PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Trip suggestions

Ben
04-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Looking for a few ideas on a family trip to Tampa. We have one open day. Planning to go to a beach, Sea World, and legoland. Kids (5 & 6) are in tow. We have heard Busch Gardens (intial reason for TPA) was not great for small kids, so I think we are ditching that.

Any suggestions for stuff w/little ones? Good beach recommendations? Wife went to gatorland a long time ago, and thought it was good. We were thinking to go see Winter at the fish hospital, but the reviews and pictures don't make that sound like a fully day, or even worth our time / money (except for sad kids).

Going in the next week or two.

Any help?

TNH2oSkier
04-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Ski-board- and ride cable at McCormics in Sefner off of hwy 4, then head to St. Pete and check out Pasagrill beach its one of the top 10 beaches in the us. Walk to dinner at Hurricanes afterwards and life will be great.

If its a rainy day, check out Salvidor Dali's museum in St. Pete.

RustyMC
04-22-2012, 10:53 PM
+1 on Pasagrill - great beach and usually not the least bit crowded.

There is a decent aquarium at the pier in downtown St. Pete as well.

trickskier
04-24-2012, 11:17 PM
There's a good waterpark across the street from Busch Gardens - Adventure Island - a lot of fun for the kids.

BriEOD
04-25-2012, 01:39 AM
I lived in Tampa for many years. When my son was little he loved going to Busch Gardens. Aside from the rides, the park also has a very impressive zoo with countless animals. My son loved riding the train and all of the animal exhibits. Additionally, there are plenty of rides for kids your age, to include a huge "kid only" area.

Yes, Tricky is right, Adventure Island is also a lot of fun.

Scottman
04-27-2012, 01:23 AM
Another +1 for Pasagrill beach. Also ould be cheap and easy to get into a Tampa Rays game..only 15 - 20 minutes from Pasagrill.

Was just in Tampa/St. Pete in March watching Spring Training games. Heading back next month!

mikeg205
04-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Don't forget a trip to Bay Area Water Sports... :D

Ben
04-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Don't forget a trip to Bay Area Water Sports... :D

Not sure that would amuse the wife as much as me...

Thanks for the help guys.

Ben
04-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Anyone ever been to De Soto beach / park? Have someone telling me that too.

Looks like Passagrill may be better suited, as we will likely hit the beach in the morning, and need food for lunch.

Scottman
04-27-2012, 11:01 PM
Yes!

Take the kids to Fort De Soto. Was always a great time when I was a kid, they'll like running around the fort and all the canons and guns.

If you're looking for somewhere different to eat while in St. Pete, look up Chattaway. It's a little outdoor place...has been there for like 50 years. Awesome hamburgers!

trickskier
04-29-2012, 03:13 PM
I lived in Tampa for many years. When my son was little he loved going to Busch Gardens. Aside from the rides, the park also has a very impressive zoo with countless animals. My son loved riding the train and all of the animal exhibits. Additionally, there are plenty of rides for kids your age, to include a huge "kid only" area.

Yes, Tricky is right, Adventure Island is also a lot of fun.

I agree with BriEOD - Busch Gardens is fun for the kids. Check out Lowry Park Zoo too.

atlfootr
04-30-2012, 02:13 PM
If ya have a few minutes and want a pull (s) ....

chaneyjl
05-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Atlfootr, are you in the Tampa area? If so where do you ski? Got the cousins boat back from the Lake house in Ocala and looking to get out a couple of times.

Ben
05-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks guys, got back yesterday.

Pass a grill was definitely cool, had late lunch at Hurricanes, decent fish sandwich.

We hit Busch gardens saturday afternoon, and it was ok, but not great. Could have been the fact our flight friday night was cancelled, and we flew saturday at 7am instead, so we were low on sleep. Also, weekend / local crowd was not what we were expecting. I felt out of place w/o tatoos. Nonetheless, I think the kids still had a decent time....

Did legoland & seaworld on mon/tues. Both were awesome, kids and adults had a blast. Definitely will be back in a few years for that.