PDA

View Full Version : Houseboaters, tell me what you think of this thing...?

RyanD121
04-22-2012, 03:06 AM
The first week of May I will be picking up the houseboat I purchased. It's 60' with twin 150 outboards that is located in Bullfrog on Lake Powell. I have an '08 X-Star and will be towing it behind the houseboat several times this season. I've towed the MC a lot behind rental houseboats using 1/2" anchor rope, but I ran across this boat hitch and would like to get some feed back. Check out the links and tell me what you guys think of this thing. Thanks a lot for the help!

http://www.theboathitch.com/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIWp_nkjLiE

gatorguy
04-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Looks pretty cool to me. At the start of the trip we send someone in the ski boat to go secure a spot on the beach, but on the way home we tow the ski boat, and that would be real nice.

Latin Flyer
04-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Waist of money

AZX9
04-22-2012, 11:20 AM
If you can afford a house boat get it. I saw a house boat at Powell towing two boats with ropes. The lead boat broke the rope and the second boat smashed into the loose boat. I guess not an issue if you tow one boat but you could look back and have no boat.

Panda Cub
04-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Cool idea, I'd definitely buy it if I was house boating all the time. I've only rented once, and it was a blast!

Panda Cub
04-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Be careful not to impail yourself on it when jumping off the roof! Have fun, and make sure to drink lots of beer on your houseboat!

RyanD121
04-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Gator,
Thats exactly what we do unless we're going pretty far out, then we tow from the marina also.

Latin Flyer,
I really like the design, but I plan on making my own. I believe they want almost $1,000 for the model pictured. I can think of a lot better things to spend that cash on!

AZX9,
I've seen the exact same thing happen. Any time we towed multiple boats, we'd have them staggered and keep the rudders slightly turned away from each other. Never had any issues. I do like how much secure this is over a rope. I couldn't imagine the feeling I'd get looking back and not seeing my MC at the end of tow line.

Thanks for the replies guys.:toast: Any other thoughts or opinions?

RyanD121
04-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Panda,
It looks like it would be easily removable from the bolt on reciever. Thanks a lot, I can't wait to get this boat!

TallRedRider
04-22-2012, 02:21 PM
I would worry about the strength of the mounting point. What will it be mounted to? It is not like a receiver on a truck that is mounted to the frame. At least on my houseboat, I am not sure how strong that area is. Also, where it would go on my houseboat would leave the ends of those 4 bolts sticking up into where I am always walking. I don't know how often you see a tour boat up at Bullfrog, but at least from Wahweap, it is several per day. That hitch better be able to withstand the full weight of the front of the boat bouncing on it when those 4+ foot rollers hit.

Not to mention, that at least on my houseboat, it would be so low on the water, that it would be actually under the bow eye, not above it like it is intended.

I am going to say that especially for $1,000, it is not worth it.

Cloaked
04-22-2012, 02:41 PM
I would not want to constrain my boat at three points of attachment. Too many indeterminate things to go wrong and not have the flexibility of the boat being tied to only on point. Not for me... Way too much assumption of predictability of circumstances.

Miss Rita
04-22-2012, 05:51 PM
the video looked convincing until they showed the rough water towing. I'd say the hitch was good for smooth water and close quarters maneuvering. For open water I'd play out about 100' of good nylon rope.

gatorguy
04-22-2012, 07:40 PM
I think the mounting plate looks a little undersized. Also if there was a joint that let the arm flex up and down with the waves it would take a lot of the stress out of the system.

RyanD121
04-22-2012, 08:03 PM
I agree with the rough water and the arm being able to pivot. If I were to make my own, I planned on making it so the arm would be able to pivot near where it attached to the boat. I also think that the ropes going to the stern cleats would be unnecessary while towing normally, but would be ideal when backing, as in the video.

gatorguy
04-22-2012, 08:36 PM
I also think that the ropes going to the stern cleats would be unnecessary while towing normally, but would be ideal when backing, as in the video.

I was wondering why they needed ropes, but it wouldn't back up well at all without them.

JBrew
04-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Go to the last 10 secs of the video... Not happening to my boat. I'll pass and continue to use a tow rope.