PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky brake?

tdjaster
04-22-2012, 09:22 AM
I've got a 2002 MC trailer and the right side wheel area has just recently begun letting off a light, high-pitched squeak when it's rolling. I'm thinking it coming from the brake. Is this a warning sign of needing new breaks?

mikeg205
04-22-2012, 12:47 PM
10 years old? ever been replaced? ever check your bearings? if not time for a good inspection.... :) post pics please

petermegan
04-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Agree with the previous post, wheel bearings definitely are your first check. I normally fully repack my wheel bearings every few years. I would doubt that your brakes pads are shot but could be as simple as some gravel stuck between your pad and rotor/disc. (assume disc brakes) is also possible that your calipers have seized up and are not sliding to equalize the pressure from both pads. Hope this helps.

tdjaster
04-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Don't know how to explain it but the squeak/grinding sound is gone. I'm gonna say it must have been something like gravel stuck in the pad/disc that somehow worked itself free.

Lucky me, I suppose!

Cloaked
04-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Don't know how to explain it but the squeak/grinding sound is gone. I'm gonna say it must have been something like gravel stuck in the pad/disc that somehow worked itself free.

Lucky me, I suppose!Sounds like a pad wear warning system that is rubbing the disc. Pull the wheel and caliper and look at it.