PDA

View Full Version : Gauges droping, info for others

rlivingood
08-16-2005, 07:17 PM
Folks,

Over the last 3 weeks or so my gauges seem to drop to nothing and then after a few minutes / seconds bounce back to life. I have the boat in for service and here is the current prognosis:

1. in 2002 and 2003 there was a controller box revision that suppose to resolve this type of problem. They are all the way up to rev F and my boat had rev B (to be changed as warrenty)

2. There was a warrenty item about the box (can't remember the electronic box name) grounding. They are going to implement this as well.

If these two don't solve the problem then as described the gauges work off serial data passed along a single line between each of the gauges. If one of the gauges is bad and pulls down the single to ground then the others drop off as well. This might be it, but won't know until taking the boat out again in a couple of weeks.

Just a FYI for folks (PS 209 2004).

Rod

jimmer2880
08-17-2005, 05:44 AM
Thanks for posting. I'm sure that will come in handy for a couple folks on this board.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-17-2005, 08:40 AM
I have an '03, if I do not have this issue, would they still do the warranty? Maybe when I bring it in for winterization?

prostar205
08-17-2005, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the info. I had my eng. temp guage go to zero while running last weekend. Then, all of a sudden, it came back after shutting the engine off and restarting the boat. It was only the temp guage, everything else was working all day.

Ric
08-17-2005, 01:32 PM
I think this happened on Rodl's 04 but I dont remember the fix (it may have been when the dealer took his boat on a beer run)

Tom023
08-17-2005, 01:50 PM
I fought gauge problems for three years on mine. Replaced the MDC with the latest version of the box in 2002, but it didn't fix it. Then, one at a time, because the dealer would not do all at once, I started replacing the gauges when they would fail. The first time I did that, I noticed the gauge had a manufacturing date and a "Rev B" sticker on it so I think it was a new design. With all new gauges in this year, I have not had a single failure, whereas before, I was sure to have at least one go out everytime.

Because I had PP installed in place of the speedometer, I have an unused connection behind the dash. I was also able to hook up another gauge (e.g., oil pressure when the oil pressure went out) to verify it was a specific gauge problem, and in every case it was.

rlivingood
09-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Folks,

Just an update from the initial problem.

The fix (or at least fixed for 1 full weekend trip) was to replace the computer up to the most recent rev level (believe it is F) and run a new ground wire (had to cut access holes in my ski locker to run the new ground wire I didn't like and didn't close them :-) (I'll post pictures later). Both were known Mastercraft warrenty items. Wish there was a tech note section of all known outstanding maintance items from MC.

Anyone have any good ideas about closing 4" circular holes in the fiberglass?

Rod

rlivingood
10-03-2005, 12:00 AM
Well my hopes faded this weekend. The gauges dropped out numerous times when curising at ski speeds. Also, just received my Mastercraft customer service all us if you aren't happy card from the results of my survey. Was unhappy about the gauges and thought they were fixed. Guess it's time to let the know it's not.

Sure not looking forward to replacing one gauge at a time. Hope they have a better answer.

Rod

rlivingood
10-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Well Mastercraft steps ups again. After talking with the customer service they too agreed that changing one gauge at a time isn't condusive to trailering gas mileage ;) So they agreed to replace all the gauges at once. Now I just need to drive another hour to the service place to get the work done.

Hope no one else needs to go through this drastic repair process to get their gauges to work reliabilty, but do want to commend Mastercraft for stepping up and doing whatever is needed to get it resolved.

Rod