PDA

View Full Version : Selling my boat. What is the correct price?

Masterwake1987
04-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Hey Guys,

I have my boat for sale on here and all over the internet. It is a 2004 X-2, and it has every bell and whistle possible. It is in awesome shape, but unfortunately the engine needs to be rebuilt. I have had a ton of inquiry about it as it seems I have priced it right at $17,500. Most of the people who are interested live far from me and are trying to haggle me on price because they have to pay for shipping which is not my problem.

Let me know what you think, and if I am pricing this well. Also if you are interested give me a call or PM me.

Thanks

Thrall
04-21-2012, 02:46 PM
If the boat really is 500hrs and great shape that sounds like a steal for anyone mechanically inclined.
For about 20k and a weekends work you could have one of MCs best hull/boat.
Even if someone paid to have the engine replaced they'd only be in it 25k or less.
You have it priced a little low Id say

03 35th Anniversary
04-21-2012, 02:57 PM
What makes you think the engine needs rebuilt?

Masterwake1987
04-21-2012, 06:56 PM
The engine is taken apart at this point. It needs new manifolds, a few plugs are stuck, the block is rusted. For what it would cost you could prob put in a new crate motor.

I am just looking to get decent money and be out.

mikeg205
04-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Hard freeze? what caused the problems....

Masterwake1987
04-21-2012, 07:05 PM
No it did not seize. Manifolds got a hole in them and i kept using it thru the end of the season. Engine just got beat up. It possibly could be rebuilt or be a good project for someone, I am just not mechanically inclined like that. I am concerned about pricing it right for the hull,trailer,cover, and bimini

mikeg205
04-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Price looks good if that's the only problem...comps are at $34K from Boat Trader for ones that run and other dealers... You might be better off getting it fixed and selling. Too_tall on this forum had his fixed between 2-3K total....have to say - engine needing replacement at 500 implies poor care....may keep you from selling - prospects may think more is wrong....IMO.

Jerseydave
04-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Was it used in salt water? If so, is the bottom painted?

IMHO, you would be better off installing a new engine in it as a selling point and raise your price accordingly. Some people would expect a boat from the 80's or 90's to need a complete engine but not an '04.

Jim@BAWS
04-22-2012, 07:37 AM
Was it used in salt water? If so, is the bottom painted? .

Based on the add...that important item was left out...Long Island, engine flush, galv trailer

Probably a 9 out of 10 chance 100 salt water use!!!

woobiedmd
04-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Look in the photo on the trailer- It's bottom painted. Would that be hard to remove?

madcityskier
04-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Never seen or heard of a custom made MasterCraft trailer before. Is that after market? Also, never thought they used leather, though I am familiar with UltraLeather, which is a good fake, so I could see that. The fact that these things seem slightly off, (and I could be wrong on both counts), along with the engine being toasted this early, rusted, and currently in pieces, would make me run at nearly any price. Rusted block makes me think likely electrical issues.
Not trying to bash you or your boat, just looking at it critically as if I wanted use it as a reliable source of fun for my family and friends. Totally agree with getting it fixed to sell. Noone wants to buy a broken toy.

02ProstarSammyD
04-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Manifolds got a hole in them and i kept using it thru the end of the season. Engine just got beat up.
That comment right there would make me never want to buy that boat
Never seen or heard of a custom made MasterCraft trailer before. Is that after market? Also, never thought they used leather, though I am familiar with UltraLeather, which is a good fake, so I could see that.
I think hes just misspeaking there on the "leather"....hopefully

Get the boat fixed and sell it. Personally someone telling me something is wrong means nothing. With Saltwater and abuse it could be a money pit. If thats really the only thing wrong with the boat its a good price but too many aggrivating factors say that won't be it. Remember most people are marrying the previous owner.......not the boat

Sorry if thats a d*** thing to say but when you start out with "manifolds got a hole in them and I kept using the boat" you are not inspiring a boat owner who took care of anything. Its a shame with such a nice boat

Masterwake1987
04-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Was only used in Salt water. The boat is bottom painted. There is no fresh water within Hundreds of miles from me. I have the engine flush to help protect it, but clearly it was not enough

Cloaked
04-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Let me ease your pain here a little :D

Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay. For a point of reference to start out, that boat with no engine and all saltwater use, I'd give no more than $6,000 for the hull, tower, and stereo. The rest of it is moot without an engine and the exposure to salt, and the care given to the boat (from your confessions) would detere me to put a lot of money into a certainty of a moneypit for replacement of components and engine.

I'd be inclined to consider parting it out, i.e tower, stereo, interior to others that need it, etc..... (don't count on the risers with the holes :D)

Just my $0.02 and no insult or gig intended. You neglected that boat and it's just not worth a lot to meticulous owners that reside here (excluding the wheel barrow challenged).

Jerseydave
04-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Was only used in Salt water. The boat is bottom painted. There is no fresh water within Hundreds of miles from me. I have the engine flush to help protect it, but clearly it was not enough

IMHO, keep that boat for sale only in your area. People that are use to salt water boats are you're only audience. There is no way a buyer from an area with nothing but fresh water lakes would even consider buying a "salty dog". Sorry, but it's true.