PDA

View Full Version : Are my Goodyear Marathons about to fail?

g-Dog
04-22-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm assuming they are the original tires that came with the trailer...which means they are about 10 years old. A couple of them look like this witht the cracking around the sidewall. My spare looks like new, so I was basically waiting for one to go before I bought a whole new set...but now I'm worried that if one goes it'll take part of the fender with it.

Jerseydave
04-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Those are ticking time-bombs right there! 10 years old and lots of sun exposure will kill any tire. That tire is about to ruin your day (had 3 go bad on me, and they were a lot less than 10 years old!)

Jerseydave
04-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Also the DOT number on the sidewall near the bead will tell you when the tire was made. Last 3 digits are the month and year.

mzimme
04-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Replace those before they fail. Why on earth would you want to wait until one blew before you bought a new set? Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Cloaked
04-22-2012, 07:42 PM
I'm assuming they are the original tires that came with the trailer...which means they are about 10 years old. A couple of them look like this witht the cracking around the sidewall. My spare looks like new, so I was basically waiting for one to go before I bought a whole new set...but now I'm worried that if one goes it'll take part of the fender with it.
Those tires are good for another 10K miles. Go for it......

:rolleyes:

Why do today what you can repair tomorrow?

g-Dog
04-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Yeah...I guess I didn't really explain myself correctly. :rolleyes: I pretty much know I need to get new tires, but I was really wondering if this is how the dreaded Marathons look before they go, or is there some other visual sign? I thought the problem Marathons were made in China and all of mine say Made in Canada.

Anyone running the Kumho 857? They are approx. 1/4" taller and 1/4" narrower than then Marathons...and they have a higher load range.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+857&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=0R4857&tab=Specs

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
04-22-2012, 09:21 PM
I had one of marathon's start to seperate about 2 months ago, mine were also around 10 yrs old and had less than 1 thousand miles on them, no cracking or dry rotting and mine were also made in canada, replace those asap...

TOO-TALL
04-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Anyone running the Kumho 857? They are approx. 1/4" taller and 1/4" narrower than then Marathons...and they have a higher load range.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+857&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=0R4857&tab=Specs

Yup have them on my trailer for the last few years...no problems.
I would get the kumho's 857

FrankSchwab
04-22-2012, 10:01 PM
After ten years of sun and ozone, any tire could look like that - I certainly wouldn't chalk that up to bad Marathons.

Buy new tires.

/frank

TOO-TALL
04-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Yeah, my marathons were almost 6 years old and never had a problem no cracking or separation. the tread was worn.
After reading all the horror stories it was time to change them out before one blew and took out my fender.

ttu
04-22-2012, 10:28 PM
okay sorry for the thread jack, but i have a 07 mc trailer with goodyear marathons that have probably less than 4000 miles on them and the boat is 99.5% of the time in enclosed storage so no sun exposure and near perfect tread.

any concern for one more year?

east tx skier
04-22-2012, 10:53 PM
I replaced my August 2007 Marathons last year. Just because.

Maxxis going forward.

Thrall
04-24-2012, 09:49 AM
3 sets of Marathons over the last 10 years. All of them were fine, lots of miles on them until 4 years old. Then1 or more of each set separated . He!!, 2 sets blew out in the same week!

CruisinGA
04-24-2012, 10:07 AM
We have 11 yr old Marathons on our trailer, showing the same signs as yours.

Since our trailer is only used for the semi-annual trip 1/2 mile from storage to the ramp every year, I don't see us replacing them until we have to.

ski/hunt
04-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Ya why replace that which is obviously in need!! There are people who make new fenders, rims, and guys who do gel repair that are counting on fellas like y'all to keep them working!!
And hey there is nothing more fun than changing a blow-out on a hot summer morning when your family is all pumped on some lake time!! Oh ya, and you know it will explode only in a nice convenient spot where you can safely pull over and change it!!!

AZX9
04-24-2012, 11:59 AM
I have had many a Marrathon blow out and I can say I have had none that start cracking in the center of the sidewall like yours. I always see cracks in the shoulders sometimes they form into bulges. There is a nice tread of a guy repairing his fiberglass fender you may want to visit if you don't replace them. It all depends I guess on how fast and far you tow. If you drive 30 mph five miles down the road to the ramp not so big a deal as 65 mph and thirty minute to the ramp. Either way that is a blow out waiting to happen.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-24-2012, 01:02 PM
When the Marathons fail, it is a tread separation from the body of the tire. If you are paying close attention, you may hear a ticking sound as the first of the tread starts to come loose. Sometimes this goes on for several miles, other times it happens pretty quickly. Then in just a moments time, the entire tread will peel away and, well.....you know the rest. This is an entirely separate issue from the weather checking / age cracks found on the sidewall.

To be safe, I replace trailer tires every five years. This doesn't mean they are not going to last any longer, it's just that I despise changing flat tires. When I put new tires on, I sell the tires on craigslist. I typically get 30-40% of the new price. Note: These rules don't apply for Marathons as I will not run them.

curtish
04-25-2012, 02:08 AM
g-Dog, where are you in NorCal?

tr6coug
04-25-2012, 04:04 AM
okay sorry for the thread jack, but i have a 07 mc trailer with goodyear marathons that have probably less than 4000 miles on them and the boat is 99.5% of the time in enclosed storage so no sun exposure and near perfect tread.

any concern for one more year?

Same year and mileage as mine. Last summer one of them started separating and would not hold pressure. Going to replace the rest this year.

g-Dog
04-25-2012, 12:55 PM
g-Dog, where are you in NorCal?

I'm in the Sacramento area. The boat and trailer are stored in the shade, but it gets into the 100's a lot out here in the summer. Definately time for some new rubber.:D

I'm trying to decide between the weird "Euro-metric" sized Kumho 857

or the Maxxis M8008
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/maxxis/product/submitProductSize.do?r=CANINT%7Cpc%7C95843&pc=46111

I like the D load rating on the Kumho's, but I've heard and read really good things about the Maxxis...and I can get them locally.

Anyone want to buy some slightly used Marathons?:rolleyes:

thatsmrmastercraft
04-25-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm in the Sacramento area. The boat and trailer are stored in the shade, but it gets into the 100's a lot out here in the summer. Definately time for some new rubber.:D

or the Maxxis M8008
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/maxxis/product/submitProductSize.do?r=CANINT%7Cpc%7C95843&pc=46111

I like the D load rating on the Kumho's, but I've heard and read really good things about the Maxxis...and I can get them locally.

Both good options.......you can't go wrong either way.

Forrest-X45
04-25-2012, 02:17 PM

or the Maxxis M8008

Just walk in or call your local American Tire/Discount Tire store and tell em you want the Kumho 857's and they will have them in their store in a few days. Plus they will match Tire Rack prices and if you ever have a problem in the future you don't have to deal with Tire Rack, just roll into your local American Tire store and they take care of everything.
I like the Kumho's as well because of the 8 ply D rating in the 14" wheel size. I will most likely be purchasing a set next spring.

AZX9
04-26-2012, 01:06 AM
Can't go wrong with Discount Tire. If you do any kind of towing get the warranty. You'll use it.

g-Dog
04-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Just got back from America's Tire...very nice people by the way. They said they would definately match any Tire Rack price. They called Kumho to order the 857's for me and Kumho told them that that tire has been discontinued. Bummer. So I ended up going with the Maxxis. Should have them installed within a few days or so.

Ffwinman
04-27-2012, 04:45 PM
They will fail. I had the original tires on my 2003 x10 trailer and two failed on my way to the river for spring break. Spent $600 on 5 new carlisles. I feel much better.

Cloaked
04-27-2012, 07:10 PM
........ Spent $600 on 5 new carlisles. I feel much better.Good luck with the Carlisle.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
04-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Good luck with the Carlisle.

ain't nothing wrong with the carlisle, my boss has 6 running his 38 fountain around, of course he replaces them every year no matter what...;)

AZX9
04-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Carlisle is a garranteed blowout.

Bottom line is this. All 14" & 15" "ST" trailer tires are crap. Shop for the highest weight and load range you can get for your rim size and keep maximum air pressure to minimize sidewall flex (heat). BUY the warranty from Discount/Americas Tire. You will use it within a few years if you tow any distance at all.

AZX9
04-27-2012, 09:39 PM
ain't nothing wrong with the carlisle, my boss has 6 running his 38 fountain around, of course he replaces them every year no matter what...;)

Operative words there, He changes them every year. Why, because they have left him on the side of the road before. He's gone to preventive measures.

Again all trailer tires suck. If you want to replace and forget about your tire issues for good put on 16+ sized wheels and put on truck tires with a weight rating. It's a PTA because you will have to deal with clearance issues but if you have torsion axles it's doable.

burp
04-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Yeah...I guess I didn't really explain myself correctly. :rolleyes: I pretty much know I need to get new tires, but I was really wondering if this is how the dreaded Marathons look before they go, or is there some other visual sign? I thought the problem Marathons were made in China and all of mine say Made in Canada.

I've been running the Kumho 857's for a couple of years........with zero problems. Previously had been running Marathons for 5 years before replacing them. On the 3rd set of Marathons, I had 2 blowouts after 2 years. I went to the Kumho 857 since they were the only manufacturer that had a 14" D load rated tire.

g-Dog
04-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Well, I got the Maxxis tires installed on Saturday @ America's Tire. We were literally in and out in 20 minutes. Those guys are fast! Then we drove 30 miles to the river...can't really say I felt any difference from the Marathons, but the piece of mind was worth every penny.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Well, I got the Maxxis tires installed on Saturday @ America's Tire. We were literally in and out in 20 minutes. Those guys are fast! Then we drove 30 miles to the river...can't really say I felt any difference from the Marathons, but the piece of mind was worth every penny.

Did they balance the Maxxis tires? Many people choose not to, but I am a big believer in balancing all tires.

g-Dog
04-30-2012, 03:32 PM
Yes, they did. They had four guys doing the tire change...I felt like I was in Nascar. :D

thatsmrmastercraft
04-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Yes, they did. They had four guys doing the tire change...I felt like I was in Nascar. :D

Nice. Customer service like that is worth more than a ton of money spent on TV advertising.

millpondkid
05-01-2012, 12:40 AM
I'm In need of a set of new rubber, pulled the tires off this weekend to work on installing new bearings and noticed one of the marathons had a real bad wear spot on the outer edge all the way around. The rest of the tire looked good.