PDA

View Full Version : Golf cars

JohnnyB
04-21-2012, 06:53 AM
Probably be a bit before I actually pull the trigger but am kicking around the idea of buying a golf car / cart to run around my property and to/fr my dock which is 1000+ feet from the house.

Anyone own one that can steer me on:

Gas v electric
Speed increase kits
Brands and their upside/downside
Brands related to cost of adders such as lift kits, headlights, etc.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

davidstan
04-21-2012, 07:16 AM
I have an electric Club Car but EZ Go is a good one too. Community I live in there are 5000 golf carts roaming around 80 miles of cart paths dedicated to non golf use. Our alternative way of getting around. Stay with electric, quieter and easier to maintain. If you buy used found out how old the batteries are as it is 90% of your maintenance cost. Tires the other 10%. They are fun!

dpolen
04-21-2012, 07:31 AM
JohnnyB,
Not sure if it means anything, or where you are located. But my father-in-law is trying to sell an older Yamaha electric cart that the grandparents used to drive around on their farm on the north side of Indianapolis. Gently used with new batteries, no clue what he's asking for it, can't imagine it's all that much. Let me know if you want me to get the details for you.

Doug

JohnnyB
04-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Doug,

I am in NE WI. I do find myself down in central IL on business occasionally.....need to get there next month sometime.

2RLAKE
04-21-2012, 08:35 AM
buy a MasterCraft sticker and change the last few letters to MasterCart

ahhudgins
04-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Our lake property came with a gas powered EZ Go cart that needed some work. I almost sold it but once I got it running we really enjoy it. I think I would prefer an electric cart but my Dad (who is now a full time golfer) said that the electrics at the course don't have the same power as a gas model. I would guess that it would depend on the model and the cost?
The lake driveway is a 45 degree incline and about 200 feet long. The gas cart has no problem carrying 2 adults, a 85 lb. dog, and some extras up the hill.

The gas cart had a windshield on it that caused the exhaust fumes to roll around back into the cart. I removed the windshield and problem solved. I just think that an electric would be easy to maintain.

JimN
04-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Probably be a bit before I actually pull the trigger but am kicking around the idea of buying a golf car / cart to run around my property and to/fr my dock which is 1000+ feet from the house.

Anyone own one that can steer me on:

Gas v electric
Speed increase kits
Brands and their upside/downside
Brands related to cost of adders such as lift kits, headlights, etc.

Doing a lift kit AND making it go faster is a bad combination. They tip easily enough stock :D and, while it can be fun to do that when the passenger isn't quite ready for it, going faster could be a problem. If you want headlights, I would go with a gas cart so it can recharge the batteries.

Look online for Tiziani carts- he's in the Madison area and they supply carts for a lot of courses. He's also Steve Stricker's father-in-law. You might also call some of the local courses to see if they have any carts for sale. I would recommend the ones from a country club, rather than a public course. That doesn't mean the carts don't have any chance of being abused, but they're cared for better because the members don't want to be stuck with a hoopty.

DemolitionMan
04-21-2012, 09:47 AM
2003 EZ-GO electric, my next one will be gas.

SkiDog
04-21-2012, 10:47 AM
I got this for sale. 2011 Ranger Crew 800, Heavy duty bumpers, 3000lb winch, power steering, 15'' wheels, tilt bed, and a bad a$$ stereo!!!!!!!!!! $12,500.

DemolitionMan
04-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Very nice Eddie.

ski/hunt
04-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Hey Dog...Have you offered it to UMP??:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:headbang:

mikeg205
04-21-2012, 12:45 PM
I got this for sale. 2011 Ranger Crew 800, Heavy duty bumpers, 3000lb winch, power steering, 15'' wheels, tilt bed, and a bad a$$ stereo!!!!!!!!!! $12,500.

Skidog - what other cool toys you have??? red ski boat, red golf cart... red viper by chance???:cool:

73blue
04-21-2012, 12:46 PM
If you are making multiple trips a day up an incline, or if the machine will be idle for long periods of time between uses, I would go with gas. If its fairly level, and the cart will be used regularly, then electric would be ok. Electrics don't have the power of gas, and the worst thing for the batteries is to sit. They are quieter though, which is nice.

JohnnyB
04-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Doing a lift kit AND making it go faster is a bad combination. They tip easily enough stock :D and, while it can be fun to do that when the passenger isn't quite ready for it, going faster could be a problem. If you want headlights, I would go with a gas cart so it can recharge the batteries.

Look online for Tiziani carts- he's in the Madison area and they supply carts for a lot of courses. He's also Steve Stricker's father-in-law. You might also call some of the local courses to see if they have any carts for sale. I would recommend the ones from a country club, rather than a public course. That doesn't mean the carts don't have any chance of being abused, but they're cared for better because the members don't want to be stuck with a hoopty.

Good thought. I realize that. It will be governed for any driver other than me :rolleyes:

ahhudgins
04-21-2012, 02:00 PM
If you are making multiple trips a day up an incline, or if the machine will be idle for long periods of time between uses, I would go with gas. If its fairly level, and the cart will be used regularly, then electric would be ok. Electrics don't have the power of gas, and the worst thing for the batteries is to sit. They are quieter though, which is nice.

Captian Planet said that he uses his to move his boat around with the trailer wheel down, but I've never tried it with mine. I have no flat ground any where near my boat and I don't want to install a hitch on my cart either :rolleyes:. I just put new tires on the rear with more bite and it will pull our big hill fully loaded with no problem. Gas does have more torque. I took this just as a joke.

JohnnyB
04-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Good heads up on gas powered. Quite a hill down to my dock.

MIskier
04-21-2012, 06:22 PM
My buddy went all out with his gas powered cart and had it painted to match his 06 TT along with matching paint and upholstery for his 'toon.

FlatBoard
04-21-2012, 06:56 PM

I want that Cart!!! - Now to convince the wife......

captain planet
04-22-2012, 01:42 AM
Captian Planet said that he uses his to move his boat around with the trailer wheel down, but I've never tried it with mine. I have no flat ground any where near my boat and I don't want to install a hitch on my cart either :rolleyes:. I just put new tires on the rear with more bite and it will pull our big hill fully loaded with no problem. Gas does have more torque. I took this just as a joke.

I use my electric cart to put in my Jetski and my little 14' fishing boat. My MC buddy had a gas cart and it couldn't pull his jetskis out of the water, it didn't have he torque. Electric carts have more torque than gas. There is another guy at our club that uses his electric cart to put in his 16' fishing boat and it works fine. I move around my tandem axle flatbed railed with my electric cart all the time. I can spin that trailer on a dime with my cart.

toolz
04-22-2012, 02:38 AM
I had an electric EZ Go for the last several years. I attend a couple of two day events each year with no place to plug it in, and even with new batteries, it would get run down. I sold it and bought a gas Yamaha a few weeks ago. It's an '06 that came from a Wisconsin club- shorter season means less use. It is noisier, but at least I know it's going to run when I need it.

For pricing on lift kits and accessories, search on Ebay. You will find which models and years have better ad-ons pricing. Some lift kits are as low as $100, but for my rack-and-pinion a-arm suspension Yamaha, thay cost about $300. Wheels all interchange, and the rear folding seats all run about the same price.

Any of the top 3 brands make good carts, but I'd rank Club Car on top, Yamaha a close second, and EZ Go third. Club Car has an aluminum frame, which is lighter with less rust problems.