PDA

View Full Version : 84 S&S No spark

d36yzrider
04-21-2012, 03:27 PM
I have a 84 S&S and it has no spark it seems to have power at the coil I just replaced the points with the pertronix pointless setup still no spark. anyone have any Ideas?

wishart
04-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Just had this same problem on my 1982 s&s....it was a bad coil!!!

Cranked and cranked mine until I ran the battery down...

next day reevaluated the problems... had a new coil handy, swaped it out...1/2 crank it fired right up.

could be your ballast resistor also.

Ballast resistior test: If you have a "test light", with key in the "on" position...one side of the ballast resistor should glow bright....now test the other side of the resistor...it should be a little less bright.

NOR CAL???? Where....If you are near me...I'll come by and check it out...i'm in Campbell
call me...turning my computer off for the day now...
bill 408-482-6369

ahhudgins
04-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Check for spark going to the distributor cap first. Remove the center wire at the distributor coming from the coil, stick a spark plug into the end of the wire and lay the ground of the spark plug against a good non-painted ground. Use a pair of insulated pliers to hold the boot on the wire just to make sure you donít get a small ďjoltĒ. Crank the engine and see if you are getting spark at the plug. If you get spark, the problem is in the distributor cap or your wires. If you donít get spark, the problem is before the distributor cap: Coil, ballast resistor (if used), or wiring. If the system you installed uses the ballast resistor, you can jumper across it long enough to bypass it for testing.

d36yzrider
04-21-2012, 09:23 PM
I have spark from the coil wire nothing from the cap not sure what to check next

Cloaked
04-21-2012, 09:31 PM
I have spark from the coil wire nothing from the cap not sure what to check next
Did you bypass the ballist resistor with the new ignition?

That install should be very straight forward. There is a thread here with step-by-step or I have the same thread with pics in a PPT.
You'll also need to reset the timing when you convert from points.

Did you check the advance springs in the bottom of the distributor?

d36yzrider
04-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Didnt bypass the ballast that's back by the breaker right I can't change the timing unless the motor starts anyways I did test the ballast it has power on both sides

Cloaked
04-21-2012, 10:50 PM
Didnt bypass the ballast that's back by the breaker right I can't change the timing unless the motor starts anyways I did test the ballast it has power on both sides
Yes, the ceramic module on the rear of the engine.

So you have fire going into the dist (checked coil) and none coming out.

Look at the springs in the bottom of the dist to make sure they are in place. And make sure you have the convertion kit installed properly.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3533

I am just throwing out a few bones.

Masterfull
04-21-2012, 11:43 PM
Double check that you have installed the ignition rotor under the cap.. If you have spark from coil, It will then be directed to each individual cylinder by the rotor.

ahhudgins
04-25-2012, 04:51 PM

If you checked the coil wire going to the distributor (center wire) and you DO HAVE SPARK, then you have and issue with the distributor or the spark plug wires. Did you check for spark at each plug wire or just one? The electronics in the base of the distributor generates the spark for the primary of the coil, then the high voltage output from the coil goes to the center post of the distributor, which sends the spark to each plug as the rotor spins inside the cap. As Masterfull mentioned, did you install the rotor back onto the shaft after your upgrade?
Make sure the spring loaded button at the top of the cap is in good shape. It makes contact with the center of the rotor as it spins.

It might be as simple as replacing your distributor and wires.

d36yzrider
04-28-2012, 09:32 PM
It was the center post on the cap replaced the cap fired right up

thatsmrmastercraft
04-29-2012, 12:23 AM
It was the center post on the cap replaced the cap fired right up

Good to hear it was a simple fix.

Masterfull
04-29-2012, 12:57 AM
Good to hear the problem is resolved... Now get her in the water!!