PDA

View Full Version : Stiches on Vacation

Sullivan
04-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Holly smokes! I cut my shin in January when I was skiing in Florida. I went to a minor emergency clinic with my two little boys and waited for an hour. When I finally got in to see the doctor he said they typically don't do stiches. What? So I went to the ER down the road and got in right away. 45 minutes later I walked out with less than 10 stiches in my shin.

In the last week we have recieved over $2000 in medical bills for simple stiches!:mad: My deductible is $2500 this year. Last year it was $500 but we had to increase it to $2500 just to maintain last years rates.

This is insane.

Lars
04-27-2012, 11:54 PM
Depends on the cut. Shallow lacerations can be stitched up at an urgent care place but deep large lacerations require more skill and run much more. Your insurance will negotiate that price down so you do have that going for you. My father is an ER doc around here and so I hear about stuff like this often.

zamboniman
04-28-2012, 12:52 AM
Next time some stiff alcohol and some super glue. Seriously though its insane.. wife needed an antibiotic middle of night out of town... similar situation not even a stitch but a $500 bill later prescription in hand.

2RLAKE
04-28-2012, 08:41 AM
duct tape and super glue!

Patrick Hardy
04-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Holly smokes! I cut my shin in January when I was skiing in Florida. I went to a minor emergency clinic with my two little boys and waited for an hour. When I finally got in to see the doctor he said they typically don't do stitches. What? So I went to the ER down the road and got in right away. 45 minutes later I walked out with less than 10 stitches in my shin.

In the last week we have received over $2000 in medical bills for simple stitches!:mad: My deductible is $2500 this year. Last year it was $500 but we had to increase it to $2500 just to maintain last years rates.

This is insane.

Sullivan, sorry to hear about your vacation accident and being SUCK into our health care hell. It is insane! All because the Hospital does not have a contract with your Insurance Plan and they can and will charge you as a out of Plan patient. Here is a good / sad article from Monday's Seattle Times Newspaper that pretty much sums up our country's Hospital(s) cost difference nightmare - http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2018054596_hospitalbills24.html

Patrick Hardy
04-28-2012, 09:15 AM
duct tape and super glue!

That would work for short term and or if that is all that is available. if the injury / wound is not real deep and or bleeding excessively, then clean the wound, cover the area with liquid bandage / band aid and then dress the wound with gauze bandages. If the wound is still bleeding once you get home, then go see your local Doctor or your in Insurance Plan ER. The cost savings will be tremendous.

Sullivan
04-28-2012, 09:39 AM
If I would have known it would cost $2000 for stiches I would have said "HELL NO". My wife is a Vetrinarian and I would have waited for her to return from her CE class so she could stich me up.

Is there any way that I could call the hospital and negotiate with them like an insurance company does. Basically pay 1/2 the cost the hospital is billing?

Patrick Hardy
04-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Is there any way that I could call the hospital and negotiate with them like an insurance company does. Basically pay 1/2 the cost the hospital is billing?

You can always try. Call the Hospital's billing and or finance department (look up online if they have a free 1-800- phone number) and try to negotiate the 'balance billing". That is the amount that they are trying to bill / recover that your Insurance will not meet / pay for. Seeing how we live in WA. and the Hospital is in FL., it might be a battle. Worth a try though. A few long distance phone calls and polite conversations may pay off for you. Good luck.

zamboniman
04-28-2012, 09:59 AM
If I would have known it would cost $2000 for stiches I would have said "HELL NO". My wife is a Vetrinarian and I would have waited for her to return from her CE class so she could stich me up.

Yes absolutely ... EVERYTHING is negotiable .. you may or may not succeed and you may have hard time getting ahold if someone but keep at it and be polite .. any little bit helps. At a minimum they may agree to a payment plan.

mikeg205
04-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Yeah you can try to negotiate...its already been billed so someone will have to issue a credit. Wait too long and it will hit your credit report....If they sell the debt then you'll get the harassing calls. IF your very active, it's best to learn when you need to hit the ER. Take a first aid class - some things can wait... About all you'll get is a payment plan for the stitches... $200 a stitch... I scraped the tip of my thumb and needed a little surgery to cut some of the nail off... my doctor sent me to a hand surgeon..I'm like really? just get the Novocaine and cut the side of the nail to the bottom so it will heal.... nope had to go to hand surgeon... $180 in copays... hand surgeon bill? $3400 - they know how to milk the system...and btw...one stitch to hold gauze in place...

good luck

ahhudgins
04-28-2012, 08:05 PM
I had a 20-minute MRI on my shoulder last year and it was going to cost me $1,500. I opted for a $5,000 deductible on my insurance policy because I rarely go to the doctor. I asked the doctor if it would be cheaper if I just wrote them a check rather than file my insurance company? They let me bring a $500 check the day of the MRI and billed me for another $500. (A $500 savings) They still sent the procedure to my insurance company that showed I paid the bill, so it was still applied to my deductible.

My 19 year old just had a 20 minute MRI on his head and they billed the insurance company $4,200.:eek: My son is on my wife’s policy.

onewheat
04-29-2012, 12:29 AM
I had a 15 minute ambulance ride last year where they started an IV for me - that was $1400. My son rode along with me in the same ambulance and they checked his blood pressure for $850. You don't want to hear about those ER Room bills - he was fine and I was released in a few hours.

This will all be free when Obama-care goes into effect, right? :D