PDA

View Full Version : "Spice of Life"

tideengineer
04-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Just a comment as I was figuring up some summer budgeting (which includes boat money)....watersports is expensive...

We have a place on the lake and share a place on the Gulf of Mexico (Orange Beach, AL) and between the jet ski, pontoon boat, and Mastercraft it can get ridiculous...oh well, all in fun and as a friend of mine says, "it's all about the spice of life".

Well I'm off to internet shop...my two youngest are on me about a new tube to play on during rest time.

Thanks for listening...

davidstan
04-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Same here. The fam has all agreed that we take one less out of state vacation per yr to justify the expenses of being in the lake business. It doesnt cover the expenses but at least offsets all the gas expense.

epnault
04-25-2012, 02:43 PM
I know what you mean. We bought our first cabin on a lake this past winter. During the initial stages the money was just pouring. Furniture, dock, lift, canopy, tarp, landscaping, washer, dryer.....I will let you know what else my wife has added to the list once I get home tonight.:D

kskonn
04-25-2012, 02:48 PM
I moved to a lake house full time in October of last year, this is my first summer on the lake full time. I have loved it so far, however the move into the new house(twice the cost as my old house) has also come with the expense of remodeling the master bath area, new counter tops in the kitchen and the bar as well as new flooring in the guest bathroom. Hell I guess you can't take it with you. No vacations scheduled this year away from home, we are just trying to find enough time to hang on the lake.

ski/hunt
04-25-2012, 02:57 PM
I gave up on trying to save money and traded it for saving memories!! My kids will only be young once and they are still young enough to think their parents are cool!! I know that phase is going to be short lived also!! I'll have the rest of my life to work and save!! Maybe the economy will have recovered by then!!!....:^)

bobx1
04-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Jetski - initial purchase price, occassional maintenance/service, fuel, insurance, depreciation

Party Barge - initial purchase price, occassional maintenance/service, fuel insurance, depreciation

Mastercraft - initial purchase price, occasional maintenance/service, fuel insurance, depreciation

Ropes, tubes, bumpers, anchors, life jackets, etc.

Lake Camp - initial purchase price, taxes, insurance, occassional septic system work, then the "everything comes in "2's" expenses (cable bill, electric bill, water/gas bill, lawn mower, TV's, Xbox, DVD/BluRay, stove/oven, washer/dryer, furniture, fridge, plates, utensils, grill, etc.), extra food and drinks for those that dont bring enough, extra towels for those that forget to bring their own, etc. So when all that is done, the wife wants a deck and furniture and grill and fans on the pier and......

But check the pictures out on the wall at our camp - PRICELESS!

milkmania
04-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Vacation Rental By Owners is looking pretty good:twocents:
http://www.vrbo.com/

used them before for Branson rental

epnault
04-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Ahh-ski/hunt, the conversation about the kids growing up fast was a key discussion that made us hit the GO button on the cabin. Our boys are 10 and 7. Assuming they are out by 18, the oldest has already lived half of his time with us. Time to create long standing memories now when the I can still participate and they want to too!!

mzimme
04-25-2012, 03:54 PM
I'll tell you what, as a guy that grew up having his parents take him on all kinds of vacations as a child, I commend those of you who are interested in the memories you cherish with your kids now. I didn't grow up on a lake, but I did grow up going to Colorado twice a year for week long skiing sessions. Some of the greatest memories I have come from those road trips out to Colorado, and the week of fun that followed. Plus, growing up being on a pair of skis actually gave me something to do that I'm really good at these days. I'm not really good at a whole lot of things, but snow skiing is definitely one of them. Your kids will someday look back and say "wow, I'm glad I didn't have to start wakeboarding in my 20's", and being on their board will be second nature by then.

Kudo's to you parents that are out having fun with your kids, while also teaching them to have fun doing something that they can be proud of, and enjoy, for the rest of their lives. I'm sure some of you grew up doing things like that, but for those of you who didn't... you have no idea how much your kid will appreciate what you did for them come another 12-15 years. Keep it up! Hopefully some day I can do the same sort of bonding with my family as I progress into further stages of my life.

tideengineer
04-25-2012, 04:12 PM
I have great memories of the lake...I was on two skis at 6 years old and been doing it ever since, my brother and I being our greatest competition...now my thwo youngest are the same (my oldest is just a sunbather on the boat). I would not give up any of our boats or toys....kids ride the jet ski with the adults cruise on the pontoon. Someone asked to rent out our place for a few weeks and I laughed because we're always there. It's the "spice of life"...I want my kids to be talking about the lake and beach memories with their kids one day.

jafo9
04-25-2012, 07:29 PM
same for us. why wait till the kids are all grown up to make the plunge. we bought 3 years ago and have never regretted it. it is amazing how the money pours out the door. 2 houses, 2 boats, 3 jet skis and all the associated toys and fuel. but like has been mentioned many times, the memories we are building are amazing. i've gotten in the habit of making a movie for every summer month for the past few years incorporating stills and video and whatever summer songs were popular. they are a blast to watch, especially when its cold outside and you need some summer buzz.

tideengineer - what lake are you on?

tideengineer
04-25-2012, 08:43 PM
We have a place on Gantt Lake, north of Andalusia, AL.

JohnE
04-25-2012, 09:13 PM
I finally bought a MC in 2006 and since then it has been the biggest waste of money I never imagined. 4 boats later I have no regrets. Occasionally I question the decisions, but so far it has been good. That may change but for now it has been the best money I spent. And I spent a lot.

treiter
04-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Have to agree with all of you. My kids are 8-12 and the decision to buy our boat was "they are only young once". We have the greatest family vacation in the summer and I hope our kids will cherish it enough that someday they do the same with their kids. Life really is too short.

JohnE
04-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Have to agree with all of you. My kids are 8-12 and the decision to buy our boat was "they are only young once". We have the greatest family vacation in the summer and I hope our kids will cherish it enough that someday they do the same with their kids. Life really is too short.

Agree completely

orbeamlb
04-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Love Orange Beach. Went there quite often when we lived in Baton Rouge.

kskonn
04-26-2012, 09:41 PM
My son is 11 months old, already loves the boat. A big , big, part of our decision to leave the city and to the lake was our son. We figured there could be no better place to grow up but the lake. Swimming, boarding, skiing , anything but playing video games and watching TV too much. The best part is we are centrally located to my parents, my sister , brother in law and their two 12 and 14 year old boys. They think I am the coolest uncle alive now. Our house has become the family hangout spot and I have re-kindled my relationship with my smoker pit.

mzimme
04-26-2012, 11:49 PM
My son is 11 months old, already loves the boat. A big , big, part of our decision to leave the city and to the lake was our son. We figured there could be no better place to grow up but the lake. Swimming, boarding, skiing , anything but playing video games and watching TV too much. The best part is we are centrally located to my parents, my sister , brother in law and their two 12 and 14 year old boys. They think I am the coolest uncle alive now. Our house has become the family hangout spot and I have re-kindled my relationship with my smoker pit.

That's legit right there. Smoker pit = king of the continent ;) (I'm a KC bbq freak)

tideengineer
04-27-2012, 12:48 AM
We share a place on canal off cotton bayou. Love it

CantRepeat
04-27-2012, 07:15 AM
I've jokingly talk about selling the boat but my daughter always says no, it's her's and I can't sell it. We go out as family just about every weekend during the hot months. The boat is just an avenue for family fun.

tideengineer
04-27-2012, 12:59 PM
my 11 year old daughter would cry if I sold MC, 15 year old son would kill me if sold the jet ski, wife would leave me if sold pontoon boat, and extended family would disown me if sold the lake house....I'm all in....

oxberger
04-27-2012, 01:09 PM
I've jokingly talk about selling the boat but my daughter always says no, it's her's and I can't sell it. We go out as family just about every weekend during the hot months. The boat is just an avenue for family fun.

That right there is why I have a boat and eventually want to have a place on the lake. I don't have kids but I have neices and nephews and in laws. I grew up on the water and couldn't imagine not being around it. My mom loves telling the story of when I was little to get me to sleep they would take me out on the boat and as soon as they docked I'd wake up crying again, so they'd have to unbutton everything untie and head back out. The memories I have of learning to ski and drive the boat are awesome. I'm hoping to recreate some for the little ones in the family one day.