PDA

View Full Version : Building myself a ski lake

petermegan
04-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Hi Guys, I just thought I would share a photo or two from OZ. I have decided to bite the bullet so to speak and have a go at building my own ski Lake. We just started shifting the topsoil in the last week and will hopefully finish that before it gets too wet coming into our Winter over here. This is only a part time project and hope to finish it next Summer. Initial plans are for 400M*100M (440yards by 110yards), wondering if we have any words of wisdom from all you helpful people. Love some input please. I will try and post a few more photos as we progress.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Now that is an undertaking. This should be fun to follow.

Double D
04-27-2012, 10:03 AM
That's awesome!! Except that you don't live next door to me!!! :mad:

Look forward to the progress shots and the finished lake!!

petermegan
04-27-2012, 10:04 AM
If you don't hear from me for a looooong time it means it didn't work out so well:D

BrooksfamX2
04-27-2012, 10:16 AM
Nice!..........

joyner1020
04-27-2012, 10:20 AM
If you don't hear from me for a looooong time it means it didn't work out so well:D

^ OR........... it might mean ur wife found out what u were doing and killed u :D

DemolitionMan
04-27-2012, 10:23 AM
I have always wanted to do that.

mybobtail
04-27-2012, 10:31 AM
you lucky bugger I am in WA so when you finish shoot me off an email and I will come over and help you test no charge .
so how do you plan to fill it .do you have some sort of diversion or something

19_Skier
04-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Good luck with the project - there are a lot on here that would will be very envious of you next summer!

Another great resource you might want to check out (if you have not already) is ballofspray.com. Lots of helpful folks on there that have built and maintain custom ski lakes.

east tx skier
04-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Good luck!

However, 440 yards (1,320') is a bit on the short side for a ski lake? The course is 850 feet (259M). If you want 55M setup buoys, add 182' to each side. That's leaving you about 75' on each end for the skier to get up and ready. For reference, USAWS tests towboats acceleration to 36 mph over 250'.

We set up a course on a lake that was about 1,800' and, even without 55m buoys, it's a tight squeeze and we found ourselves starting off going the other way and turning a circle into the course. This is not ideal for the rollers it creates, but it's doable.

If you have room, go for 2,000 feet or, in a perfect world, 2,500'. If you don't have room and 1,320 is your max, look into an 8 buoy setup for the course.

Also, what sort of slope are you using for the sides? How deep will it be? If you are relying on run off to fill it, consider digging it deep all the way out to the turn balls so that you can keep skiing even when the rain isn't what you hoped it would be. Finally, if you are considering having turn islands, my understanding from lake owners with whom I've spoken is that they're more trouble than they're worth, so much so that I know one who finally dug his island out after 15 years of messing with it.

Again, not trying to discourage you. A lot of us dream of having our own private spot. But if you're going to the trouble, best to build it too big rather than too small. Best of luck! Keep us posted and keep posting pictures.

jamisonsbrodie
04-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Awesome project, but it seems awefully short? 440 yards (1320 feet) is really short.

Edit: Sorry, I guess ETS beat me to it.

h2oskifreak
04-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Agree w/ Eastie, longer would be better. My lake is 1700 long and it is about as short as a set up as I would want.

east tx skier
04-27-2012, 11:09 AM
This is 1,800'.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-TgMYFMMYDYM/S47e5tL4agI/AAAAAAAACuA/esPI4VN3t2k/s600/Course%2520at%2520Buzzard%2520Buoy.JPG

19_Skier
04-27-2012, 11:34 AM
This is 1,800'.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-TgMYFMMYDYM/S47e5tL4agI/AAAAAAAACuA/esPI4VN3t2k/s600/Course%2520at%2520Buzzard%2520Buoy.JPG

Is that grass/weeds by 2 ball??

broncotw
04-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Awesome! Great post! Please keep us updated!!!

Phntmski
04-27-2012, 12:09 PM
A private ski lake, the dream of most on here.......:D

SkiDog
04-27-2012, 01:20 PM
I have always wanted to do that.

Its not like YOU don't have the equipment! Whats stopping you?

petermegan
04-27-2012, 02:11 PM
I have been skiing on a friends lake nearby that is only 320m by 50m with a 2/3 course and it is really quite tight but adequate. I don't have length constraints, maybe I can look at this a little more. Now is the time to change it! I have an extremely wet property and plan on filling it from a sump alongside with drains feeding it. I can then pump it over the bank. Because my rainfall is not guaranteed I was intending on my calculations, of having the banks 3m high by 3m wide at the top. This should give me approx. 3.5 metres after needing .5m soil removed from floor. Ie. Planning on 3.3m(11') water. I hear you all say gooooo longer. I actually have a natural lake that I deepened to 4.5m not far away and it is holding well, I have this stocked with fish. So I have had a small trial run. It's only about 2Ha (5acres) and round,due to native vegetation I couldn't make it any bigger. I wasn't intending on putting in turning islands and a slope of something like 1 in 2.5/3 on the inside bank, is this enough slope?

east tx skier
04-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Is that grass/weeds by 2 ball??

Lily pads. We used to have to harvest them before sets. On the upside, it was right off of our dock and nobody messed with it.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-DuarC9siiVo/S3rB_ezBlZI/AAAAAAAACtE/0yqHlyZxjZk/s593/Buzzard%2520Buoy%2520MC%2520Picture%2520%2528Web%2 529.jpg

east tx skier
04-27-2012, 02:40 PM
I have been skiing on a friends lake nearby that is only 320m by 50m with a 2/3 course and it is really quite tight but adequate. I don't have length constraints, maybe I can look at this a little more. Now is the time to change it! I have an extremely wet property and plan on filling it from a sump alongside with drains feeding it. I can then pump it over the bank. Because my rainfall is not guaranteed I was intending on my calculations, of having the banks 3m high by 3m wide at the top. This should give me approx. 3.5 metres after needing .5m soil removed from floor. Ie. Planning on 3.3m(11') water. I hear you all say gooooo longer. I actually have a natural lake that I deepened to 4.5m not far away and it is holding well, I have this stocked with fish. So I have had a small trial run. It's only about 2Ha (5acres) and round,due to native vegetation I couldn't make it any bigger. I wasn't intending on putting in turning islands and a slope of something like 1 in 2.5/3 on the inside bank, is this enough slope?

If you don't have length constraints, go 2,400'. Put in a full course complete with 55m buoys. It's more work and requires more water to fill, but anything worth doing is worth overdoing. But even so, I would narrow the lake a bit. 175'--225' is plenty wide. Making it narrower helps with preventing the wind from making the rollers ridiculous.

Also, you want a graded slope up to the banks so that the boat wakes can dissipate easily. Start off with a 10:1 slope at the shoreline. After a bit of distance, you can increase the slope to 3:1 so it is not too shallow where people are skiing.

Also, before you start, consider where the prevailing winds are and how that will affect things. After that, consider where the sun will be in relation to the course at dawn and sunset. If you orient it east/west, during early and later hours, it may be unskiable going in one direction.

There's lots of info out there on the interwebs on building ski lakes. Give it a good read and plan carefully so, in the end, you don't wish you had done something differently.

jamisonsbrodie
04-27-2012, 02:54 PM
The Tournament lakes around here are all 1900-2100, which seems perfect to me. 2000 is ideal for slalom IMO. You don't want it too long, otherwise wind will affect it more. Width should be 225- 300, otherwise you won't be able to get the proper slope, and on the ends, you need 275+ to turn around properly without having to crank it too hard, as well as having the proper slope there as well. Depth depends on your needs. If it is just for slalom, than 8 feet is plenty in the middle and 5-6 feet at the turn bouys, but if you plan to stock it with fish and/or wakeboard you will need 10-11 feet. Turn-around islands are a must if you want to do it right, otherwise you will get rollers down the course. They do add a bit of work and cost, as you need to riprap them with rock. When it comes to slope, the gentler the better at the edge, whereas it can be steeper out further.

east tx skier
04-27-2012, 03:07 PM
The Tournament lakes around here are all 1900-2100, which seems perfect to me. 2000 is ideal IMO. You don't want it too long, otherwise wind will affect it more. Depth depends on your needs. If it is just for slalom, than 8 feet is plenty in the middle and 5-6 feet at the turn bouys, but if you plan to stock it with fish and/or wakeboard you will need 10-11 feet. Turn-around islands are a must if you want to do it right, otherwise you will get rollers down the course. They do add a bit of work and cost, as you need to riprap them with rock. When it comes to slope, the gentler the better at the edge, whereas it can be steeper out further.

I was in the process of adding a lot to my post above after you responded, but the way I understand it, width is going to have more of an effect on how much damage wind can do with rollers than length. 2,000' is fine, but I know people with 2,000' lakes that wish they had more room to get up and running. Of course, make it too long and you are burning more gas per set. With 2,000' and 55m buoys, you have 393' on either side to get up and running. It's enough, but in a perfect world, I'd love another 100 feet or so on each side.

Unless you are doing turn-arounds at the end of the course, I still think turn islands are more trouble than they're worth. It's easier to just not do down and backs or turn-arounds, but rather, drop at each end. That's just me. Dropping is my preference anyway.

As for depth, if drought is possible, go deep out to the balls. We had a horrible drought here last summer, but a local ski school kept skiing because his lake was cut 12' deep out to the turn balls. If you are on a well or a spring, you can afford to go shallower. But with shallower water comes the ability for sunlight to reach the bottom, making vegetation more likely. Lots of trade offs there.

east tx skier
04-27-2012, 03:14 PM
A private ski lake, the dream of most on here.......:D

Given all the money in the world and a team of people to maintain it for me, yes. Without that, no thanks. I'll pay dues. :)

J NORRIS
04-27-2012, 03:19 PM
This may help you, numbers are in feet. I see you want it 11 feet deep in the middle, then change the numbers on the bottom row to reflect your depths.

east tx skier
04-27-2012, 03:23 PM
That's great! I looked high and low for that diagram and couldn't find it.

jamisonsbrodie
04-27-2012, 03:24 PM
I was in the process of adding a lot to my post above after you responded, but the way I understand it, width is going to have more of an effect on how much damage wind can do with rollers than length. 2,000' is fine, but I know people with 2,000' lakes that wish they had more room to get up and running. Of course, make it too long and you are burning more gas per set. With 2,000' and 55m buoys, you have 393' on either side to get up and running. It's enough, but in a perfect world, I'd love another 100 feet or so on each side.

Unless you are doing turn-arounds at the end of the course, I still think turn islands are more trouble than they're worth. It's easier to just not do down and backs or turn-arounds, but rather, drop at each end. That's just me. Dropping is my preference anyway. As for depth, if drought is possible, go deep out to the balls. We had a horrible drought here last summer, but a local ski school kept skiing because his lake was cut 12' deep out to the turn balls. If you are on a well or a spring, you can afford to go shallower. But with shallower water comes the ability for sunlight to reach the bottom, making vegetation more likely. Lots of trade offs there.

225-250 is ideal through the center of the course, but needs to be wider on the ends to get the proper slope and turning radius regardless of island or not. The turn island helps with not only the continuous turn-arounds, but also when you drop, because you take off heading away from the course and go around the island before you head down course, which eliminates the possibility of bow rollers (which are ever so present in MC's. ETS, you don't have to worry about bow rollers because fortunately your current boat doesn't have them). FWIW, I too prefer to drop and do so 99.9% of the time

Also, The deeper you go out to the balls, the wider the lake has to be to get the proper slope.

The biggest tournament lake around here is 300 by 2200 with no turn islands and it gets blown out alot. It sits right next to one that is 225 down the center, 300 on the ends (with turn islands) and 2000 feet long and it gets much more use.

J NORRIS
04-27-2012, 03:41 PM
ETS, your normally quick on the trigger. Can't hardly believe I beat you to it.:D

jamisonsbrodie
04-27-2012, 03:51 PM
This may help you, numbers are in feet. I see you want it 11 feet deep in the middle, then change the numbers on the bottom row to reflect your depths.

Nice find. Based on that design, the minimum width from waterline to water line would be 219 feet assuming the depth turns up 10 feet outside the bouy line. (56+6+10+75(course)+10+6+56=219)

Man, I am not getting anything done today :)

EDIT: We all need to go skiing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

east tx skier
04-27-2012, 04:13 PM
1 hour, 47 minutes until I do. My boat is parked outside the office.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ydnAq6vlnUQ/T5r9aVf9LlI/AAAAAAAAFLo/loECmdqn0us/s800/IMAG0263-1.jpg

east tx skier
04-27-2012, 04:16 PM
225-250 is ideal through the center of the course, but needs to be wider on the ends to get the proper slope and turning radius regardless of island or not. The turn island helps with not only the continuous turn-arounds, but also when you drop, because you take off heading away from the course and go around the island before you head down course, which eliminates the possibility of bow rollers (which are ever so present in MC's. ETS, you don't have to worry about bow rollers because fortunately your current boat doesn't have them). FWIW, I too prefer to drop and do so 99.9% of the time

Also, The deeper you go out to the balls, the wider the lake has to be to get the proper slope.

The biggest tournament lake around here is 300 by 2200 with no turn islands and it gets blown out a lot. It sits right next to one that is 225 down the center, 300 on the ends (with turn islands) and 2000 feet long and it gets much more use.

I assumed a barbell shape. Make it longer and no need to start off in a turn. :)

Good point about deep out to the balls requiring more width for a good slope.

I still say go long and plant lots of trees to deal with the wind.

jamisonsbrodie
04-27-2012, 04:28 PM
1 hour, 47 minutes until I do. My boat is parked outside the office.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ydnAq6vlnUQ/T5r9aVf9LlI/AAAAAAAAFLo/loECmdqn0us/s800/IMAG0263-1.jpg

I am jealous! High tomorrow here is 48 and rain. 60 on Sunday, but we have my daughters b-day party. It may be next weekend before I get to actually chase some bouys! :mad:

east tx skier
04-27-2012, 04:31 PM
It's a little windy here today. High of 87. So not ideal as the wind goes. Our lake isn't a private one per say, but it's as private as a public lake can be. Our club has exclusive skiing rights. So other than a couple of fishermen, we have it to ourselves. It's not a barbell shape either, so rollers can happen if the wind picks up. I just measured it on google maps and it looks like the area we use is right about 2,100'. So I stand by my make it longer comments. On this lake, I barely have enough time to fix my shorts and smile for the camera. ;)

Hammer
04-27-2012, 05:30 PM
It's a little windy here today. High of 87. So not ideal as the wind goes. Our lake isn't a private one per say, but it's as private as a public lake can be. Our club has exclusive skiing rights. So other than a couple of fishermen, we have it to ourselves. It's not a barbell shape either, so rollers can happen if the wind picks up. I just measured it on google maps and it looks like the area we use is right about 2,100'. So I stand by my make it longer. On this lake, I barely have enough time to fix my shorts and smile for the camera. ;)

Our lake is just under 2,100 feet. Set up is quick, but managable. I sure wouldn't want any shorter. Maybe if it was an 8 ball course but still.

east tx skier
04-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Our lake is just under 2,100 feet. Set up is quick, but managable. I sure wouldn't want any shorter. Maybe if it was an 8 ball course but still.

I have skied on a friends course that is on an approximately 1,600' lake. There is no room for a turn-around start at one end. So when you get up, you have to be pulling out immediately. It's a bit intense to say the least.

petermegan
04-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Wow, You guys didn't respond any where near as quickly when I asked a vinyl/carpet question :D

Thanks for all your advice, it is much appreciated. I can narrow a touch by the sounds of it, but I am worried if I make the lake longer (larger holding capacity) in dryer years with less or no runoff, I may not be able to get enough water in it to ski. It is a conundrum in that in a wet year I need to get rid of the water from my farming land and as far as efficiency of dam building goes a square or circle is far more efficient for earthworks. The longer and narrower I make it the more earth to shift for the same amount of storage.

The good news is that if I make it too short I can always extend, but I need to get the width spot on to start with. The gradient for bank info is excellent thankyou. I am a little worried I may not be able to achieve the 10:1 gradient as the bank will end up too wide at the base. I wonder whether those calculations may have been for a lake completely in the ground not with banks built up? I think we will peg out a longer length and see how we go shifting the clay. On my previous calculations it was going to need approx. 25-30cubic yards per yard of bank. This equates to 33000 cubic yards of soil after we get rid of the topsoil (scraper holds 15yards) This is also a compacted measure, so I have to be careful here. Ie. it holds 15yds of fluffed up soil not compacted in the bank. 1100yards bank * 30 = 33000 cubic yards or 2200 scraper loads.

So who is still with me??????

Hammer
04-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Wow, You guys didn't respond any where near as quickly when I asked a vinyl/carpet question :D

Thanks for all your advice, it is much appreciated. I can narrow a touch by the sounds of it, but I am worried if I make the lake longer (larger holding capacity) in dryer years with less or no runoff, I may not be able to get enough water in it to ski. It is a conundrum in that in a wet year I need to get rid of the water from my farming land and as far as efficiency of dam building goes a square or circle is far more efficient for earthworks. The longer and narrower I make it the more earth to shift for the same amount of storage.

The good news is that if I make it too short I can always extend, but I need to get the width spot on to start with. The gradient for bank info is excellent thankyou. I am a little worried I may not be able to achieve the 10:1 gradient as the bank will end up too wide at the base. I wonder whether those calculations may have been for a lake completely in the ground not with banks built up? I think we will peg out a longer length and see how we go shifting the clay. On my previous calculations it was going to need approx. 25-30cubic yards per yard of bank. This equates to 33000 cubic yards of soil after we get rid of the topsoil (scraper holds 15yards) This is also a compacted measure, so I have to be careful here. Ie. it holds 15yds of fluffed up soil not compacted in the bank. 1100yards bank * 30 = 33000 cubic yards or 2200 scraper loads.

So who is still with me??????

I'd guess you will need closer to 2500 loads after compaction.

ahhudgins
04-27-2012, 07:59 PM
I’m assuming that there’s going to be an “Open House” invite to all TT members when it’s completed?:D

petermegan
04-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Of course hudgins, of course. I will try and remember to give you a personal invite. If any TT members are looking for a ski in Southern Australia give me a call. Happy to give a tow at our local lake and a bit of a sightsee if you are touring from O/S.

petermegan
04-27-2012, 09:44 PM
I gave a fair bit of thought to orientation and came up with (Southern Hemisphere don't forget) approx. a 10-15 degree rotation anticlockwise form North-South. ie.NNW to SSE if that makes sense. My prevailing winds come from either the West or South and that will avoid the sun in the eyes issue. I probably should point out that I am not a die hard slalom course addict and when I am fit can make it through a course just. My kids are 7 and 9 and if I was ever going to undertake something like this now was the time. Being well aware of the issue of going too wide for wind affect, I thought novices on the lake may want to wakeboard, kneeboard or even a tube on a short rope. We will also stock with fish, which I think helps in overall ecology and cleanliness of the lake. Keep the ideas coming, I am learning heaps.

east tx skier
04-27-2012, 10:36 PM
If you can get them, grass carp will keep the lake free of vegetation. But if you don't need them, don't bother. The get absolutely huge. Remorseless eating machines they are.

CruisinGA
04-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Remorseless eating machines they are.

Truth you speak, Yoda. ;)

east tx skier
04-28-2012, 12:13 AM
"All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless."

http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/baby-yoda-20110710-124621.jpg

petermegan
04-28-2012, 12:45 AM
We are not allowed to release Carp anywhere here in OZ. I did stock my other lake with Silver Perch and Australian Bass and they keep it somewhat clean. Nothing like Carp will though. Only benefit is they are excellent eating fish. Gives you something to do on the crappy days, go fishing!

Kyle
04-28-2012, 01:42 AM
I still say go long and plant lots of trees to deal with the wind.

ETS, by the time it takes for the trees to grow big enough to block wind his grand kids will be skiing and we all will be in nursing homes. :)

petermegan
04-28-2012, 02:26 AM
I will need a concrete slab so my rocking chair doesn't sink in the mud heh!:rolleyes:

Hammer
04-28-2012, 07:48 AM
ETS, by the time it takes for the trees to grow big enough to block wind his grand kids will be skiing and we all will be in nursing homes. :)

I'm sure in his climate he can find some fast growing trees to take advantage of pretty quick. Such as the Leyland Cypress. Taken from http://www.savatree.com/leyland-cypress.html - The Leyland Cypress tree is a stately, pyramid-shaped evergreen. It has a rapid growth rate (3 feet or more per year) and dense structure, making it ideal for use in privacy screens, windbreaks and hedges, and is used for Christmas tree production in some parts of the country

petermegan
04-28-2012, 07:57 AM
eucalypts (gum trees) grow fairly quickly as well as wattles. My friend has a lake and has trees 15-20' after 6 years or so.

Iskidaily
04-28-2012, 09:16 AM
I was thinking about some logistics. You guys will have more thoughts. The trees are a must for wind, erosion and shade. Where to put the ramp? Deeper at the ends to avoid churning the bottom on turns and starts? Vegetation by the shore can help with rollers and defend against erosion. Look for marginal plants that grow well with "wet feet". I learned that mint is really happy by the edge of a pond, and is excellent for Mojitos too.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-28-2012, 09:40 AM
If you can get them, grass carp will keep the lake free of vegetation. But if you don't need them, don't bother. The get absolutely huge. Remorseless eating machines they are.

Sound like teenage sons:rolleyes::D:D

petermegan
08-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Just letting you guys know I haven't given up on my lake. It touched freezing here a couple of times in the last few weeks. Had about 3 inches of rain over the last month and I am envious of you guys in the middle of your ski season. cheers:)

madcityskier
08-04-2012, 10:55 AM
As far as the trees go, we planted some type of hybrid poplar about two years ago and they are about 15 ft now. The catch is that they are fairly narrow so you need a lot of them.

DooSPX
08-04-2012, 12:46 PM
good luck, I will be watching this closely!

Ben
08-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Did you start digging?

petermegan
08-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Only got to remove the majority of the topsoil before it got too wet, we are carting it some distance to fully utilise it so not much to look at yet. Looking at eucalypts and wattles around the outside at this stage. Poplars don't like my crappy heavy clay highly saline soil here. Wondering what your thoughts are about planting trees on the bank or whether they need to be outside the dam. Worried about the roots intruding and upsetting the integrity of the bank?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
11-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Any updates on your private ski lake?

petermegan
11-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Still a bit damp over hear but drying out quick. I will be back into about Christmas time I reckon. My scraper is a touch heavy, approx. 45t when full of wet clay. Makes big marks:D
Glad to see someone is pushing me to make some progress.

AZX45OD
11-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Eucalyptus grows fast. FWIW.

mustangtexas
11-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Never plant trees on a dam. When they die or a root dies it will leave passages for water to pass. Here in Texas when we build stock tanks on the ranch the soil conservation district will not allow anything other than grass on a dam.

petermegan
11-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Never plant trees on a dam. When they die or a root dies it will leave passages for water to pass. Here in Texas when we build stock tanks on the ranch the soil conservation district will not allow anything other than grass on a dam.

Thanks Mustang, Good advice. I am nowhere near the tree planting stage yet :) I am a farmer here in OZ. PM me some photos, like to hear more about farming over there. Cheers:D

rodltg2
11-20-2012, 04:28 PM
If its strictly a 3 event lake , I would copy this one if possible. 2150ft long and off set islands that set you up perfectly for the course. Its pretty much perfect .

If am ever lucky enough to take this on, I would go longer for wakeboarding, barefooting and goofing around.

ttu
11-20-2012, 04:39 PM
here is coyote ski club in owasso. the lake on the right is called suicide lake! perfect design for those windy days

rodltg2
11-20-2012, 04:55 PM
I guess if you live in tornando alley that would come in handy! Here in Cali, trees do the trick :D

Sodar
11-20-2012, 05:00 PM
If its strictly a 3 event lake , I would copy this one if possible. 2150ft long and off set islands that set you up perfectly for the course. Its pretty much perfect .

If am ever lucky enough to take this on, I would go longer for wakeboarding, barefooting and goofing around.

Where does the course run? Seems like with the offset islands that you would only be lined up to the course every other pass.

Shooter McKevin
11-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Peter,

We need to see more photos of your scraper(s) in action!! And a good view of your site, and anything else you want to share. Make it a full on 'build thread'. Many of us are fully intrigued!!

Kevin

SkiDog
11-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Where does the course run? Seems like with the offset islands that you would only be lined up to the course every other pass.

It will work both ways. Study it.

rodltg2
11-20-2012, 06:47 PM

You make a right hand turn around the island on both ends. The blue line is going from N to S and red line S to N. It words whether you drop on each end or spin.

Latin Flyer
11-20-2012, 07:27 PM
here is coyote ski club in owasso. the lake on the right is called suicide lake! perfect design for those windy days

I dont understand the lake on the right

ttu
11-20-2012, 07:34 PM
I dont understand the lake on the right

the fingers are on the opposite end of the slalom bouys. they help with the wind. they are each approx 3-4 feet high.

and rod, i would expect that out of you!:D

Ben
11-20-2012, 07:43 PM
You make a right hand turn around the island on both ends. The blue line is going from N to S and red line S to N. It words whether you drop on each end or spin.

Do you guys dye the water or something?

Latin Flyer
11-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Thanks TTU. Never seen something like that before.

blackTT
11-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Cheak out stones parks setup at port Macquarie in NSW, there back lake is almost perfect

Point the jump the direction you get the most head winds from... Of your going to jump..

ttu
11-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Thanks TTU. Never seen something like that before.

i don't know if this type of lake had ever did the burns before but hence why it's called suicide lake. nobody would do it till the owner did first!

petermegan
11-21-2012, 03:55 AM
Cheak out stones parks setup at port Macquarie in NSW, there back lake is almost perfect

Point the jump the direction you get the most head winds from... Of your going to jump..

Hi Blacky, Just wondering whether you can send a google earth placemark please. (hmm not sure how to do that myself, but you'll manage :) ) No I don't intend to have a jump, probably just a shortened course. Cheers,Peter.

gotta_ski
11-21-2012, 04:38 PM
If you search on google for "stones park, port macquarie, NSW" it will take you right to it. Its a sweet setup from the satellite images. Two lakes perpendicular to each other and what looks like a channel under the road to boat from one to the other if the wind shifts.

rodltg2
11-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Do you guys dye the water or something?

It's not my lake , but I do believe they die it. Alot of people do using aqua shade.

dfmaus
11-22-2012, 04:29 AM
If you're still looking for a windbreak that grows fast and can handle poor soil, these are very popular in north carolina here in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyland_Cypress

petermegan
04-03-2013, 03:18 AM
Hi, Just thought I would report in to let you know I haven't given up on my lake, just been waiting for a contractor and the right weather. 450m*100m*3.75m deep. The Carry buckets are cheaper than running my own scraper so the contractors get the work :(

Ironhorse
04-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the update. I love this thread!

SkiMor
04-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Thanks for keeping us up to date. Good Luck, I'ts going to be awesome. :)

Theclarks1111
04-03-2013, 07:46 PM
I can't wait to see how this turns out!

Barefooter92
04-03-2013, 09:40 PM
don't forget the islands at the turns. Helps keep the wake down when you go back for a second pass. This is awesome! Only one here is from a borrow pond near the interstate overpass. Skied it once and it was cool. He has since added an island about 15 years later.

petermegan
04-04-2013, 02:18 AM
they will be half way tomorrow night. If they keep going at this rate it should be 6 days for two machines and approximately 33000 tonnes shifted :) Just have to pull my finger out with our scraper and dig some more drainage and organize a pump.

Mark rsa2au
04-04-2013, 04:09 AM
Gidday Mate,

That looks brilliant! was on the Murray River in Echuka over easter and was just wishing I had access to a nice stretch of water! Just back from a business trip to Adelaide and a quick trip the Murray Bridge to check it out looking for that perfect ski spot..... and then I see you building your own. NICE!!

If you plan to hold a ceremonial lake opening let us know, will bring the X5, family and a slab or two to celebrate!!

PS where in SA are you? might be a long drive from Melbourne...

petermegan
04-04-2013, 05:20 AM
Hi Mark, I am close to Naracoorte, so am just over half way between Adelaide and Melbourne. We have been up North of Murray Bridge skiing this year. I will try and remember to give you an invite when we crank up the lake. Do you ever drive to Adelaide or always fly?
Hope I get a reasonably wet Winter or it will be a non event :)

Mark rsa2au
04-05-2013, 05:52 AM
Naracoorte! A little piece of paradise with a handfull of world class wine farms arround you!!! Know it & love it! Sometimes I fly to Adelaide, and when I need to see customers in Mt Gambier / Bordertown I drive through with a short stop to pick up some wine!

Also need a wet winter in Vic to fill Lake Eildon as well! Happy building!!

petermegan
04-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Just thought I would check in again. Dam is all but finished, about 3 hours to go in the morning. Ended up being 12'6" deep (to top of bank) probably about 11' of water. I have a sump dug on the outside on the Southern end to pump out of and we are lasering some drains with our scraper tomorrow. On the search for a pump now. Looking at either the self priming type flood pump in 8" or a propellor type pump. Thinking of running an electric motor on it as I can use a large generator for other things on my property. That way I haven't got a 40hp diesel engine sitting there doing nothing for 11.1/2 months of the year, no battery or radiator to maintain.

milkmania
04-10-2013, 11:40 AM
here's a buddy's place we get out to once in a while....
googlemaps winter pics:rolleyes:

AussieMC
04-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Hi, Just thought I would report in to let you know I haven't given up on my lake, just been waiting for a contractor and the right weather. 450m*100m*3.75m deep. The Carry buckets are cheaper than running my own scraper so the contractors get the work :(

Hi Peter,
I'm not sure what your intend to use the lake for, but as "Eastie" mentioned back early in this thread, 450m is too short for a slalom lake. The course with 55m pre gates is 369m that only leaves you 40.5m from either end for run in to course, (if skier is hard against the bank less say 14m rope = 26.5m run in from boat pylon).
Even with a 8 Buoy overlapping course, it still wouldn't be long enough.
I may be way out of line with advice, I'd just hate to see you waste time & money, and not get your desired lake.

mikeg205
04-11-2013, 06:44 PM
here's a buddy's place we get out to once in a while....
googlemaps winter pics:rolleyes:

now that's livin'... :)

petermegan
04-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Hi Peter,
I'm not sure what your intend to use the lake for, but as "Eastie" mentioned back early in this thread, 450m is too short for a slalom lake. The course with 55m pre gates is 369m that only leaves you 40.5m from either end for run in to course, (if skier is hard against the bank less say 14m rope = 26.5m run in from boat pylon).
Even with a 8 Buoy overlapping course, it still wouldn't be long enough.
I may be way out of line with advice, I'd just hate to see you waste time & money, and not get your desired lake.

I actually am not intending to put in a course first up. I have a young family and wife that are enjoying the free skiing, tubing and wakeboarding. We also entertain a lot and teach a lot of people watersports for the first time. A good friend of mine has a dam which is 320m by 60m with a shortened course (gates and 4 bouys) and it is quite usable. It is enough for you to get some practise through a course. The dam has worked out so cheap I do wish I had stretched it another 80m already :), but this can be done with my own machine later if I am that determined. Probably important to note that this dam will drain water off of my property as a first priority, have some fish and yabbies, be used as a ski lake (our local lake is now too shallow)and at the end of the season I hope to use it for a starter irrigation over 80ha, so it is not a dedicated slalom skiers retreat. Have fun

petermegan
07-07-2013, 05:58 AM
Just for those of you that are interested, a short video of carry graders and our scraper working. The dam is all finished, just waiting to mount up the pump. Need a little more rain and we will be away pumping :) http://youtu.be/qMqj-zU-Neg

Mark rsa2au
07-07-2013, 06:19 AM
Very Cool!!!

Just add water!!!

petermegan
07-07-2013, 07:31 AM
Hey Mark, I will give you a call about the opening. If I get to fill it. No need to bring your boat just the slab. Cheers,Peter.

Shooter McKevin
07-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Looking good! Thanks for sharing the video Peter.

petermegan
07-30-2013, 04:59 AM
Just a ski lake update. I have somewhere about 7 feet in it at the moment and another 4 to go. Rain has slowed up a bit so have had to slow the pump down. Going to use approx. 1000 Litres of diesel to fill (250US Gal) if I keep going at this rate. Have Fun........

Double D
07-30-2013, 08:17 AM
Just a ski lake update. I have somewhere about 7 feet in it at the moment and another 4 to go. Rain has slowed up a bit so have had to slow the pump down. Going to use approx. 1000 Litres of diesel to fill (250US Gal) if I keep going at this rate. Have Fun........

Have fun?? Your the only one going to have fun!! Lucky you!! At 7 feet I would out there already!!

east tx skier
07-30-2013, 09:56 AM
That's awesome! More pictures when you can!

thatsmrmastercraft
07-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Very impressive undertaking!

Video of man made Lake Delton (WI Dells, WI) when the earthen dam built in 1927 let loose and drained the lake in 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OflIsb0He4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Delton

Mark rsa2au
07-31-2013, 07:38 AM
Mate! That's looking good!!! I thought I had a big fuel bill but that much diesel is serious. Will do a rain dance for you...

CantRepeat
07-31-2013, 08:11 AM
Very impressive undertaking!

Video of man made Lake Delton (WI Dells, WI) when the earthen dam built in 1927 let loose and drained the lake in 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OflIsb0He4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Delton

Brings a whole new meaning to "house boat"!!

atlfootr
07-31-2013, 08:16 AM
Keep posting!

Traxx822
07-31-2013, 10:39 AM
Fun thread, Dropping a comment to subscribe, to see if more develops.

Quick
08-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Have you taken a run on this yet? Any new pics? Very cool project.

mikeg205
08-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Hey Peter - now you must add a new Prostar - just sayin...

petermegan
09-04-2013, 12:38 AM
Sorry guys, I know it is a long time between progress photos, I have just been busy. Here is a recent update of it full (might fit another 6" yet). Will take some more photos of pump, sump, sidewalls and surrounding land when I get a moment. Have fun....

thatsmrmastercraft
09-04-2013, 01:17 AM
Sorry guys, I know it is a long time between progress photos, I have just been busy. Here is a recent update of it full (might fit another 6" yet). Will take some more photos of pump, sump, sidewalls and surrounding land when I get a moment. Have fun....
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=100611&stc=1&d=1378269468

:woohoo::woohoo:

Quick
09-04-2013, 08:00 AM

Jealous!!!!

skps190
09-04-2013, 09:43 AM
^ x 2

CBRENT
09-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Wow, Wow, Wow.

east tx skier
09-04-2013, 09:56 AM
and another WOW!

McDye
09-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Holy shipz!..NICE..

46Chief
09-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Holy Chrysler! what a site to behold.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=100611&stc=1&d=1378269468

Skir68
09-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Did anyone say WOW yet? SAWEET!

Ben
09-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Hopefully you get some tall trees around that to stop all that wind.... If I even get to aus, I need to find a way to stop by your place.

petermegan
09-05-2013, 06:15 AM
Had a couple of light planes flying around my lake yesterday, I think it is a bit of a talking point with the locals. I am starting to think I should have got the appropriate permits for this thing!! I am working on the principle that it is easier to ask forgiveness than seek permission?? If I don't get to post much more it is because I am in jail :) Thanks for all the kind words fellas. Have Fun

atlfootr
09-05-2013, 08:07 AM
We're all waiting for a personal invitation, would love to foot on that!

Double D
09-05-2013, 08:08 AM
Had a couple of light planes flying around my lake yesterday, I think it is a bit of a talking point with the locals. I am starting to think I should have got the appropriate permits for this thing!! I am working on the principle that it is easier to ask forgiveness than seek permission?? If I don't get to post much more it is because I am in jail :) Thanks for all the kind words fellas. Have Fun

You did all that work with no permits? no one has bothered you before now? Hmmmmm....... Good Luck!!

wakeX2wake
09-05-2013, 09:04 AM
i have never been more jealous of anything in my entire life.

hondaprlud
09-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Wow, good for you. Enjoy it!

mikeg205
09-05-2013, 10:12 AM
"Pond of Dreams" --- "If you build it they will come...." Ease his pain..."

I can see it now... a movie of deceased water skiers emerging from the outback - doin' a walk about the new lake... ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ay5GqJwHF8 - it's perfect - you bein' a farmer and all. ;)

46Chief
09-05-2013, 12:14 PM
No permits? You sir are my hero.

CC2MC
09-05-2013, 12:22 PM
I would just settle to live on a lake, but that would just be awesome! Well done.

bobx1
09-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Had a couple of light planes flying around my lake yesterday, I think it is a bit of a talking point with the locals....

If they were Seaplanes, maybe they were looking for a place to land. There is an idea, charge a landing/take-off fee.

Forrest-X45
09-05-2013, 04:37 PM
To have my personal lake.....I can only dream. Well done!!

Aric'sX15
09-05-2013, 05:28 PM
holy crap......... dont meen to be nosy, but how much would something like that set you back???

thatsmrmastercraft
09-05-2013, 05:33 PM
holy crap......... dont meen to be nosy, but how much would something like that set you back???

:eek:

Aric'sX15
09-05-2013, 05:40 PM
i had to go there... haha

petermegan
09-05-2013, 05:51 PM

Sure, I don't mind sharing, it might help others to get into it. The basic earthworks were $40k, pump and motor $10k, Diesel to fill $1k. Spent another $5k on drainage on my property. Really lucky to chance it with a wet Winter here and filled it straight up. For me being on farming land I have probably recouped $25k in extra production from my land this year so it is somewhere near half paid for in my mind.(I am telling myself this anyway??)

Aric'sX15
09-05-2013, 05:52 PM
thats way cheaper than i ever would have thought!

petermegan
09-05-2013, 06:02 PM
No permits? You sir are my hero.

I did a lot of research and the regulations don't adequately cover this sort of project. If I went about asking the questions about whether you can build a Dam of this size they would have said no permits to be issued for Dams of this size. If I had mentioned to the authorities that be, about filling it with water and irrigating out of it, I would have got a similar approach. Govt. bodies are really stretched for resources here and I am 40kms (25miles)from the nearest Town and the Dam is not visible from the road. I am waiting for a Satellite photo to show it up and then I have to start answering questions. Just had to grow some Balls or it was never going to happen :)

Will be having an opening in about a Month. All invited!! And seriously if any of you guys are over here in OZ, give me a call.

Double D
09-05-2013, 07:32 PM
I did a lot of research and the regulations don't adequately cover this sort of project. If I went about asking the questions about whether you can build a Dam of this size they would have said no permits to be issued for Dams of this size. If I had mentioned to the authorities that be, about filling it with water and irrigating out of it, I would have got a similar approach. Govt. bodies are really stretched for resources here and I am 40kms (25miles)from the nearest Town and the Dam is not visible from the road. I am waiting for a Satellite photo to show it up and then I have to start answering questions. Just had to grow some Balls or it was never going to happen :)

Will be having an opening in about a Month. All invited!! And seriously if any of you guys are over here in OZ, give me a call.

Well, it will cost me $1,800 and 29 hours of travel over with 2 stops, and 22 hours of travel back with 2 stops. :mad:

psychobilly
09-07-2013, 01:54 AM
Double D I have been traveling back and forth over here for about 7 years now, working a 28/28 day rotation. It ain't that bad doing it for work. You can surely do it for fun :-)

I did a long one this time, 7 weeks and I'm ready to get home or it would be tempting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD