PDA

View Full Version : Alternator or other suggestions?

Danno1972
04-25-2012, 10:00 AM
I have a 2004 x10 I bought a few months ago. I took it out for a trial run last week and im having an issue.. I put a brand new battery in it (same marine cold crank amps as in the original battery) but when I have all ballast pumps on and the stereo the voltmeter drops down below 13 and I get an annoying noise and the stereo cuts out. Also bad battery displays on the guage. During normal operations the voltmeter shows around 13.5. Is that a normal amount to be produced by the alternator? Engine running during this whole process as well.
Also if I cut the engine and try to run the stereo off the battery it only plays for about a minute and I get the same squeal and the stereo cuts out??? Should I suspect bad battery or weak alternator or is this all normal?
Thanks!!
Dan

73blue
04-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Sounds like probably a bad battery. If the volt meter reads 13.5 at idle, the alternator is working. Also you are supposed to rev your engine to 1500rpm when filling ballast I believe, which may or may not help your situation. Is your stereo stock or have speakers and amps been added? Also check all connections of course.

Danno1972
04-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the info. It is stock stereo I'm quite certain and stock speakers I know. Clarion. I just bought the battery brand new.. But it could be bad battery. Good to know 13.5 is normal alternator reading.
I may change out the battery and see if that fixes it.
Thanks again!

petermegan
04-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Agree with Blue, Bad battery, or I wonder if the auxillary connections have a faulty connection to the battery. Does your motor still crank/start after you get low voltage shutdown on your stereo?

Danno1972
04-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Yes the engine still cranks after the low voltage warning. In fact the engine still runs but if I turn off the engine it cranks right back up.
I guess bad battery is better than bad alternator!! Hope that's all it is.. Clue would be stereo not running on battery alone??
We'll see if that fixes it. I appreciate it guys!

petermegan
04-25-2012, 07:30 PM
If your motor still starts and runs but your stereo is shutting down, most probably your battery is fine. Could still be one faulty cell but I am leaning towards your auxillary wiring has a poor contact to the battery. Just can't get enough current from battery alone. Check your wiring all the way from stereo to battery.

petermegan
04-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Forgot don't forget your earth!!

mikeg205
04-26-2012, 12:16 AM
From an electrical engineering standpoint - many of audio/ballast setups draw a ton of power. 12 volts and lets say 45 amp hour. So you get 45 x 12 watts for an hour... big sound and big ballast could drain battery very quickly even in a multi-battery system...need one of these in some of the setups I have read about... :D ... http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Honda-EU1000IKC-Portable-Generator/p6548.html

Danno1972
04-26-2012, 12:36 AM
It's a single battery on this x10. Just curious anyone know what battery I should have in this boat? Maybe my cold cranking amps are inadequate?
Thanks for all the replies!
Dan

petermegan
04-26-2012, 05:15 AM
I can't see that you are draining your battery or your engine wouldn't crank let alone start. Your Starter motor and computer are getting enough current, just not your stereo. If your alternator couldn't keep up (assume it should if you have a stock setup) then your battery would not crank/start your engine. Maybe I am missing something??

Danno1972
04-27-2012, 12:03 AM
Update....
So I took the battery back to wal mart (yes wal mart) and had them do a test and it came back 'replace battery'.. I went ahead and went for the upgraded version--690 cold cranking amps was the most I could find in my battery size. Original battery was 625. The book says that for my engine I need a minimum of 750 cold cranking amps...?? I couldn't find that many in the battery size? Anyway it's installed--hopefully successful run when I take it out Saturday. I will post results.
Thanks again for all the tips and advice! I'm a new and very excited boat owner!

JimN
04-27-2012, 12:14 AM
It's a single battery on this x10. Just curious anyone know what battery I should have in this boat? Maybe my cold cranking amps are inadequate?
Thanks for all the replies!
Dan

CCA has nothing to do with what happens while it's running, other than how long it takes to recharge after cranking it for a long time.

What is the average time to crank it before it starts running? If it's much more than 5 seconds, it's taking too long and the battery will be run down for a while immediately after it starts.

As posted, pumps draw a bunch of current and anything that acts as an electric heater is about as bad as it gets.

You should also make sure the battery terminals/clamps are clean and tight- do the same where the ground cable bolts to the engine block. If these are dirty, you'll see exactly what you're describing.

Danno1972
04-29-2012, 10:29 AM
I took the battery out and had it tested at wal mart. The result was 'replace battery'! So I got a new battery-even upgraded it to a better one--and installed it. Yesterday had the boat on the lake with no issues so far.. Fingers crossed but it looks like bad battery after all.
Thanks all!

JimN
04-29-2012, 11:36 AM
I took the battery out and had it tested at wal mart. The result was 'replace battery'! So I got a new battery-even upgraded it to a better one--and installed it. Yesterday had the boat on the lake with no issues so far.. Fingers crossed but it looks like bad battery after all.
Thanks all!

Did the old battery go dead while sitting? If so, how many times and approximately how long did it take? If it only took a few days, so a current draw test ASAP. If you see about 330mA, it would indicate a bad bridge rectifier in the alternator. If you see 15mA-~65mA, it's from accessories that have memory to save settings, like the radio and PP.