PDA

View Full Version : x9 steering tight and sloppy

Fastshivy
04-22-2012, 10:31 PM
My 2002 x9 steering seems a little too tight when turning to the left.... right hand turns seem ok. There is a little more than usual play in the wheel as well. I am not even sure what type of steering they are using on this boat any ideas where to start?

wiltok
04-25-2012, 12:24 AM
If you have never replaced the steering cable - it is prob time. It can be a do it yourselfer - but I had the dealer do cause it looked pretty complicated. The difference once done is nothing short of AMAZING. FYI - I had it done about 3 years ago on my 2001 X-9.

Kyle
04-25-2012, 01:00 AM
The wheel turns better to the right because the prop rotation is pushing on that side of the rudder. Left turns will be harder when the steering cable goes out because it is fighting the turbulance of the prop.

Get a new cable and tape the rudder end of the new cable to the helm end of the old cable and pull the old cable out with the old rudder end so you are snaking the new one in at the same time as pulling the old one out. Then bolt the new one in. Prolly a 1 hour job.

It's time for a new cable

Fastshivy
04-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks i thought prop rotation was involved somehow. Also it sounds like you are pulling the cable toward the stern? The boat is on a lift right now at the dock. Do i need to pull it out of the water?

Kyle
04-25-2012, 10:54 AM
You can do it on the lift. Also it really doesn't matter how you attach the new cable to the old cable. Meaning you can pull old cable to the stern or to the bow as long as the new cable is being snaked in.

I say pull to the stern so that the old cable comes out and is easier to control because it will be dirty. Pulling the old cable out under the helm will get the upholstery dirty and leave you with a new clean up project.

Fastshivy
04-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Just cleaned the boat too! I may put a hose clamp zip tie or something on there plus tape. Just finished rewiring the dock using old wire to pull new through the conduit. Same principal.....thanks for the advice!