i say that i mean stock vs stock the 30 is better

CantRepeat
05-01-2012, 09:58 PM
i went out on a x30 with stock ballast in knoxville and I have been out on the 35 several times weighted and all I can say stock the 30 is alot better and if it had extra weight i can only imagine how big it is

Well, all I can say is from looking at the videos of the 2012 X30 with stock +400 they come no where near close to what Chase Hazen has done on an X35.

http://slayshtank.com/2011/06/mastercraftwakesurf/

Eagle
05-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Hadi,

Just driving around Lake WA I don't think the difference in maneuverability will matter. You'll get used to either quickly. The only scenario that it might create a little more discomfort is when you're docking into a tight, unfamiliar place. On the other hand, the water on Lake WA can get quite rough, and the better rough water behavior could very well make a big difference in comfort for you and your passengers.

I can't speak for the specific differences between the X-35 and X-30; I don't know just how the X-30 behaves in rougher water, or how much more maneuverable it is than the X-35.

What I can say is that I previously had 205V based X-2 (similar to the X-1) and now have an X-25. The X-2 may be the most maneuverable V-drive MC has made. It felt like a sports car. The X-25 handles more like a big sedan. It doesn't turn nearly as quickly so I have to be more thoughtful in tight spaces or slow speeds. But in normal driving, really no functional difference.

The big difference is that the X-25 is a deep V and cuts through the rough water to the extent I don't notice it much any more, whereas the X-2 got pounded. Even just crossing over my own wake when turning around -- huge difference that my crew and I noticed and appreciated right away. It also means that on many afternoons when I wanted to take the boat out for a cruise with friends and family, or a tubing session with kids, with the X-2 I wouldn't go because it was too rough, or the risk of taking hits over the bow. No problem with the X-25 -- and I get much more family use with the X-25 than I did with the X-2 as a result.

DemolitionMan
05-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Sorry only X30 pic I had.

hadip
05-02-2012, 04:30 PM
BMcD - I test-drove both, at least on a calm day, the maneuverability difference was pretty obvious. x30 turned much more quickly, x35 reacted a few seconds later, (and required hydraulic steering). I think this also could make it harder to pick up a surfer/boarder once they are in the water, it's slightly harder to circle around them.

I've spoken with Darren at MC and test-driven both boats, he says x30 has a better surf wake, but I'm not sure if that's from his personal experience or repeating MC's marketing.

jason95gt
05-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Stock for Stock the X-30 is more maneuverable along with having a better surf wake and better beginner wakeboard wake. The 35 can have a massive surf wake, but needs a lot of weight. Mr Hazen, I believe, was running about 4000lbs of ballast on one side of the boat.

willyt
05-03-2012, 12:42 PM
and remember.. this is for a beginner. I learned to surf behind a 79 S&S, it took alot of skill to let go of the rope, so when i'm on a big wake it seems like cake now. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

the 35 is just SUCH a big boat, and the 30 is shiney and new, although with being awesome.

hadip
05-04-2012, 02:03 AM
Thanks everybody for the help, I decided to go with the x30 :)

And fyi, Darren from the mastercraft dealership confirmed for me that in his experience he's surfed behind both the x30 and the x35, and that the x30 has a better wake for surfing WHEN weighted equally with the x35, ie if comparing apples/apples. (i.e. he wasn't just repeating mastercraft's marketing)

Forrest-X45
05-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Congrats on your decision to go with the X30! It will be a great boat for Lk Washington.

I wasn't going to speak for Darren so it's good you went back to clarify since MOST of the time he does know what he is talking about. I have only had to correct him a few times. :D :D

In a more serious tone - the guys at NW Watersports are really good people and I have nothing but great things to say. Now we need to see some pics of the new boat and I will look for you next time I am on Washington.

dlamont
05-04-2012, 10:50 PM
^^Thanks for the kind words Forrest...I think.^^

I've only surfed the X30 three times now but it has a killer wave. Less weight is needed for a very good wave and it's equally good on both sides. Just in case any of you goofy riders are out there.

hadip, thank you again for the business and can't wait to get out there with you for a surf session!!