PDA

View Full Version : '01 - '04 Vinyl Concerns

j.robinson389
04-26-2012, 12:45 PM
I hope the title doesn't scare too many away since I know that this has been heavily discussed on this forum, but I had a few questions from a new buyer's standpoint.

'01-'04 these are the years with the suspect vinyl correct? If not please correct me.

When looking at "new to me" boats that are within the models years mentioned above and the vinyl is original and not cracked, does this mean that the vinyl is actually ok, or was all vinyl used in those years no good at all and the only reason why the vinyl still looks good is because of the lack of use? Meaning when I get the boat and start using it am I going to see cracks right away most likely? Was the vinyl problems across the board or "hit and miss". I have seen some real nice '01 - '03 X30s that look real nice with no signs of bad vinyl so it makes me wonder??

Thanks for the help,
Jake

Cary K.
04-26-2012, 01:28 PM
I can't say it will happen to all of them, but most I have seen in this range had some problems. Having said that, it would not deter me from looking/owning any of these models. While factory skins are no longer available, you can get replacements from various sources, including your local shop, relatively inexpensive (at least compared to cost of boat).

My experience on 01 XStar. The only bad vinyl I really have had were the engine hatch pleats splitting terribly, and the seam at the piping in the rear seat bottom. I replaced with factory skins a few years later, and it did the same thing pretty quickly, both areas.

I realize the seat bottom takes much abuse from stepping on it, but I was meticulous about the engine hatch, and it still happened.

bzettler83
04-26-2012, 01:48 PM
I have an 03 X-30 and the vinyl is in absolutly amazing shape... I am sure it has something to do with use, the boat had 128hrs when I purchased it but still, its 8-9yrs old.

I purchased this vinyl conditioner online and spend a few hours coating the entire boat. It was this real thick gel that seemed to bring the bright white back to the boat. When I pring people out they are blown away how nice the interior is.

Ski-me
04-26-2012, 01:59 PM
I'd say 2000 also fits into this window (I've seen a 2000 205 have it) but I don't know how many years the issue was present. I would guess that it may not even get into 03' or 04' but I could be wrong.....:confused:

Cloaked
04-26-2012, 04:29 PM
I hope the title doesn't scare too many away since I know that this has been heavily discussed on this forum, but I had a few questions from a new buyer's standpoint.

'01-'04 these are the years with the suspect vinyl correct? If not please correct me.

When looking at "new to me" boats that are within the models years mentioned above and the vinyl is original and not cracked, does this mean that the vinyl is actually ok, or was all vinyl used in those years no good at all and the only reason why the vinyl still looks good is because of the lack of use? Meaning when I get the boat and start using it am I going to see cracks right away most likely? Was the vinyl problems across the board or "hit and miss". I have seen some real nice '01 - '03 X30s that look real nice with no signs of bad vinyl so it makes me wonder??

Thanks for the help,
Jake
From my experience and fooling with boats, this era was one of the better model eras of vinyl as long as it has been taken care. Any material can be less than desirable from lack of care. Typically, there are no blantent issues with this era, as far as I know, unlike others such as Magred that had some very crappy interior in a later model 209.

east tx skier
04-26-2012, 05:07 PM
My understanding of the issue is that it is not, by any means, brand specific. At some point in the late 90s, regulations on what materials could be used to make vinyl became more restrictive. As it was explained to me, the "new vinyl" didn't hold up as well. I'm not sure what they have done more recently, but there seem to be fewer complaints.

All of this is largely dependent on how the boat is cared for and stored.

jared205v
04-26-2012, 07:17 PM
my 205v is 11 years old and has no problems with vinyl, but is always under covers in garage when not in use

skijwr
04-26-2012, 11:41 PM
I have an 02 X7 that I bought a year ago. the vinyl shows some cracking but only at the stitching. its not enough for me to worry about.
and the cracking is not everywhere, just in the high traffic areas.
based on the appearance of the entire boat, it was always stored indoors when not in use.

seems like I read somewhere on here that the cracking had to do with the size of the needles (too large) used in stitching??? not sure...

Philscbx
05-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Any material can be less than desirable from lack of care.
/ unlike others such as Magred that had some very crappy interior in a later model 209.I have the 04-209 , this is start of second season, interior is just about done factory matched.
The 2 worst enemies, body oils - sun.
Plan is to make custom bath towels - with exposed oiled flesh - velcro secure.

New rules coming.
Bare feet are the worst when wet transferring oil/dirt to vinyl.
A small fastened towel on floor mat damp with rubbing alcohol will cure that,
twisting feet heavy on it.

sheckski
05-28-2012, 11:35 AM
I had a very bad experience with 2000 vinyl and the original factory replacement skins. My thread and resulting solution http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=45317

Russell
06-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Only problems is the stitching. Hardens and cracks. Do not use any cleaner with ammonia in it at all. Use bucket of babes cleaner, or 303 conditioner. As long as you keep them treated and conditioned they will not harden and crack. If you don't stay on it there is issues for sure.

CruisinGA
06-18-2012, 11:17 PM
'01 X9
Bought 3 years ago with 450 hours, now has 750.

We just had the rear seat bottom recovered, it split beginning of this spring.
There are a couple other minor issues, but not much. We use the boat a lot, keep it moderately clean and treat with 303 maybe once a month. Definitely not as neurotic as some on here.

IMO 11 years on original vinyl, just replacing one seat bottom and only minimal maintenance is pretty dang good. I wouldn't be surprised if we get another 2-3 seasons out before having the boat reupholstered.

If you are looking at a boat with original vinyl in good shape, and you put a little effort into maintaining it, I wouldn't sweat it.