PDA

View Full Version : leaf spring removal

ahhudgins
04-21-2012, 02:52 PM
95 single axle trailer.
My trailer has an annoying squeak when going down bumpy roads, and I can stand on the fender and it makes the same noise. I can spray some penetrating oil around the bolts on the springs and the noise goes away until I put the trailer in the water. I want to remove all of the bolts and grease them up but Iíve never removed leaf springs.

Once I raise and support the axle, are the springs under any great load when I try to remove the bolts? Can I just remove one end of the spring, grease the bolt and the hole and then re-install it? Iíve always wondered if the springs have a natural curve in them or if they are installed under pressure.
Thanks.

mikeg205
04-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Yes they have a natural curve to them...

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/Double-Eye-Trailer-Leaf-Springs/

02ProstarSammyD
04-21-2012, 07:46 PM
bolts on the springs at the eyes or at the axle? You shouldn't have a problem with the the u bolts but its prob the bushings in the eyebolts. Not sure but they are prob rubber bushings. Makes me wonder if they have a poly option. btw spraying penetrating oil into a rubber bushing is prob making the squeek worse over time.

If its the eyebolts you will remove 1 bolt at a time, replace the bushing or grease, and rinse/repeat. If you don't have an impact.......borrow one

woobiedmd
04-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Roger the impact. Replaced all my trailer springs, hubs, u-bolts etc last year. Ended up replacing the bolts because I broke most of them, not very expensive. One of the springs actually broke while dring down the highway at 60MPH! Fortunately there is a rubber bushing on top of the axle to keep the tire from impacting/trashing the fender. Ended up taking it to a trailer place-I supplied the hardware and for $200 they did the labor.

Table Rocker
04-21-2012, 10:37 PM
There should be a bushing between the eye of the spring and the bolt. A plastic bushing is not uncommon, but bronze is the best replacement. Be sure to inspect it.

petermegan
04-21-2012, 11:30 PM
If you place a jack under the trailer chassis and jack off the ground, and then just support the weight of the axle/axles you will be fine. Mine is due for the same shortly (winter maintenance in OZ).

Table Rocker
04-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Here is a thread with pics on another site.
http://garagemonkey.net/garage-monkey-photo-galleries/Trailer-Suspension-Rebuild-gallery.html

ahhudgins
04-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks for all of the help guys. It's the bolts on the ends of the springs (eye bolts). I'll take one out and see what type of bushings I have in mine. I have a trailer store down the street so parts shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks again!

Jerseydave
04-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks for all of the help guys. It's the bolts on the ends of the springs (eye bolts). I'll take one out and see what type of bushings I have in mine. I have a trailer store down the street so parts shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks again!

Remove your entire springs and have a truck spring shop install new bushings in them for you. You should replace the bolts as well.
If you're dragging tail (prop guard hitting) this may be a good time to install some spacer blocks between the axle and springs with new U-bolts. (assuming your springs are over the axle) to gain more ground clearance.

ahhudgins
04-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Here is a thread with pics on another site.
http://garagemonkey.net/garage-monkey-photo-galleries/Trailer-Suspension-Rebuild-gallery.html

A bunch of great information on that site. Greasable bolts are a good idea.

ahhudgins
05-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Took one leaf spring out and the plastic bushings are fine. Of course the bolts had a lot of old grease and rust on them. The trailer store only had enough of the bolts with the grease fitting to do one side, so that's what I'm doing today. It looks to me that most of the noise might be coming from the leaf spring rubbing against the rear bracket? Maybe not tighten the nut as much?

Miss Rita
05-09-2012, 06:10 PM
looks like whoever put those shackles together used the German method of tightening, made them "guttentight". You can't put too much grease on these things. I'd re-assemble them with lots of grease, loosen the nut about 3/4 turn, just enough so that the assembly binds the tiniest amount. You have new bushings, right?

ahhudgins
05-09-2012, 07:06 PM
New bushings are the same color as the new bolts, it's just hard to see them.
Is the shackle supposed to be able to move or "float"?

mikeg205
08-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Ahhh raini all day...so the MC OCD kicked in.

My turn to do my springs... 1995 trailer looks like 28"'s from eye to eye (probably shorter without load - duh!) . Looking on sourcing parts on the internet over the winter... any places that specialize in MC trailers?

Thanks in advance...just crawled under my trailer...no grease...bolts clean no grease... or zierks...