PDA

View Full Version : Water In my Cylinder

Super1990
04-27-2012, 01:58 AM
Just finished installing a new circulation pump as well as a new heater and both the thermostats on my 1998 Pro Star 205 LT1. When to do a test run and boat ran rough and then quit. Went to start again and it sounding like my starter was clunking so I dug a bit deeper and pulled the spark plugs and found water in my plug holes.

Any idea why this could of happened or did a blow a head gasket over the winter?

Could this happen if my thermostats were installed backwards?

Any help would be great.

petermegan
04-27-2012, 06:41 AM
How long did it run rough before it died. I would say you have a problem !!

CantRepeat
04-27-2012, 07:12 AM
Just finished installing a new circulation pump as well as a new heater and both the thermostats on my 1998 Pro Star 205 LT1. When to do a test run and boat ran rough and then quit. Went to start again and it sounding like my starter was clunking so I dug a bit deeper and pulled the spark plugs and found water in my plug holes.

Any idea why this could of happened or did a blow a head gasket over the winter?

Could this happen if my thermostats were installed backwards?

Any help would be great.

Where in the west are you? Did you winterize? What were the temps over the winter?

mikeg205
04-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Where in the west are you? Did you winterize? What were the temps over the winter?

+1 on that....

CantRepeat
04-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Just look at your profile, so you are in Edmonton AB, Canada.

I would assume it gets pretty darn cold up there.

If you didn't winterize or keep your boat in warm storage it might be worse then a head gasket.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Before you go any farther, you may have water in your oil pan. If so, you need to drain your oil ASAP. That water is bad for crank bearing material. Fill it with cheap oil until you get the problem worked out, as you may have to change it a time or two. When I was getting water in all the wrong places, it was a bad exhaust manifold.

Super1990
04-27-2012, 09:06 AM
This is the thing. I have no water in my oil pan. The only other thing I can think of is we had to drill out the plastic plugs on the manifold to winterize the boat and I am wondering if maybe we drilled through the liner inside the exhaust manifold.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Pull the plugs you drilled and try inserting a wire or blow compressed air and have someone listen at the exhaust tip.

Super1990
04-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Just checked today and there was a bit of water in the oil pan.

Kyle
04-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Before I did anything else on that boat, I would do a compression test with out the boat hooked to water and on the trailer. Yes we have water in cylinders yes there is a leak.

You drilled into the exhaust manifold and water may be entering through the exhaust valves. Also do a leak down test. if water is entering through the exhaust valves it could be possible to eventually seep into the oil pan. This test will eliminate cylinders off of your check list and also see if you have a possible bent valve since water does not compress real easily. If your compression test eliminates all 8 cylinders (you better hope so) then we can tear down the exhaust side. If you have multiple cylinders that leak down and have low compression..... Well you are going to be taking that engine apart.

A compression test will help you to your next step and give you clear numbers to a brain that is freaking out right now.

wtrskr
04-27-2012, 01:23 PM
This is the thing. I have no water in my oil pan. The only other thing I can think of is we had to drill out the plastic plugs on the manifold to winterize the boat and I am wondering if maybe we drilled through the liner inside the exhaust manifold.

I am trying to picture in my head where you had to drill. I wouldn't be freaking out yet, because I think there might be a good chance that punctured an area that allowed the water to get into the areas of the manifold where only the exhaust should go. That could definately cause water to into cylinders. The part about making it down to the oil pan I'm not as sure of.

Super1990
04-27-2012, 02:15 PM
Well that was the problem. We drilled through the drain plugs and into the manifold. Why they would use Plastic caps is beyond me.

Super1990
04-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Here are the Pics

Jerseydave
04-27-2012, 08:33 PM
I would think it takes some effort to drill through the cast iron water jacket of the manifolds without realizing it. You should do a compression test and then a leakdown test to see where the problem might be.

Do all 8 cylinders have water? Or is it just 4 cylinders on the same bank? The latter would indicate a problem with just that one exhaust manifold.

Did you pull the t-stats to make sure they were installed properly?

Also how did you run the engine, with a bucket method, fake a lake, real lake, etc? Perhaps your method put too much pressure on the cooling system forcing water past the exhaust valves.