PDA

View Full Version : 214/X-14 Direct Drives possibly discontinued??

gts-20
04-20-2012, 11:52 AM
I had a conversation with my MC dealer on the phone yesterday about some work they are doing for us on our '08 PS214. He mentioned to me that he had a local customer that fell in love with our boat and was interested in buying it if we would consider selling and possibly upgrading. When I told him that we had been considering trading it in for a new X-14 at the end of this season, he informed me that MC was no longer going to produce the 214/X-14 hulls in direct drive. :eek: Does anyone know if this is true? He said MC was only going to offer the 214/X-14 hull in v-drive. I know there aren't a lot of 214/X-14 DD's around, and the 214V hull seems to be a lot more popular, but we love our DD boat. :confused:

east tx skier
04-20-2012, 12:03 PM
That's interesting. I'm not sure what MC's plans are, but it seems to be the way the industry is going. The direct drives are aimed at the skiers, and more specifically, at course skiers. The old 205 Slogan, "For Fanatics with Families" was a great concept, but seems to be filled well by the 197 for those who want an open bow direct drive. I was in a 2010 TT 197 yesterday and the boat felt very big to me from an elbow room perspective. Yet, it still drove and skied really well in the course, obviously.

I guess MasterCraft figured that most diehard course skiers wouldn't want anything bigger than a 197 and that people who weren't in the course, but still liked to ski would be satisfied with the 214V.

I don't know if that's the case, but if the rumors about the next MC tournament boat are true, the 197 may be the large boat.

All speculation on my part.

Ski-me
04-20-2012, 12:15 PM
I hope they keep the 214 DD going for at least a few more years so there is a larger supply when I go to trade up my 205. I wish I had a little more room with a great ski wake.....and the 197 is too small for a family. The front area can only hold maybe 2 kids and with the front end sloping down, I don't feel real secure with my "little ones" up front....

There are a few of us skiers out there still. All my daughters prefer to ski vs. wakeboard too. Just doing my part to keep the sport alive!:cool:

barefoot
04-20-2012, 12:55 PM
That would suck. I'd be pi$$ if they did that

east tx skier
04-20-2012, 12:57 PM
You'll miss that 205 ski wake if you "trade up." I didn't like my little ones sitting up front either. I really never liked anyone sitting up front. Pretty much kills the ski wake no matter the boat. I came up with the perfect solution. Closed bow. Absolutely no regrets, a great view from the driver's seat, and tons of storage. Really comfy for the kids, too.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--RF0TVPowOI/TaJ4iIW4c-I/AAAAAAAAD1U/0bTtERbWQSQ/s1024/IMAG0045.jpg

MIskier
04-20-2012, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't worry about it going away for too long:D The 214 has actually been a good seller over the past couple of years for MC, the dealer near my parents summer home has ordered the same number of dd 214's as 214v's for the past several years.

captain planet
04-20-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm on it. I'll find out for you shortly.

19_Skier
04-20-2012, 02:04 PM
You'll miss that 205 ski wake if you "trade up." I didn't like my little ones sitting up front either. I really never liked anyone sitting up front. Pretty much kills the ski wake no matter the boat. I came up with the perfect solution. Closed bow. Absolutely no regrets, a great view from the driver's seat, and tons of storage. Really comfy for the kids, too.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--RF0TVPowOI/TaJ4iIW4c-I/AAAAAAAAD1U/0bTtERbWQSQ/s1024/IMAG0045.jpg

fantastic pic and the exact same reasons I went to a closed bow. Does the x14 have any big benefits over the 197 or the 214v? Is the extra room that significant over the 197 to warrant having both?

Ski-me
04-20-2012, 02:17 PM

I agree with you on the ski wake and not really having others up front while skiing. Definitely affects the wake but if I'm taking the whole crew "kids and cousins" across the lake, it's nice for the extra seating capacity for sure. Especially when there is ice cream involved in the trip. :o

d2jp
04-20-2012, 04:03 PM

All of that, plus to me: a smaller, easier to tow and garage boat, fuel efficient, great handling, warmer cockpit in early spring/late fall skiing. And as you've mentioned but I think is worth repeating...tons of storage. We've had 7 on mine out for a day on the lake - it's tight with that many but no one complained:)
This year I've added an extended pylon, which will make rear bench seat a little more useful.

gts-20
04-20-2012, 04:10 PM
I'm on it. I'll find out for you shortly.

Please let me know what you find out, when you can.

thank you.

93Prostar190
04-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Well I am biased ..... The 214 platform with the engine in the middle is a great boat .... Of course I include the x14 in this as well.

A 214 is extremely course capable if you are a die hard (hey I happen to put myself in that category) then this boat is very adept in the course ......if you want to invite 8 friends to meet you at the lake after you have skied your morning passes, the 214 platform is a very social boat.... The v drive has done a great job of being versatile much like the 205 v drives did early on ....

It feels like the same progression .... I have no idea what this means to the value of my boat, but as 214 owner, I know our club president bought one after skiing behind mine ....this platform has a great following .... Only time will tell.

I love the 197, I really do ..... They are awesome, but the 214 is a bigger just as capable brother ....... They both seem to satisfy the same buyer and the market analysts may feel cost/production are not profitable enough to support both.

Oh well ... Maybe I now own a classic.

Jim@BAWS
04-21-2012, 03:44 PM
I had a conversation with my MC dealer on the phone yesterday about some work they are doing for us on our '08 PS214. He mentioned to me that he had a local customer that fell in love with our boat and was interested in buying it if we would consider selling and possibly upgrading. When I told him that we had been considering trading it in for a new X-14 at the end of this season, he informed me that MC was no longer going to produce the 214/X-14 hulls in direct drive. :eek: Does anyone know if this is true? He said MC was only going to offer the 214/X-14 hull in v-drive. I know there aren't a lot of 214/X-14 DD's around, and the 214V hull seems to be a lot more popular, but we love our DD boat. :confused:

RUMOR CONTROL HAS JUST BEEN ALERTED!!!

gts-20
04-21-2012, 05:03 PM
RUMOR CONTROL HAS JUST BEEN ALERTED!!!

So.....Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly. Are you saying that you are not at liberty to discuss this, as a MC dealer??