PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tire ( Replacement )

magnum
04-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Well 1st trip to the lake today and had a Blowout on tandem trailer GoodYear Marathon on 06 XStar Looks like I will be getting a new set of tires . Anyone have any suggestions what to go back with. GoodYear or is there something better out there

willyt
04-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Just curious, what psi were you running them at?

Do a search, lots of threads on this. Consensus is either komo 857 or maxxxis. I have an 07 that I think need replaced soon

magnum
04-28-2012, 10:31 PM
It has on tire I think the max is 50 psi I had them at 45 I noticed in my mirror on the way to lake that I could see the tread kinda wobbling that not real straight and I just thought it had sit all winter and maybe a flat spot on tire but it wasn't . it really didnt tear all to pieces, just about a foot of the tread came off and exposed the wires so didn't blow out and tear fender up at all . think being a tandem saved it from doing that .

willyt
04-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Ah, there you go. Marathons' recommended pressure was 50, max was 65. I run them at 60

thatsmrmastercraft
04-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Six year old trailer tires are an invitation to trouble regardless of brand or amount of miles on them. I never recommend running trailer tires for more than five seasons. I do recommend running trailer tires at capacity as there is little advantage to run them at less.

Maranthons are another story. Plenty of first hand accounts of issues with them here.

onewheat
04-29-2012, 12:23 AM
I noticed in my mirror on the way to lake that I could see the tread kinda wobbling that not real straight and I just thought it had sit all winter and maybe a flat spot on tire but it wasn't .

That happened to us on the way home from Bike Week - my friend's trailer developed a slight vibe which got progressively worse and then a tire blew. We pulled over and two of the others had large tread bulges in them as well. When they go, they go quickly and usually in bunches. If you have one bad one - chances are the others would go soon. Luckily your fenders came out unscathed.

Jeff Lyman
04-29-2012, 09:09 AM
So the blow out I had last summer on my Goodyears was due. They were origonal 1993 and traveled a ton I even have stone chips on my boat form so much towing!!!! The tread came apart like Magnums. The key I think is keep them out of the sun and cover when not in use like the motorhome people due.

Jerseydave
04-29-2012, 09:23 AM
I had 3 marathons come apart on my '05 X-star trailer. I'm convinced there were some defective marathons back around '04-'05. I replaced 2 with Marathons again and 2 with Carlisles....so far so good on both pairs.

The 5 year rule is a good one, any tire older than 5 years and you're playing with fire.

skijwr
04-29-2012, 10:09 PM
I bought my MC about a year ago, it had the original Marathons on the trailer from 2001 (I checked the date code). They were still holding air, riding smooth, and lots of tread left. I think the whole rig was stored indoors, hence why they lasted so long. I replaced the tires last year with new Carlisle tires, just so I would not have to worry. Also, instead of the standard C load rating, I upgraded to the D load rating. I have single axle trailer.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-30-2012, 10:10 AM
I had 3 marathons come apart on my '05 X-star trailer. I'm convinced there were some defective marathons back around '04-'05. I replaced 2 with Marathons again and 2 with Carlisles....so far so good on both pairs.

The 5 year rule is a good one, any tire older than 5 years and you're playing with fire.

There was a bad lot of Marathons a number of years ago. Or perhaps it was a manufacturing change that has created an inferior tire? Just an opinion............certainly not enough for a legal action.:rolleyes:

Jeff d
04-30-2012, 10:39 AM
My first Marathon failed gracefully like the OP's. I replaced it but cheaped out and continued to run the other 3. The next one didn't go so gracefully and took out the rear of my fender plus my new LED tail light. When changing it on the side of the interstate I inadvertently punched the hot asphault when my jack handle came off and tore my knuckles up pretty bad. Moral of the story is replace 'em after about 5-6 years whether they look like they need it or not.

Fast50dad
05-10-2012, 07:49 PM
I tested my Marathon's in the garage tonight (pulling to the lake tomorrow night). From in the boat looking down they looked low, so I tested them. One was 54psi, the other 55psi (max). Should I add air for the 45 mile drive? Is it just me or should it have a tandem trailer for an 03 PS 209?

mikeg205
05-10-2012, 07:56 PM
I put new Carlisles on my trailer last year - load range C - hauled the boat to Lake of the Woods Canada and back to Chicago... 50psi - stopped every 90 minutes...cuz someone had to pee or something then gas...etc...tires were perfect - same temp as van tires... a little warm but nothing major...good new quality tires, balanced, inflated right - drive right speed - no problems... old tires, under inflated - just asking for it. Friend of mine towed a 22 foot Rinker with old tires and old spare... 3 blow outs...

east tx skier
05-10-2012, 08:04 PM
After two sets of Marathons, I went with Maxxis.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-10-2012, 11:47 PM
I tested my Marathon's in the garage tonight (pulling to the lake tomorrow night). From in the boat looking down they looked low, so I tested them. One was 54psi, the other 55psi (max). Should I add air for the 45 mile drive? Is it just me or should it have a tandem trailer for an 03 PS 209?

Are they the original tires? If so, you are on borrowed time. I always suggest replacement after five years. There is never a reason to run trailer tires under the max tire pressure. As for a tandem trailer, plenty of boats run on single axle trailers without trouble.

Barefooter92
05-11-2012, 07:41 AM
I have two new Carlisle's in the truck right now. I cought mine before the blowout.

captkidd
05-18-2012, 04:11 PM
This is probably going to scare some of you to death, but I just had my trailer tires replaced (went with Maxxis based on some of your recommendations and that of my tire guy). He said that based on the date codes, the Goodyear Marathons I had were 19 years old! I know I've replaced a couple of them over the years due to tire failures, but apparently I replaced with someone's old stock. The scary thing is that they still looked really good; no cracking, even wear, and plenty of tread left. Still, I knew that I was riding on borrowed time, and that if one (or more) went out that it could do some serious damage. He said they were a bear to get off the rims, as the beads had gotten so hard that he had to seriously damage the old tires in the removal process.

I'll tell you something else he told me (FWIW). He said that of all the trailer tires he's ever sold, the Carlisles have been by far the worst. Many of them separated and destroyed fenders, lights, etc., and then the buyers came back to him complaining about them. He now refuses to sell or install them. Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, just telling you what I was told. They may have improved since then. He has no reason to steer me wrong; he doesn't stock any tires, he makes the same amount of profit on each set, and he knows that the only way to keep customers is by treating them right (he is a one-man, local shop).

mikeg205
05-18-2012, 04:29 PM
I believe all tires are decent these days if used correctly. Litigation costs are far to high to even chance failure. Do tires fail...of course eventually. I took my Carlisles to Northwest Ontario - 800 miles each way. What really scares me is those little trailer tires on fishing boats that have 115-150HP motors on them...Run the correct pressure and don't run 'em more than 5 years. After 6 years the owner of the tire becomes liable for property and human damage.

Funny started looking at reviews on line for Carlisles, Maxxis etc...everyone has a complaint of some sort... We'll see what happens this year on my trip to Ontario. I know I will be keeping a close eye on them tires and the road of course>>>>

mikeg205
05-18-2012, 04:42 PM
okay found this at www.trailertires.com...to funny and on topic...

thatsmrmastercraft
05-19-2012, 03:40 PM
This is probably going to scare some of you to death, but I just had my trailer tires replaced (went with Maxxis based on some of your recommendations and that of my tire guy). He said that based on the date codes, the Goodyear Marathons I had were 19 years old! I know I've replaced a couple of them over the years due to tire failures, but apparently I replaced with someone's old stock. The scary thing is that they still looked really good; no cracking, even wear, and plenty of tread left. Still, I knew that I was riding on borrowed time, and that if one (or more) went out that it could do some serious damage. He said they were a bear to get off the rims, as the beads had gotten so hard that he had to seriously damage the old tires in the removal process.

I'll tell you something else he told me (FWIW). He said that of all the trailer tires he's ever sold, the Carlisles have been by far the worst. Many of them separated and destroyed fenders, lights, etc., and then the buyers came back to him complaining about them. He now refuses to sell or install them. Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, just telling you what I was told. They may have improved since then. He has no reason to steer me wrong; he doesn't stock any tires, he makes the same amount of profit on each set, and he knows that the only way to keep customers is by treating them right (he is a one-man, local shop).

Ten or fifteen years ago, Carlisle trailer tire quality went way south for a hand-full of years. They have since recovered their original good quality.