PDA

View Full Version : thinking about buying 07 xstar

cwarndahl
04-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Hey guys
i ran across a 07 star with 189 hours on it. jl and wet sound everything top of the line, all the toys. attached are a couple pics. i have an 01 x-10 now. i get 18k trade in, an i talked about 45k for the boat, i guess with newer boats how are they to work on, did the 07 have any issues, anything you can tell me this is about double of what i have ever spent on a boat. it has the trailer bimini cover all that stuff. but man its allot of money and i can afford it but, I'm worried on part being more, not being able to do simple matinance ect ect. this may get moved sorry didn't know where to post this.
thanks in advance,

Scott
04-25-2012, 10:18 PM
If all is well, with it, thats a good price. Maint. wasnt bad on mine. it was an 06 with the mcx. Other maint. shouldnt be an issue.. If its in great shape, get it!!! provided you wakeboard..;)

cwarndahl
04-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Oh I do wakeboard! Allot of boat if I didn't, how's the ballast weight on yours? If I wanna try surfing am I gonna have to add bags?

Thrall
04-26-2012, 06:09 AM
My '06 and my '96 with the LT-1 are almost identical to maintain. Not much changed over the years mechanically except drive by wire.
Electrical system is incrementally larger, but nothing tricky. Stepper motor guages are a big upgrade from the old guages. 07 still has mechanical guages I believe.

willyt
04-26-2012, 07:53 AM
Watch out, you'll need tower braces on that boat

Scott
04-26-2012, 08:06 AM
you can surf with stock ballasts, but your going to be close to platform. Weight will be needed if you want to get the sweet spot, further back.

willyt
04-26-2012, 10:14 AM
If she is in good condition, 45 is a screaming deal for that boat.

sand2snow22
04-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Cat converters were a problem in 07. Overheating. Make sure this boat doesn't have this problem....

cwarndahl
04-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Braces for tower? I will check on cat converters, I saw a California emissions sticker on it. I will see the boat on Sunday I'll take some close ups of the tower.

willyt
04-26-2012, 03:55 PM
yes, they go from the top of the board racks to the outside speaker nub, designed to give the tower more rigidity. its about 450 bucks if MC wont warranty them (every tower that didnt come with these got warranty braces apparently, some dealers can still get you free braces).

honestly, if the boat is clean jump on it. I just bought an 07 in very, very good condition for considerably more, which is where i thought the market was on these boats. The only thing i would be extremely careful of is salt use, especially in texas. If you see rust on the motor mounts, trailer, brake calipers, or the motor is closed cooling those are all signs of salt. I don't see a flush kit on the back (standard on SS series) and its a non-glav trailer so you are probably dealing with a non-SS. if you do see signs of salt use on a non salt series, run.

Also check the front gullwing seats for cracks, xstars are famous for splitting the seats there

what engine?

willyt
04-26-2012, 04:02 PM
just fyi too, the xstar is not:
a good family boat
spacious for a 22 fter
a good surf boat
a good ski boat
fuel efficient

it is:
the best wakeboarding boat made in 07 IMO, and still probably the most BA looking.

Knowing this, i bought one. Not hating on my boat whatsoever, just need to realize this before looking at one. For me, i normally have 6+ people and all we do is wakeboard. xstar was a perfect fit.

93Prostar190
04-26-2012, 07:26 PM
just fyi too, the xstar is not:
a good family boat
spacious for a 22 fter
a good surf boat
a good ski boat
fuel efficient

it is:
the best wakeboarding boat made in 07 IMO, and still probably the most BA looking.

Knowing this, i bought one. Not hating on my boat whatsoever, just need to realize this before looking at one. For me, i normally have 6+ people and all we do is wakeboard. xstar was a perfect fit.

Well I guess we wont install rod holders on that thing ..... it is a sweet ride ... can't wait till you take me out in it.

Peace.

cwarndahl
04-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the advice I'll take pics of the tower on Sunday when I go look at it. It's got the max 350hp motor the red one I only got a few minutes to look at it. I'm gonna crawl all over it Sunday. Also mostly I wake board but wanted to try surfing, also It's me and the Guys no family. He is also holding sting at 50k. But there is a buyer for my boat if I jump on it. I just want to also make sure that it truly is what I think an x-star is which is the flag ship wake board boat in mc series, sorry after having a x-10 the after thought wake boat I now want the one that is yes it has it all boat.

cwarndahl
04-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Mcx motor the red one 350 hp didnt see a liter size on it only got 10 minutes to walk the boat, spent to much time going holy sh*t I can own this!

sand2snow22
04-26-2012, 10:02 PM
You'll want to drive it. Cat problems point to boat not getting up to operating temperature. If they have been overheated the paint on the exhaust manifolds won't be smooth anymore, they will look rough like spray in truck bed liner. Look very carefully for stress cracks/spider cracks ALL around the boat. They will most likely be around bow ladder, cleats, tower supports, gas caps, swim platform brackets and the underwater gear or any impact. If you see them around the underwater gear, then it most likely has been in a wreck and repaired. Look to see if the strut and rudder box caulking is original or newer! Tell tale sign...

Jerseydave
04-26-2012, 10:29 PM
'05 X-star owner here.....and very happy!

I have to say it is a decent family boat, we've had 11 on ours (6 adults, 5 kids) and it's fine.
The surf wake can be pretty good with proper weight and the wakeboard wake can be incredible with proper weight. I have the same engine (MCX) and have to say weight placement is key. Here's some suggestions:

Stock KGB plus (2) 400# sacs in rear, don't use the rear hard tanks (leave them empty)
If needed, try a 750# sac in the walkway so you still have all your storage under the front seats and the carpet will stay dry too.

Flyhigh also makes custom 720# sacs for the X-star rear lockers.

What prop does it have? I run an OJ 14.75 X 15.5 and I also have a 14.25 X 14.5 for really heavy loads but usually not needed so it's my spare prop.

For surfing, fill KGB and rear sac, put another 400# sac on the seat (surf side) and pile everyone on that side, some in the front for a longer wave.

Looks like a nice boat, I would have it checked out by a surveyor....it will give you more power to negotiate.

PS, leave your slalom ski at home.....you won't want to use it behind this boat. :D

cwarndahl
04-27-2012, 08:06 PM
so i go to the place where there selling the boat. we were talking 50k, and i was hoping for a little lower. finally get my head wrapped around 50k and now there telling me no, $56,500, so i told them I'm gonna have to wait. i will keep y'all posted to something comes up. I'm really sad now. what an upgrade from 01 x-10 to 07 x-star. but not today.:(

cwarndahl
04-29-2012, 09:23 PM

cwarndahl
04-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Okay there are some pics for the guys who know about the problems, let me know what you see

cwarndahl
04-29-2012, 09:25 PM
The one on the right is my boat and the one in the left is the one I would like to buy. They stop at nothing to get you interested.