PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Prostar - Opinions

novaman64
04-26-2012, 11:31 AM
So I used to have a 1997 Prostar 190, after a not so pretty break up a couple years ago, I am well boat-less.

Anywho, found what I think to be a deal on a 1988 Prostar 190. Engine was blown, the guy pulled it out, got a new one out of a van, and apparently just needs the manifolds and all lectrics bolted up, still has original engine as well. Looks liek its weather from sitting outside uncovered, but at $2700 its in my price range. Any opinions? Good deal?

Going from a 1997 to a 1988 Prostar 190, how much of a difference am I going to notice in towing? I normally wakeboard and barefoot behind it, with the occasional slalom run...

imjusthereforthefood
04-26-2012, 12:21 PM
if this is on CL, i saw it. i say go for it.

my 87 does wakeboarding, surfing, slalom, etc.

gweaver
04-26-2012, 12:32 PM
I think I recall seeing this one on CL. I think the big thing I would be concerned about is if the van motor will fit. I know the blocks are the same, but I'd just want to double-check that everything you need is there, that he didn't lose some small bracket from the original engine and now some critical part won't mount correctly.
Maybe when you go check it out, you can bring a buddy who's mechanically inclined. See exactly how much work remains, so you know exactly what you're getting in to. Same thing for the hull/interior.

Where in CA are you? I'm guessing SF Bay somewhere. I'm up in Petaluma, and I've got an 88 as well, if you'd like to use it as a reference.

G

novaman64
04-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Ya, its the CL one. I am up in Placerville, have family in the Bay Area (San Bruno). Grew up wrenching on motors and around boats, so not to concerned with that, just more or less I guess the performance difference and hull designs between the 97 and 88. As well as resale...

Are the 88's wood stringers or composite? If they are wood, are they prone to rotting out like the Supra's and alot of other ski boats from the same era?

The other boat I am currently considering is a 88 Ski Brendella...

mzimme
04-26-2012, 12:46 PM
The 88 should not have any wood in the boat. No worries of rot.

mikeg205
04-26-2012, 01:37 PM
unmarinized engine...keep it well vented...how much budget do you have for repairs..could be a real headache..

novaman64
04-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Im looking to be around 4-5k. Thats why I was also looking at a 88 Brendella. Found one with a tower, needs carpeting, but runs and is registered for $4500.. I figured by the time I got a tower and the Prostar up and runnign I would be around that same range.

gweaver
04-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Here's the Prostar History thread (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=29236&highlight=prostar+history). I read through this several times when I was looking for a boat. Ultimately tho it was price and condition (and the looks) that did it for me.

As far as resale, I think that's pretty up in the air. I paid 3500 for mine in fair shape. I've seen them priced around $6000 or a bit more for something really, really nice. I'm not too worried about resale tho, as I think that as long as I maintain it, if/when we upgrade to a bigger boat, I should be able to sell it for what I have in it.
I'll be honest and say I don't have much experience with my boat, but from what I know so far, I'm going to be really happy with it.
Looks like you're about 2 hours away (I'm in Petaluma). If you want to come down, we can take mine for a quick run on the river so you can get an idea of what the wake is like.
G

d2jp
04-26-2012, 05:28 PM
FWIW, I think for $1500 more you could find a boat that you can use now, and fix up as you go.

Jerseydave
04-26-2012, 10:47 PM
What's the hp of the van motor? It may be a bit less than the stock PCM Ford so barefooting might suffer slightly? You may have to rebuild it, bigger cam, etc.

Personally, a 91-94 that needs a motor would be a better buy if you could find one.

Cloaked
04-26-2012, 10:57 PM
. Engine was blown, the guy pulled it out, got a new one out of a van, and apparently just needs the manifolds and all lectrics bolted up, still has original engine as well. Looks liek its weather from sitting outside uncovered, but at $2700 its in my price range. Any opinions? Good deal?...Pass. More trouble than I (my $0.02) would be willing to deal with and not be able to enjoy the boat for it's pleasure value.

Like another poster said, put another $1,500 with that and find a good used boat. They are out there if you look with patience. The added $1,500 will be incurred in parts, trial-and-error fixes, and necessary replacements (including any potential wiring nightmare) in no time at all, especially trying to convert the marinization (federal laws and safety).

Pass on this one. It's someone else's problem that they want you to incur. A good deal to me does not include a headache or moneypit.

$0.02

gweaver
04-26-2012, 11:33 PM
I know it's a bit above your price range, but this is an 87-89 Prostar. Year in the ad is obviously wrong, but it looks to be in fair shape. Hours look pretty low. Maybe you can talk him down?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/2981559999.html

CA Skier- looks pretty well set up- shower, perfect pass, wake pole and other extras.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/2959611037.html

Good luck with your search!

G

Dawg 1
04-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Camshaft from van motor may have a different tork curve / power output may suffer.