PDA

View Full Version : teak question

carlsonwa
04-25-2012, 09:21 AM
For the last few years I have refinished my teak deck usually once each year. Light sand, teak cleaner/brightener, followed by multiple coats of teak oil.

Has anyone used a clear coat after the teak oil to maintain a nice shine longer between refinishes?

Thanks

mikeg205
04-25-2012, 09:37 AM
I use star brite teak sealer... but still every year...

CantRepeat
04-25-2012, 09:56 AM
I think the issue with clear coat is that it's gong to be too slippery. Kyle has a thread in the appearance section about a linseed oil and mineral spirits mix that works well. The big issue is just not over doing it. Unless you are trying to do a show just hit it with 80 grit and that mix.

This thread (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14640)- start at post 244 - good luck.

93Prostar190
04-25-2012, 10:38 PM
I am just an teak oil guy .... I don't use the sealer but have not about it.

JohnE
04-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Use the sealer and take your risk. I used it and several went upside down on it. But then too nobody who never stepped on it ever fell. I'm still trying to get tht stuff off my platform

east tx skier
04-25-2012, 11:18 PM
Use the sealer and take your risk. I used it and several went upside down on it. But then too nobody who never stepped on it ever fell. I'm still trying to get tht stuff off my platform

I prefer Amazon golden teak oil. Looks great, but no slick surface.

mikeg205
04-25-2012, 11:22 PM

Been using the sealer for a couple years...no one ever slipped on it...I don't sand it so it keeps any raised grain....good for traction.

madcityskier
04-25-2012, 11:58 PM
x2 on amazon gold. Most of the items that build a film will eventually crack and or peel, and then they're a pain in the arse to strip without hurting the wood.

On another note, MGOR , your pic always looks like there is smoke coming off you if I catch it out of the corner of my eye. You must be one hot skier.

mikeg205
04-26-2012, 12:01 AM
x2 on amazon gold. Most of the items that build a film will eventually crack and or peel, and then they're a pain in the arse to strip without hurting the wood.

On another note, MGOR , your pic always looks like there is smoke coming off you if I catch it out of the corner of my eye. You must be one hot skier.

Thanks for the comment about skiing - I fell on my arse about 1 second later....lol... left shoulder at least 45 degrees away from back of boat...body all bent...winter cob webs.... lol...