PDA

View Full Version : Finally, a decent find on Craigslist L.I.

Bouyhead
04-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Picked this boat up Sunday; 94 Maristar 200 not running w/ 737 hours for $2500 These are the pics the day I looked at it & brought it home.

Bouyhead
04-24-2012, 11:42 AM
The boat had a no spark, no fuel pump priming issue. I got real lucky on this one as it was the harness ground on the block! Boat started right up no noise, smoke rattles, nothing.
Got it up to operating temp, changed out the fluids, & did a compression test; 155-175 in all cylinders. Broke out the old pressure washer and gave it a quick blast.

D3skier
04-24-2012, 12:04 PM
very nice find... I found a 03 X-30 for $5500 on CL but seller never responded and ad was taken down by seller a few days later...

thatsmrmastercraft
04-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Congrats.......looks like a fine project boat at a great price. I look forward to seeing progress pics.

mzimme
04-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Wow, looks nice! Did the seats clean up well too?

Now it just needs a buff and she'll look great!

catamount
04-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Wow! I love an easy fix!

mtajpa
04-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnE
04-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Nice. Keep us updated.

Bouyhead
04-25-2012, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the replies. I bought the boat to flip & make a couple of bucks with all proceeds going into my new garage fund! I could use some suggestions on the interior. The motor box, rear seat, observer seat & trunk are trashed, everthing else is good.

I put out a call yesterday to Mastercraftskins for a price per skin. My other option is using my local guy who I've used before with quick turnaround and good results. If I go with the local guy I'd like to get away from the whole pink & blue thing to keep the cost down. I was thinking all white for the rear seat & maybe just a strip of grey on the motor box to dress it up a bit, what do you guys think?

_________

Fab
04-25-2012, 08:24 AM
would be maybe too much white ? keep the same pattern but just change those awful colors ;)

looks like the boat stayed open without cover for a long time, what a shame...

mikeg205
04-25-2012, 08:47 AM
This could be a very nice flip for you...dang... i would have done it...and learned how to do upholstery myself...can't wait to se the final outcome and your take on the sale...

Would love to see motor running when fixed...

CruisinGA
04-25-2012, 10:48 AM
That cleaning up did wonders... Can't wait to see what you find wrong with the engine... Sometimes it can be so simple and people just write it off. Hope that is the case for you.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Great progress so far. I agree with Fab, get rid of the pink......it really dates the boat.

pram
04-25-2012, 11:53 AM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=77874&d=1335282092

this must be one of Cam's relatives who owned this boat :D

pram
04-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Have you decided about the color change? What kind of a money difference is there if you do the entire interior? It may be a better selling feature if the entire interior is changed out and looking modern??

Bouyhead
04-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Just got off the phone with Mastercraftskins, $1200 to make up skins for the motor box, rear seatback/bolster, rear trunk, drivers seat, & observers seat. The kicker is we're looking at a 3-4 turnaround by the time they get my old skins.I wanted to have the boat for sale before Memorial Day. I'm going to see my local guy and see about just doing the pieces that are bad. I agree with the comments on the color change, but I'm not sure doing the whole interior will pay for itself.

That brings me to my next scenario, What's it worth? I know, whatever someone is willing to pay.
Incorrect trailer,bottom paint and salt water use. I did find out the boat came from Lake George, NY and wasn't in the salt very long, It still has the original MC manifolds, and the windshield and assorted hardware don't show any salt corrosion. A friend of mine knows the original owner I should be talking to him soon. Keep the comments/ideas coming! Thanks!

thatsmrmastercraft
04-25-2012, 02:53 PM
You may find someone who wants to trade a MC trailer for the trailer yours is on.

Fab
04-25-2012, 05:03 PM
that's funny to see how you don't like to have a non stock trailer in the US...over here (EU) you won't find any MC with stock trailer as they'r not allowed, most of the trailers here are not even made for Vdrive and need to be modified ! Same for bottom paint, almost every boat has it as "fooling protection", altough it could hide some serious hull damages...

Post more pics and good luck !

TRBenj
04-25-2012, 06:12 PM
You will not recoup the money invested to repair/replace the skins. If the damage was minor and that was the ONLY thing keeping it from being pristine, then MAYBE it would be worth considering... but with the bottom paint, non-original trailer, etc, youre already going to be selling this to a non-MC enthusiast, with a fairly low budget.

You are best off getting it running and looking half way decent, with as little additional time and money spent as possible. Trust me, been there, done that!

JohnE
04-25-2012, 09:08 PM
You will not recoup the money invested to repair/replace the skins. If the damage was minor and that was the ONLY thing keeping it from being pristine, then MAYBE it would be worth considering... but with the bottom paint, non-original trailer, etc, youre already going to be selling this to a non-MC enthusiast, with a fairly low budget.

You are best off getting it running and looking half way decent, with as little additional time and money spent as possible. Trust me, been there, done that!

I agree 100%. Get it running well and on the market ASAP. The person buying this boat isn't a big enthusiast of any watersport and just know mc is a good bote. Make a couple grand and dump it. Redo the interior for a few grand will offset he profit to be made

Bouyhead
04-26-2012, 06:50 AM

I agree 100%. Get it running well and on the market ASAP. The person buying this boat isn't a big enthusiast of any watersport and just know mc is a good bote. Make a couple grand and dump it. Redo the interior for a few grand will offset he profit to be made

I guess by reading these two post back to back common sense is starting to trickle into my thick OCD head. Thanks TRBenj & John I needed that! & thanks to all for your replies.

JohnE
04-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Keep us posted mike. Go too OCD and you will put a ton of hours in plus a few dollars out of your pocket for your effort

chriscraftmatt1976
04-26-2012, 08:19 PM
How about solid gray instead of white? I agree with fab, that's boat abuse! Sad that some people don't take care of such expensive and beautiful boats.

Bouyhead
04-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Solid grey? That might work. Obviously doing pink,blue and grey on the back seat & the motor box will be pricey. Going to see the upholstery guy today. Hoping he might have some stuff lying around and get a good price.

Jim@BAWS
04-27-2012, 08:04 AM
very nice find... I found a 03 X-30 for $5500 on CL but seller never responded and ad was taken down by seller a few days later...

Because it was FRAUD

CantRepeat
04-27-2012, 08:10 AM
Because it was FRAUD :uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

Say it ain't so, Jim!!

Unstoppable
04-28-2012, 10:52 AM
'Looks good. You are going to need to look into dealer numbers to test drive your fleet. :steering:

Bouyhead
05-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Got the passenger seat, motorbox, & rear seat done for $800 and got rid of the pink. Slightly lesser grade vinyl and losing the pink saved me a few bucks. Fixed the blower, new bilge pump and float switch, fixed fuel sender, new strut bushings, and got a decent 4 speaker stereo from Overtons for a $100. The hour meter shows 740 hours, I spoke to the original owner here on L.I. He bought the boat a few years ago w/ 500+ hours from Lake George, NY Looks like it only spent a coulple of years in the salt. I guess that explains the original MC exhaust manifolds. All in all a pretty decent unmolested boat. When I bay tested it a few weeks ago it looked like a decent slalom wake, no tracking fins though:( Anyone looking for a Maristar?

DemolitionMan
05-22-2012, 08:59 AM
That turned out nice, great work.

JohnE
05-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Looks great Mike, how about a few more pics?

Bouyhead
05-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Looks great Mike, how about a few more pics?

Thanks John, here you go. Any TT members have any suggestions on where to advertise? I put it on Craigslist over the weekend and got some tire kickers but nothing panned out. I have it listed for $9500 but obviously I'm a negotiable. Thanks

NatesGr8
05-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Boat looks great. Only inboards worked for me.