PDA

View Full Version : Kick back protectors?? questions about them

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-16-2005, 07:22 PM
so when do you need to start using a kickback protector with your ski rope? at full lenght? or only when you get to a short length? if so, at which lenght??

and how do they work? Do you attach your rope to one end, and the other end goes on the pylon??

or does the rope go THROUGH the kickback protector? I would appreciate any info. thanks!!!

:)

UMP

MasterMason
08-16-2005, 07:46 PM
The rope goes through the shock tube and connects to the pylon, then the shock tube loops over the plyon. I use it whenever I tow anyone or anything from the ski pylon.

X2M
08-16-2005, 07:46 PM
Are you talking about a shock tube?

One of these?

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Check eBay I found one for $5 brand new plus shipping.

88 PS190
08-16-2005, 08:23 PM
they're very helpful for keeping the line from getting caught on the engine box when you are bringing the line back.

not to mention the recoil prevention

G-man
08-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Having received stiches just above my eyebrow from a handle coming into the boat I highly recommend them for anything you use a skirope on the pylon.

Hoosier Bob
08-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Any rope length will do. Teaching newbies (190 lbs+) I have seen the rope come dangerously close to the driver, besides it looks cool. The safety measure is not just for short line. The shock tube also looks good tucked in under the windshield when not in use. Make sure to match it to your trailer guides for that Metrosexual look! :twocents:
PS. The slalom rope offers a ton of stretch! Non-stretch lines do not rebound as much but are not for use with slalom.

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 09:06 PM
Make sure to match it to your trailer guides for that Metrosexual look! :twocents:

Watching HGTV again Bob? :D

08-16-2005, 09:21 PM
Make sure to match it to your trailer guides for that Metrosexual look! :twocents:

Hey now, cut that out!!! I'm into chicks only!!! :mad: my girlfriend teases me about being a "Metro" because I am so particular about details like that :rolleyes: My girlfriend and my music buddies tease me because when I play guitar on stage, I plan what clothes to wear depending on what color guitar I am playing that night. I just thought It "rock star like" to do that. OK, go ahead, I can take it, let the laughing begin.....

OK, back to the matter at hand, or at pylon, sounds like I should get one. Bri, thanks for the tip, I will check ebay for one. I see Overtons sells them for $15. I just hate to pay their shipping rates for one item though.

UMP

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 09:25 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rope-Shock-Tube-For-Wakeboard-Ski-Boat-Waterskiing_W0QQitemZ7175781032QQcategoryZ23807QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ski-Rope-Shock-Protector-Tube-Wakeboard-NO-Kick-Back_W0QQitemZ7175929686QQcategoryZ74048QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's 2 ...

08-16-2005, 09:31 PM
ha! , I just found those two on ebay too!!!

we think alot alike Bri, :eek3: ....uh.....hey,,,,uhhh.....does that ...uhh....mean we are both "metro"??? :eek:

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme HA HA!!!

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Hey Big Don...

Don't even go there buddy. You need to go watch some monster truck and tool shows. Take the Celine Dion out of the CD player and quit watching Hope Floats.

Arrghhh Arrghhh Argghhhh (in my best Tim the Toolman voice)

lakes Rick
08-16-2005, 09:40 PM
so[/B] particular about details like that :rolleyes: My girlfriend and my music buddies tease me because when I play guitar on stage, I plan what clothes to wear depending on what color guitar I am playing that night.

*** is this world coming to????????

08-16-2005, 09:41 PM
ROFLMAO!!! I was waiting to see what the respone was :purplaugh :uglyhamme

Hey, I dont listen to any show tunes so we are OK dude!!

Maybe just for good measure I should watch some WWF, put some bigger tires on my truck(which hasnt been washed and has the "tuff truck" look), and listen to some Hank Williams 8 tracks to secure my manhood even further.

UMP

ski_king
08-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Brians flowered shorts are not metro......

08-16-2005, 09:44 PM

They are if they match his boat :D

Hoosier Bob
08-16-2005, 09:45 PM
I am LMAO! I had forgotten about the flowered shorts! Just trying to keep up! You go UMPS! :uglyhamme Watching HGTV again Bob? :D

08-16-2005, 09:45 PM
BTW, what the hell is Hope floats?

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 09:46 PM

Very funny Denny. Checking out my shorts huh... :noface:

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 09:47 PM
BTW, what the hell is Hope floats?
Some Sandra Bullock/Harry what's his face, chick flick movie my wife likes. :o

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 09:48 PM
They are if they match his boat :D
Hey I detest shopping. I wear whatever bathing suits the wife buys me. I don't give a rip. If I can't buy it from the internet and have it delivered it doesn't get bought.

Hoosier Bob
08-16-2005, 09:48 PM
It's something you're wife brought home and said "I heard this is a really good movie!" All I remember is the drunken stuper it took to get through it. I couldn't tell you what it was about but I am sure I got some points for watching! ;) BTW, what the hell is Hope floats?

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 09:49 PM
It's something you're wife brought home and said "I heard this is a really good movie!" All I remember is the drunken stuper it took to get through it. I couldn't tell you what it was about but I am sure I got some points for watching! ;)
The only good point was Bullock is hot.

08-16-2005, 09:51 PM
ah ok,

I figured it had to be some chick TV show or something given the rest of the metro dig that it was accompanied with.

Hoosier Bob
08-16-2005, 09:51 PM
Everyone says to my "girlfriend" of ten years she looks like Sandra Bullock! That is not a positive as I believe she is a DQ! I am not at all attracted to SB! I am attracted my GF! No that is not Good @#$%^!
PS Brunettes rule!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah, if she passes "SB" I am all for it!The only good point was Bullock is hot.

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Well she's pretty easy on the eyes IMO.

08-16-2005, 09:53 PM
The only good point was Bullock is hot.

Yea, well DONT tell your wife that otherwise you will lose ALL points you gained suffering throught the lame chick flick.... remember you watched that for a reason Bri.

Hoosier Bob
08-16-2005, 09:54 PM
I'm just saying (threadjack) if she passes the Crocodile Dundee test I am in! :banana: Well she's pretty easy on the eyes IMO.

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 09:55 PM
No, slept through it. She doesn't like Old School but likes that...UGHH!!

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 09:55 PM
I'm just saying (threadjack) if she passes the Crocodile Dundee test I am in! :banana:
What's that Bob?

Hoosier Bob
08-16-2005, 09:57 PM
That's when he grabs the lady in the &*$# and checks to make sure the're are no "bits and pieces!" ;) What's that Bob?

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 09:58 PM
That's when he grabs the lady in the &*$# and checks to make sure the're are no "bits and pieces!" ;)
GOTCHA!!! LMAO...Dude that was funny. "Oh, it's OK he's from Austrailia."

08-16-2005, 09:58 PM
Well Bob, first you call me a Metro, and NOW you threadjack me!!!! :mad:

***!!!

(JUST KIDDING!!!!!)

ha ha, man did this thread go bad like potato salad in 85 degree sun for 5 hours..... :dance:

:popcorn: keep up the good work!!!!

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 09:59 PM
The thread for the night.

Hoosier Bob
08-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Sorry, no action on the drinkin thread and I hate drinkin alone! :uglyhamme
PS I did not call you a "Metro!" My ship is totally metro baby!! I am the whole JC Whitney catalogue of boating on water!Well Bob, first you call me a Metro, and NOW you threadjack me!!!! :mad:

***!!!

(JUST KIDDING!!!!!)

ha ha, man did this thread go bad like potato salad in 85 degree sun for 5 hours..... :dance:

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Bob, I've got a silver bullet in a MC 35th Annv Koozie sitting here next to the laptop.

08-16-2005, 10:01 PM
It all started with a simple techinal safety type ski rope question, and the next thing you know were talking about chick flicks, and Paul Hogan grabbing some guys #@*$

:uglyhamme

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 10:01 PM
Well Bob, first you call me a Metro, and NOW you threadjack me!!!! :mad:

***!!!

(JUST KIDDING!!!!!)

BTW, we told you what you needed to know and showed you where to get it, so quit your quibbling.

08-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Bob, I've got a silver bullet in a MC 35th Annv Koozie sitting here next to the laptop.

Does it match your laptop color :uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

WOOO HOOOOOO!!!! :dance:

08-16-2005, 10:03 PM
Im not quilbbling Bri, just chiming in on the fun!! :D :wavey: :toast:

Its all good man!!! :D

Hoosier Bob
08-16-2005, 10:04 PM
Yeah! I mean who really uses protection nowadays anyway? As long as people are engaging in free sex I am in baby, yeah! TJ King!!!BTW, we told you what you needed to know and showed you where to get it, so quit your quibbling.

08-16-2005, 10:05 PM
:D :) Sorry, no action on the drinkin thread and I hate drinkin alone! :uglyhamme
PS I did not call you a "Metro!" My ship is totally metro baby!! I am the whole JC Whitney catalogue of boating on water!

Its all good Bob, I know you didnt call me Metro, I am just havin fun' this is an entertaining thread. :D

Hoosier Bob
08-16-2005, 10:06 PM
Right there with ya UMPS! :D :D :)

Its all good Bob, I know you didnt call me Metro, I am just havin fun' this is an entertaining thread. :D

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 10:06 PM
Ok, I'm back had to walk out to the garage to get a fresh soldier. I didn't want Bob to drink alone. :D

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 10:08 PM
UMP don't you freeze your arse off up their? I went to a friends cottage one time when I lived in DC for a weekend. It was somewhere north of Saginaw. I think it was for Memorial Day or 4th of July. Dude, I like to froze my arse off that water was so cold!!

Hoosier Bob
08-16-2005, 10:08 PM
I am like "Homer!" Fridge in every room and spares in the toilet tank! :dance: Ok, I'm back had to walk out to the garage to get a fresh soldier. I didn't want Bob to drink alone. :D

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 10:10 PM
You're my hero Bob!

6ballsisall
08-16-2005, 10:11 PM
You're my hero Bob!

tru dat :D

08-16-2005, 10:11 PM
Bri,

Its cold here. Its WAY colder here than Saginaw or anywhere in the Lower Peninsula.

I guess I am used to it because I have lived here all my life, but I have to say after I lost all that weight, I have a rough time with the cold weather.

I plan to ski through September. Its starting to cool off here now, cooler mornings and nights.

08-16-2005, 10:12 PM

we look who else decided to join the "metro" thread!!! :toast:
Hi jeff!

are you sure your color coordinated enough to be here?? ;)

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Bri,

Its cold here. Its WAY colder here than Saginaw or anywhere in the Lower Peninsula.

I guess I am used to it because I have lived here all my life, but I have to say after I lost all that weight, I have a rough time with the cold weather.

I plan to ski through September. Its starting to cool off here now, cooler mornings and nights.
Big Don,

What do you do their for a living? Also why isn't the UP part of Wisconsin?

08-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Bri,

I work at an auto dealership. small town type of place, I do lots of things. I mainly manage factory warranty claims, take care of the computers, order new vehicles, and yes, to supplement my income I also sell cars, not my favorite part of the job. But it pays the bills.

and we should be part of wisconsin, hell we are physically attached to it, but not connected to lower mich at all....

I dont know why..... obviously people want to be as they are all Green bay packer fans here.

08-16-2005, 10:21 PM
ya know..... in retrospect I goofed up when I picked my screen name here. I should have used "YOOPER" instead as thats what they call everyone from the UP (upper peninsula) of michigan. YOOPER is easier to write than Upper Michigan Prostar190......

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 10:23 PM
That's cool man. Ya gotta pay the bills. Is their a bridge that connects the UP to the rest of the state?

Hoosier Bob
08-16-2005, 10:24 PM
I'm back! Just had to iron my socks for tomorrow! By the way anybody catch the new issue of GQ this month? Wow I was totally shocked! To think I could do the 8 minute ab workout in just 7 minutes! I tell you girl my six pack has been packaged and shipped!

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 10:26 PM
I'm back! Just had to iron my socks for tomorrow! By the way anybody catch the new issue of GQ this month? Wow I was totally shocked! To think I could do the 8 minute ab workout in just 7 minutes! I tell you girl my six pack has been packaged and shipped!
LMFAO!!!!!! :uglyhamme

Hoosier Bob
08-16-2005, 10:27 PM
Actually I was checking the boat for the 6 a.m. run with Leroy and friends! Can't wait!!!! Well I have a hard time getting pumped up but I am always glad I did! :D

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 10:28 PM
That rocks dude.

Hoosier Bob
08-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I would say this threadjack is about complete! :worthy: That rocks dude.

6ballsisall
08-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I would say this threadjack is about complete! :worthy:

08-16-2005, 10:33 PM
not quite complete yet bob!! :headbang:

UMP is back!

08-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Bri,

The Mackinac bridge connects us to the lower half. Its the largest suspension bridge in the world.
check it out

http://www.mackinacbridge.org/

ya know, I have an uncle that works for the MDOT and he took his digital cam up on TOP of the mac bridge and took some pics. THey make me sick just looking at them. I should see if I have them on my work computer tomarrow and I could post them here. interested in seeing them???

Hoosier Bob
08-16-2005, 10:36 PM
By the way I am also in the auto industry! Citifinancial Automotive! I drive all day, sometimes 30 minutes or so, and sell my financing to dealers across the great state of Hoosierland! I have been here 5+ years and have a blast! :toast: not quite complete yet bob!! :headbang:

UMP is back!

08-16-2005, 10:39 PM
For the record, I was as nervous as a long tailed tomcat in a room full of rocking chairs when I towed my MC home, I had to cross the big mac bridge at night with it. I had white knuckles on that steering wheel!!!! :eek: :steering:

08-16-2005, 10:41 PM
By the way I am also in the auto industry! Citifinancial Automotive! I drive all day, sometimes 30 minutes or so, and sell my financing to dealers across the great state of Hoosierland! I have been here 5+ years and have a blast! :toast:

Bob, so your an indirect finance rep for Citifinancial? Whats that like? Do you do that all the time in field? or are you a loan officer too?

Hoosier Bob
08-16-2005, 10:45 PM
I will tell you all about it upon my return, B double E double R-U-N Beer Run!Bob, so your an indirect finance rep for Citifinancial? Whats that like? Do you do that all the time in field? or are you a loan officer too?

08-16-2005, 10:50 PM
SOunds good Bob,

Bri, did you check out that link to the Mackinac Bridge yet?? Whatcha think of it??? :confused: a yugo went over it a few years back....wind blew the car right off the bridge. no foolin man, that really happend. :eek:

Hoosier Bob
08-16-2005, 11:02 PM
Back! What is better than glass, a little smoke on the water, some close buds, a Mastercraft, a breakfast burito, coffee, Ibuprofen, a hangover and a cool a.m. run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

6ballsisall
08-16-2005, 11:04 PM
SOunds good Bob,

Bri, did you check out that link to the Mackinac Bridge yet?? Whatcha think of it??? :confused: a yugo went over it a few years back....wind blew the car right off the bridge. no foolin man, that really happend. :eek:

I checked it out, thats pretty intense! Whats the weather do on that brigde in the winter?

08-16-2005, 11:11 PM
it makes it VERY challenging to drive on Jeff!!! :steering: :eek:

When its Icy and windy, it frankly ***!!!

I am not wild about driving across it in winter. Last time I did I was with a co worker on a business trip for training. There was a storm moving in and we wanted to get across the bridge before the storm hit. We just made it, they closed the bridge not long after we went across. it wasnt a fun ride let me tell you. you have to respect mother nature. She can take you in a second. I will have to see if I can find those pics my uncle took up on top the bridge tomarrow. If I find them I will post them!!! :toast:

UMP

BriEOD
08-17-2005, 06:49 AM
Bri,

The Mackinac bridge connects us to the lower half. Its the largest suspension bridge in the world.
check it out

http://www.mackinacbridge.org/

ya know, I have an uncle that works for the MDOT and he took his digital cam up on TOP of the mac bridge and took some pics. THey make me sick just looking at them. I should see if I have them on my work computer tomarrow and I could post them here. interested in seeing them???
Yeah Don, lets seem em'.

BriEOD
08-17-2005, 06:52 AM
I drive all day, sometimes 30 minutes or so ... across the great state of Hoosierland!
So you drive all day or 30 minutes? :confused:

08-17-2005, 08:25 AM
Or do you drive in 30 minute increments all day? :uglyhamme

I will look for those pics Bri

BriEOD
08-17-2005, 08:32 AM
Yeah lets see em'. BTW good talking to you last night UMP.

08-17-2005, 09:33 AM
Heres the pics
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/macbridge19.jpg

08-17-2005, 09:34 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/macbridge20.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/macbridge13.jpg

08-17-2005, 09:35 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/macbridge12.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/macbridge1.jpg

08-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Sorry the pics arent that big, thats the way they were emailed to me.

and yea! good talkin to you too Bri. That was fun :toast:

When it gets to be winter time, I will take some good pics up here to show you what its like living in the frozen tundra...

you know, there are some houses north of here that have 2 front doors, one on ground level, and one on the 2nd story to go out of when the snow gets too high. a bit north of here often times there are houses that cant see out of their 1st story windows because the snow is too high. :eek: no foolin!!

Hoosier Bob
08-17-2005, 12:14 PM
I was making a joke! Not funny at all. With sales you can get the rep of short hours but in fact it can be 24/7. I spend a ton of time driving but much less now that I am not covering the whole state.
PS. That is one bad bridge! :headbang: Or do you drive in 30 minute increments all day? :uglyhamme

I will look for those pics Bri

08-17-2005, 04:17 PM
yes, that bridge scares the hell out of me Bob....

BriEOD
08-17-2005, 04:23 PM
you know, there are some houses north of here that have 2 front doors, one on ground level, and one on the 2nd story to go out of when the snow gets too high. a bit north of here often times there are houses that cant see out of their 1st story windows because the snow is too high. :eek: no foolin!!

Wow, that is crazy!! I've seen snow about 5x's in my life. I grew up in Florida and have always been in places with warm climates. I cannot imagine that. Holy smokes!!

east tx skier
08-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Haven't read the whole thread, but I'd say you need to use one about one hole shot before someone pops the handle at the driver. ;)

erkoehler
08-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Haven't read the whole thread, but I'd say you need to use one about one hole shot before someone pops the handle at the driver. ;)

Way to end the thread jack without even knowing it :headbang:

bradamerry
08-18-2005, 04:07 PM
MC should make one with the Team MC logo on it...

PS.. I hope no one already said this, I'm not reading the whole thread... ;)

BriEOD
08-19-2005, 07:52 AM
Hey Doug/Brad quit jacking our threadjack!! :noface: Big Don, HB and I had a discussion going on here. 8p

08-19-2005, 08:57 AM
Yea!!! so there! You tell em' Bri! you cant just come around here talking about what this thread was originally about once we swtiched gears to talking about Metrosexuals, really big suspension bridges, Lots of snow, and Hoosier Bob's odd driving/working schedules. Get with the program guys :purplaugh :uglyhamme ;) YOu guys missed out by not reading the whole thread. Missed some cool pictures too.

but really, thanks for replying. I will be scanning ebay for a kick back protector. I missed the ones on ebay wednesday because I was sleeping at the switch. But I will get one soon. :)

BriEOD
08-19-2005, 09:02 AM
I will be scanning ebay for a kick back protector.

Ok Big Don while we're at it here it's called a Shock Tube. :uglyhamme

Hoosier Bob
08-19-2005, 09:20 AM
I thought it was a "Recoil Modulator!" Man do I feel stupid! Huh, I guess I never made the connection. :uglyhamme Ok Big Don while we're at it here it's called a Shock Tube. :uglyhamme

BriEOD
08-19-2005, 09:23 AM
I thought it was a "Recoil Modulator!" Man do I feel stupid! Huh, I guess I never made the connection. :uglyhamme
LMAO!! You say TOE-MATO I say TOE-MOTO.

08-19-2005, 11:37 AM
and I say DOMO ARIGATO, MR. ROBOTO :cool:

Since we are getting technical, why dont call it a "line tension-velocity arrestor" :uglyhamme ;)

east tx skier
08-19-2005, 03:26 PM
Yea!!! so there! You tell em' Bri! you cant just come around here talking about what this thread was originally about once we swtiched gears to talking about Metrosexuals, really big suspension bridges, Lots of snow, and Hoosier Bob's odd driving/working schedules. Get with the program guys :purplaugh :uglyhamme ;) YOu guys missed out by not reading the whole thread. Missed some cool pictures too.

but really, thanks for replying. I will be scanning ebay for a kick back protector. I missed the ones on ebay wednesday because I was sleeping at the switch. But I will get one soon. :)

I picked up a MC shock tube last year. Appears to be the genuine article. Has the slalom course timing chart on it, too.

08-20-2005, 10:04 AM
Sounds cool eastie, but I cant seem to stomach that $41.00 price tag for an MC shock tube. Thats just a little too far IMO. I see overtons sells them for $15.00 If I cant find one on evilbay I will most likely get one from Overtons. I will keep looking..... :)

Hoosier Bob
08-20-2005, 09:01 PM
$41.00 for a shock tube? Try the $29.00 spare tire cover! I have never seen anything so cheap! It is now covering my trash can! $100,000 boat, $1.00 north Korean spare tire cover. No I don't have a $100K boat but I do want it to look like one, trailer and all! :o Sounds cool eastie, but I cant seem to stomach that $41.00 price tag for an MC shock tube. Thats just a little too far IMO. I see overtons sells them for $15.00 If I cant find one on evilbay I will most likely get one from Overtons. I will keep looking..... :)

parks_jr_55
08-21-2005, 12:54 AM
Take the Celine Dion out of the CD player and quit watching Hope Floats.

He listens to Hilary Duff. It makes him feel younger.

I think UMP's overuse of smileys is the extremly metro.

Anyone else see that southpark episdoe?? Funny as hell.

Hoosier Bob
07-04-2006, 11:48 PM
Just wondering if anyone has read this as of late? I noticed a guest was viewing the thread and could not help myself! Was UMP really that **** when he first signed on? I reread and most of the posts are fun very fun! Well worth a reread! Sorry UMP but here you are a newbie once again! :D

RECOIL MODULATOR!!! :D

east tx skier
07-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Get one. We see the handle fly most often when people are getting up and hold on just a little too long/too hard after the point where they are not going to get up.

Like Brian, I got mine on ebay.

Hoosier Bob
07-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Where the heck have you been? I am sure Don has three or four by now! He uses them as Kickback Protectors and Bump Back Protectors at the dock and he even cut one into tenths and uses them as Beer Can Protectors!!! I was just saying this thread was fun Doug and a good re-read! ;) Get one. We see the handle fly most often when people are getting up and hold on just a little too long/too hard after the point where they are not going to get up.

Like Brian, I got mine on ebay.

east tx skier
07-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Just in the nick of time, right. I'll bet he's still thinking about it. ;)

Hoosier Bob
07-05-2006, 11:23 PM
You are probably right! UMP spent the last year pondering the purchase of a "KICKBACK THINGY!" :D

TMCNo1
07-05-2006, 11:45 PM
You are probably right! UMP spent the last year pondering the purchase of a "KICKBACK THINGY!" :D

And he uses a "kickback thingy" to store his fins in! :rolleyes:

Kevin 89MC
07-06-2006, 09:46 AM
OK, ironically this may not be the best place to post this question, as this seems to have gotten a bit off track, but here goes: do kickback protectors keep the handle from entering the boat, or just keep the other end of the rope from wrapping around stuff? I can't really see how a 5' foam tube is going to affect what a heavy handle does ~50 feet away after a fall. When I ski at 28 off, my driver said he has heard the handle hit the back of the boat on a fall. I don't quite get how the "shock tube" will prevent that. Maybe it's time to put back on the "safety bar" and netting . . . of course I don't hear about the pro drivers/observors having any issues.

east tx skier
07-06-2006, 10:10 AM
I think it's like how some of those crazy guys on animal planet get away with holding poisonous snakes by the tale. Keep them elongated (as opposed to coiled) and they can't strike the length of their body. The shock tube won't keep the handle from hitting the boat, but it may (and I don't know that this theory is close) keep it from hitting the driver. I think they assume that the passengers have a responsibility to duck or catch it if it comes their way.

G-man
07-06-2006, 10:14 AM
A shock tube is suppose to help keeping the rope from wraping around the drivers head but is also helps prevent the rope recoiling back into the boat. Somehow it absorbs some of the energy created in the stretching of the rope. I won't drive a boat without a high quality rope and shock tube, and I have the scar in the head to remind me.

tex
07-06-2006, 10:15 AM
I've been hit in the leg so hard that I could bearly walk the next day. When I was at SW, our show director got hired to testify at a civil trial of a girl who had an orbital bone factured when a guy was kneeboarding and snapped the handle into the boat. No kickback protector...maybe even a bu boat. I just added the last part for laughs!

beef
07-06-2006, 10:29 AM
A shock tube is suppose to help keeping the rope from wraping around the drivers head but is also helps prevent the rope recoiling back into the boat.

True, I think this is the primary benefit. I've been in the boat (w/no protector) when the rope went slack and somehow looped around the driver's throttle hand. When the rope went tight again, I thought it was going to twist his arm off. The shock tube will also help guide the rope to the side of the boat. Maybe this can help guide the handle to the side? I have seen the handle come into the boat even with the tube on. We always use one.

TMCNo1
07-06-2006, 11:10 AM
In the early '80's, before anyone realized the benefits of the 'Safety Top" and before the discovered use of the "Shock Tube", at Gresham's Lake in Raleigh, NC, a slalom skier lost the handle and it came in the boat on the right side of the driver. The driver had moved upon the shout of the observer, went to neutral taking his hand off the throttle and the handle bounced off the dash, hit the throttle and put it in reverse WOT. Nearly sank the boat!

TMCNo1
07-06-2006, 11:15 AM
I won't drive a boat without a high quality rope and shock tube, and I have the scar in the head to remind me.

Now I understand where the problem lies! :eek:
If you get professional help for the bang on the head, you may get your mind right and return from the dark side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: Hello, G-man!

WTRSK1R
07-06-2006, 11:36 AM
If the ski line if fully loaded when the skier looses the rope, the force is directed back at the pylon. As the load is transferred from the skiers hand, the rope can head back toward the pylon. Where it goes really depends on where the skier is when they loose the rope. I have seen new skiers who loose the rope while coming out of the water launch the rope completely over the boat since the trajectory started at a lowere point then the top of the pylon. On the other hand, I have seen good shortline skiers loose the rope at the wake crossing and have had the rope literally land in the back of the boat. In that case, it was heading directly at the pylon, but did not have quite enough energy to make it to the motor. :eek: If the force is directly at the pylon, the shock tube should protect the driver and the spotter by being one last point of protection before the rope makes it that far into the boat. Thankfully, I have never seen anyone get hit, :toast: but have seen it come close several times.

It is cheap insurance, and as several people have said, it looks cool. :dance:

WTRSK1R
07-06-2006, 11:44 AM
By the way, I forgot to mention in the last post. If you really want to save the money, I know someone who used a swim noodle from Walmart ( $0.99) and then put the ski rope through the center of the noodle. He tied a seperate rope around the end of the noodle and made a loop in it to put over the pylon. Total investment was about $1.50 and it has exactly the same effect. The rope drags a bit when you are changing line lengths, but other then that it serves the purpose. :D

jakethebt
07-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Wow.... I saw that this was updated and started at the begenning... I now regret that. "Sickos"

I was learning to ski, had no gloves on, and while being pulled out of the water I fell. The rope had so much tension in it that it shot over the boat. My wife was spotting and saw it coming. The boat driver saw it in the water in front of the boat before he reliazed that I was down (or not up). He had to turn quickly to keep from hitting it. I did not see it happen (face first in the water) but they were laughing so hard when they came back to pick me up that they could not explain what had happened.

TMCNo1
07-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Wow.... I saw that this was updated and started at the begenning... I now regret that. "Sickos"

We try our best to give that image! :eek: :popcorn: :eek:

rodltg2
07-06-2006, 01:32 PM
whwre can you buy shock tubes, blank w/o logo's or writing..

TRBenj
07-06-2006, 03:46 PM
whwre can you buy shock tubes, blank w/o logo's or writing..

In Tow (http://www.jlbmfg.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page1.html) sells them. They also make quality ropes from what I hear.

quincyfirefighter
07-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Rod try www.screaminsacs.com They have blanks and difference colors also. Think their in Sac. too ;)