PDA

View Full Version : 1992 Prostar 205 fuel sending unit

joyner1020
04-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Trying to buckle everything back up on the 205 ...Its been a couple months since I pulled the gas tank out and forgot to take pic of where the wiring routed to ...
For some reason I missed the plug where I could have just UNPLUGGED it , but NO , I had to undo the wires ...< Glad I did in the long run because the terminals needed cleaning >

My Question ??? There are 3 wires on the sending unit RED , Black , and Tan

I know where the red and black go , but where does the tan go ????
The red and black hook up to the top of the gas tank , then the tan wire is the only one left and it is much longer than the red and black ..

where does it Go ????????????????????????????????????????

Kyle
04-24-2012, 10:55 AM
I have never seen a 3 wire set up for a 92-93 205. My 93 190 is a 2 wire setup red/black. The tan wire must be your signal wire.

joyner1020
04-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Signal Wire MEANING ?? The signal back to the guage and if so , Why is it so much longer than the other 2 wires ?? And if it is the signal wire would it connect to the terminal with hot wire ?
3 wires ...black - ground Red - hot Tan - ???
I kick myself for not taking pics when pulling this apart ......

joyner1020
04-24-2012, 11:25 AM
RED --Hot
Black --Ground
Tan -- ????

mayo93prostar
04-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Ohm out the tan one and see if it is tied to ground. It may go to the gas filler neck to ground it. That may be why it is longer. On my 93, there are only two wires to the sending unit but I recall there was one going to the metal filler neck to tie it to ground of the boat to avoid spark when filling I guess. I think the negative side of the sending unit was tied to ground also.

joyner1020
04-25-2012, 12:31 AM
Ohm out the tan one and see if it is tied to ground. It may go to the gas filler neck to ground it. That may be why it is longer. On my 93, there are only two wires to the sending unit but I recall there was one going to the metal filler neck to tie it to ground of the boat to avoid spark when filling I guess. I think the negative side of the sending unit was tied to ground also.

You are right my friend , thanks for the help

Kyle
04-25-2012, 12:50 AM
You are right my friend , thanks for the help

Glad you figured it out. My neck is grounded but it has it's own wire and is not even close to the fuel sender. I googled 3 wire sending unit and it was the wire to the gauge. Sorry for the confusion. Just trying to give an idea.

If your tan is to ground the sending unit and the neck is grounded by the factory wire to the neck the black wire can prolly be used to ground the sending unit if it needs to be grounded. Use ohm meter to check for sure. I'm 99% sure that your boat came with a 2 wire and someone put in a 3 wire.

vrsc
05-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Originally my 1999 sportstar came with an isspro sender and had positive and negative terminal connectors from the sender to a 2 wire wiring harness. This harness on the sender side had a green static ground (not tan)that went to the fuel fill up. The new mastercraft 2 wire sender all come with the red and black wires backwards at the harness so I just needed to just cut off the green wire and heat shrink wrap the open wire.