PDA

View Full Version : Things I have learned - thanks!

slickwilly
04-27-2012, 12:37 PM
First real post so be gentle.
Things I have learned about my 1995 PS 205 from searching and reading here( Thank you) and my own experience. Hopefully this helps someone else out.
Never allow anyone on platform if engine is running. Never, not for a second.
Always check for the plug is in when launching the boat. Duh, done this twice but I can screw that puppy in pretty quick.
To retrieve boat at launch, put trailer in water till the water is just below the fenders. This is at my ramp with my boat. YMMV
Got a nice water line sunbrella cover from skiboatcovers.com.
Use skateboard grip tape to replace grip tape on fenders of trailer.
The fuel gauge can be repaired easily doesnít need to be replaced.
The fuel pump has a screen that clogs because the fuel filter is after the pump. Put in an aux one before the fuel pump.
If throttle gets sticky it can be hard old grease in it. Clean it.
Anyone can be taught to drive a ski boat -my wife included.
The cigarette lighter canít handle a spot light for very long before it trips the breaker.
The raw water pump has a replace-able seal on the engine side that SKIDIM.com carries.
Magic erasers can be used on spots on the interior.
Black magic marker can be used for touching up the windshield frame scratches.
The black center roller on the trailer should be replaced with a poly one and while you are at it trim the metal bracket that holds it so in case the inner hub breaks it wonít get your hull.
Trailer brakes -replace brake lines and go with rotors when the master or cylinders go.
Always grease the wheel bearings and use bearing buddies and covers.

Things I still need to learn.
How to fix my hot start problem within out extended cranking.
Need to install trailer drag wheels so I donít drag when leaving the ice cream joint after skiing.

east tx skier
04-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Be careful with Magic Eraser. It works, but it is removing a bit of vinyl in the process. Last resort sort of thing.

Never thought of the skate board grip tape. Probably works pretty well.

On retrieving your boat, drop the trailer into the water until the entirety of the bunks are submerged, then pull it out to the point where the water is just under the fender. This will moisten up your bunk carpet.

willyt
04-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Ah, it's slick, my evil cousin

pram
04-27-2012, 04:07 PM
I thought it was your alter ego?

tommyadrian5
04-27-2012, 04:07 PM
The raw water pump has a replace-able seal on the engine side that SKIDIM.com carries.

Did you actually do this? I just learned that as well, and would like to replace that part to get rid of my slow leak. How hard was it?

ahhudgins
04-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Be careful with Magic Eraser. It works, but it is removing a bit of vinyl in the process. Last resort sort of thing.

Never thought of the skate board grip tape. Probably works pretty well.

On retrieving your boat, drop the trailer into the water until the entirety of the bunks are submerged, then pull it out to the point where the water is just under the fender. This will moisten up your bunk carpet.

I'm glad you mentioned this. My wife has used the Magic Eraser on our tubs a few times and I've noticed that they are getting dirtier much quicker now. I felt the ruff side of the pad and I'm guessing it's like wet sanding your tub. I'm glad I never used it on my boat.

madcityskier
04-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Actually, forget the wheels and find an ice cream place on the water. If there isn't one, come to Madison, WI.

Cloaked
04-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Did you actually do this? I just learned that as well, and would like to replace that part to get rid of my slow leak. How hard was it?Very easy procedure.

CruisinGA
04-27-2012, 09:06 PM
On my raw water pump, the bearings were toast as well as the seal. Be prepared to replace them.