PDA

View Full Version : What the ****--Gas Prices

ssippiriverrat
08-16-2005, 11:02 AM
Seriously, I went to my cabin last weekend and to fill my truck and craft cost me over $100! It really sucks. I honestly think I might need to cut down my boating time...well...maybe just my driving time. I just needed to b itch a little--damn it sucks.

Mastercraft isn't working on a hybrid x-star or anything are they?

Just checking :rolleyes:

P-Rod
08-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Tell me about it!!! I was in Lake Tahoe, CA for the past two weeks with the boat and I was paying $2.89/gal to fill both the Truck and Boat. I was paying close to $100/day for fuel as well. The gas prices really made it an expensive vacation.

Ric
08-16-2005, 11:30 AM
ongoing high prices like these may create the market force needed to speed development of alternative fuels.(rather than any foolish legislation)
I will be the last to buy since I want my truck to tow like a beast and my boat to tow like a beast too!

Davo
08-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Supply and demand, I guess.

I've been driving a little slower, but the boating will never cease!

I also know people who have went as far as to purchase economical cars (cheap & used) for the commute while their Hemi powered tow truck sits at home.

Ric
08-16-2005, 11:56 AM

I also know people who have went as far as to purchase economical cars (cheap & used) for the commute while their Hemi powered tow truck sits at home.
a customer of mine did that whole buy a more economical car for commuting, thing.
BUT I think it was a sales job for the wifeys sake more than anything. If you were going eco, would a jeep wrangler be the vehicle you buy? I think he just wanted to have a jeep sitting round the house come November!

Workin' 4 Toys
08-16-2005, 12:04 PM

I hear dat! I look forward to the day I can leave the boat (or other toy) hooked the the back of my truck just for the weekends and beat he commute snot out of a beater. I am in the market for the beater. 100 miles a day on my Pstroke is nothing, but the miles add up quick and I'd like to keep it a few more years. Looking to buy something in the 30 to 50mpg range. But can't find a NON Hybrid GM or Ford that pulls those numbers yet.

Andrť
08-16-2005, 12:09 PM
I hear dat! I look forward to the day I can leave the boat (or other toy) hooked the the back of my truck just for the weekends and beat he commute snot out of a beater. I am in the market for the beater. 100 miles a day on my Pstroke is nothing, but the miles add up quick and I'd like to keep it a few more years. Looking to buy something in the 30 to 50mpg range. But can't find a NON Hybrid GM or Ford that pulls those numbers yet.
I'm affraid you gonna have to look at Japan's cars for what you want...
A Honda most likely...

jraben8
08-16-2005, 12:10 PM
I'm starting to contemplate a older TDI Golf or Jetta for the commute...

Workin' 4 Toys
08-16-2005, 12:12 PM
I'm affraid you gonna have to look at Japan's cars for what you want...
A Honda most likely...
H*ll will freeze over before I go there. No chance. I'll wait, or I'll leave well enough alone and b*tch about it.

Davo
08-16-2005, 12:44 PM
LOL

He bought a Chevy Cavalier as an extra. That was the other reason - so he didn't put so many miles on his Dodge.

Ric, yeeeaaah - everytime I see a bad a$$ jeep wrangler I get the same urge.

Jerseydave
08-16-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm sooooooo happy that I sold my 30' Formula 2 months ago :D
To fill up that tank today would cost $320.00!!!

As it is, my 230VRS cost me $100.00 to fill up last friday.
But believe me, I'm not complaining. (Now if I could find a nice cabin on the water with a dock, I wouldn't have to tow the boat with the suburban anymore) 8p

captkidd
08-16-2005, 05:04 PM
I hear that if gas prices go up much more that McDonald's will be giving away a free Suburban with every Happy Meal. It's gotten ridiculous.

Wouldn't a Ford Focus get at least 30mpg? I'd think that a Taurus would get close to that, especially with a small V-6.

AirJunky
08-16-2005, 05:18 PM
The things that chaps me....... Bush telling us that there will be NO price gouging by gas station companies or owners. Thats such BS it's unreal. I live right on the state line for WA & ID. Gas taxes in WA are like .30 cents per gallon MORE than in ID. Yet the prices in ID are the SAME as in WA.!! So if the state isn't taxin it, who's pocketing it?!?!

ssippiriverrat
08-16-2005, 05:18 PM
ongoing high prices like these may create the market force needed to speed development of alternative fuels.(rather than any foolish legislation)
I will be the last to buy since I want my truck to tow like a beast and my boat to tow like a beast too!

That's the thing! I would buy a hybrid or something like that but how is my boat supposed to get from here to there? But...braking with a boat behind you sure would recharge your batteries faster...hmmm.... :rolleyes:

milkmania
08-17-2005, 12:24 AM
2005 Volkswagon Diesel

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/20812.shtml

[quote] Pros:tdi is awsome on mpg 40+ driving 80 mph Cons:back seat is to small for an infant carrier :rolleyes:

1.9 liter diesel

Fuel Type Diesel
MPG (city) 32

MPG (highway) 43

MPG (combined) 36
Annual Fuel Cost 976

milkmania
08-17-2005, 12:30 AM
But...braking with a boat behind you sure would recharge your batteries faster...hmmm.... :rolleyes:

if you factor in the pucker scale.....it'll be a win win situation:purplaugh

maristarman
08-17-2005, 12:49 AM
As it is, my 230VRS cost me $100.00 to fill up last friday.
But believe me, I'm not complaining. (Now if I could find a nice cabin on the water with a dock, I wouldn't have to tow the boat with the suburban anymore) 8p

I hear ya on both of these. Last tank I put in our 230 cost me over 150 bucks, and lakefront cabins in California are $$$$$$$. :cry:

But I still own a MasterCraft. :dance:

Jayc
08-17-2005, 05:48 AM
Around $8 a gallon here in the UK right now. I'll still be out riding this afternoon though!

djhuff
08-17-2005, 08:22 AM
The high cost of filling up an empty tank is why I fill up every time I head to the lake. Still the same money, just less sticker shock. I can handle $30-40 every day.

bcampbe7
08-17-2005, 08:23 AM
Around $8 a gallon here in the UK right now. I'll still be out riding this afternoon though!

$8 gallon! I am just calculating how much that would cost me per week. I think I would have to find a part-time job to pay for gas! :eek:
I wish our government would allow the boys at Sollihul to send over their Diesel Land Rover Discovery as well as the Defender.

JEREMY79
08-17-2005, 08:52 AM
I have said it before, I'm sure I'll get nailed for it.

Lets get another President that is big in the oil industry

sizzler
08-17-2005, 09:14 AM
:twocents: the new disco diesel is lovely.........

maristarman
08-17-2005, 09:15 AM
I have said it before, I'm sure I'll get nailed for it.

Lets get another President that is big in the oil industry

Last time we had a gas crisis we had a peanut farmer for a President.

I'm not so sure that a Presidents private business ventures have a lot to do with the prices of a global commodity.

JEREMY79
08-17-2005, 09:21 AM
true

this message is too short

peason
08-17-2005, 09:46 AM
Another great reason - never to pull a tube!

RobertT
08-17-2005, 10:01 AM
I suspect that gas prices will hit 5 dollars a gallon in the next several years. Think about it...its 3 now....is it that unlikely?

If you put 50 hours a year on a boat, at 2 or 3 gallons per hour, you are spending about $400 - $500 tops on gas a year in your boat. Even if gas goes up to $5.00 a gallon, you are only adding a few hundred a year to your overall boat ownership costs...right.

A few hundred dollars is a ton of money, but then again all that are on here have choose to spend many thousands more on a Mastercraft than they would have on a price point boat....we will spend a few hundred on a new set of bindings without thinking about it. The added gas prices are worth screaming about, but I do not think they will change our habits much. If anything, like it was said above, less tubing.

By the way, I am guessing about the 2-3 gallons per hour. I have heard that a weighted Xstar will use 5-6.

6ballsisall
08-17-2005, 10:04 AM
I suspect that gas prices will hit 5 dollars a gallon in the next several years. Think about it...its 3 now....is it that unlikely?

If you put 50 hours a year on a boat, at 2 or 3 gallons per hour, you are spending about $400 - $500 tops on gas a year in your boat. Even if gas goes up to $5.00 a gallon, you are only adding a few hundred a year to your overall boat ownership costs...right.

A few hundred dollars is a ton of money, but then again all that are on here have choose to spend many thousands more on a Mastercraft than they would have on a price point boat....we will spend a few hundred on a new set of bindings without thinking about it. The added gas prices are worth screaming about, but I do not think they will change our habits much. If anything, like it was said above, less tubing.

By the way, I am guessing about the 2-3 gallons per hour. I have heard that a weighted Xstar will use 5-6.

5-6 gallons per hour for a ski boat is a good estimate. Double that for a fully weighted boat would be more accurate.

I am with you Robert, as much as we Biatch about it it's going to keep rising. We might as well look at ways to conserve financially and create more financial rewards so we can afford to continue to play our sport without detriment to our family and lifestyle

bigmac
08-17-2005, 10:15 AM

Unlikely? I think it's inevitable. At current worldwide consumption rates, there are about 30-50 years of oil left (as a consumer commodity) in the world. And that doesn't really take into account China's accelerating emergence into the western world's voracious consumption patterns. At the same time, there is really NO meaningful energy method replacement for burning fossil fuels on the forseeable horizon.

At some point in our lifetimes, we're gonna hit the wall and we will fondly remember the days of $3 / gallon gasoline.

Ric
08-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Unlikely? I think it's inevitable. At current worldwide consumption rates, there are about 30-50 years of oil left (as a consumer commodity) in the world. And that doesn't really take into account China's accelerating emergence into the western world's voracious consumption patterns. At the same time, there is really NO meaningful energy method replacement for burning fossil fuels on the forseeable horizon.

At some point in our lifetimes, we're gonna hit the wall and we will fondly remember the days of $3 / gallon gasoline.
I have no idea how to estimate the 30-50 year figure. I'm no doomsday theorist but speaking economically I think that as fossil fuels increase in price, the need(market) for alternatives increase exponentially. Not that I have the answer but I believe market forces apply here.

RobertT
08-17-2005, 10:36 AM
Actually, I believe there is enough oil on the planet for hundreds of years of use at current rates, the problem is the cost of getting to it. As times goes on, so will the technology that allows us to get to it.

China and India are going to be the biggest factors, they will gladly buy all the oil on the planet for 90 bucks a barrel.

If I am not mistaken, the current bottleneck is the refining process, not the procurement of the raw product. We just cant take crude oil and process it fast enough.

Yesterday, I did hear about a promising technology that produces a form of diesel fuel from coal.

America is the coal jackpot. We have a TON.

I think that is a viable option, especially at 5 bucks a gallon.

Remember though, even if an alternate fuel vehicle or heat source becomes available, it would take a long time to achieve widespread use.

The last place you would see it is in your boat. Even if a new alternate fuel source came out this week, and was viable in your truck, I would guess 5-10 years before you would see it as an option in a boat.

You can still buy a carburated engine in a boat off the showroom floor!

Even if the raising gas prices push the cost of owning a boat up a thousand per year, if you really look at the costs is a fairly small piece of the pie. Go out, enjoy your boat with your family and friends, the lake might even be a little less crowded.

By the way, my X7 can run about 7 hours on a full tank of gas, which is only about 25 gallons. That is going all out all day, barefooting, skiing, wakeboarding, etc with several people in the boat. Barefooting alone will cut that in half.

bigmac
08-17-2005, 10:44 AM
I have no idea how to estimate the 30-50 year figure. I'm no doomsday theorist but speaking economically I think that as fossil fuels increase in price, the need(market) for alternatives increase exponentially. Not that I have the answer but I believe market forces apply here.

Absolutely no question that market forces are the dominating factor, I agree.

What I meant by "consumer commodity" is the point at which the cost of fossil fuel energy is so high that the economies of the various countries can't support it as a practical widely-used energy source. There may be hundreds of years of fossil fuel left in the ground at that point, but nobody will be able to afford it.

Ric
08-17-2005, 10:45 AM
I told erkle to build a refinery yesterday...... How's that coming anyway?

JEREMY79
08-17-2005, 10:46 AM
How many gallons of gas come out of a barrel of crude oil??

Ric
08-17-2005, 10:49 AM
How many gallons of gas come out of a barrel of crude oil??
do you already know the answer? If you do, make it interesting and offer up a prize to the first one of us to get it right :D

JEREMY79
08-17-2005, 11:21 AM
no I dont know the answer. I was just curious to see how much waste there was.

JEREMY79
08-17-2005, 11:28 AM
with a little help from google. I answered my own question

What A Barrel Of Crude Oil Makes

Product Gallons per barrel

gasoline 19.5
distillate fuel oil 9.2
(Includes both home heating oil and diesel fuel)
kerosene-type jet fuel 4.1
residual fuel oil
(Heavy oils used as fuels in industry, marine transportation and for
electric power generation) 2.3
liquefied refinery gasses 1.9
still gas 1.9
coke 1.8
asphalt and road oil 1.3
petrochemical feedstocks 1.2
lubricants 0.5
kerosene 0.2
other 0.3

Figures are based on 1995 average yields for U.S. refineries. One barrel
contains 42 gallons of crude oil. The total volume of products made is 2.2
gallons greater than the original 42 gallons of crude oil. This
represents "processing gain."

This should be regarded as an average. Crude oils vary widely in their
composition, and different oils will yields wildly differing amounts of
the different products.

sizzler
08-17-2005, 11:32 AM
thx jeremy......i wont need the sleeping tablets tonight :D

dont repeat this info on ya wedding night...you may not see the week out :uglyhamme

Ric
08-17-2005, 12:11 PM
with a little help from google. I answered my own question

What A Barrel Of Crude Oil Makes

Product Gallons per barrel

gasoline 19.5
distillate fuel oil 9.2
(Includes both home heating oil and diesel fuel)
kerosene-type jet fuel 4.1
residual fuel oil
(Heavy oils used as fuels in industry, marine transportation and for
electric power generation) 2.3
liquefied refinery gasses 1.9
still gas 1.9
coke 1.8
asphalt and road oil 1.3
petrochemical feedstocks 1.2
lubricants 0.5
kerosene 0.2
other 0.3

Figures are based on 1995 average yields for U.S. refineries. One barrel
contains 42 gallons of crude oil. The total volume of products made is 2.2
gallons greater than the original 42 gallons of crude oil. This
represents "processing gain."

This should be regarded as an average. Crude oils vary widely in their
composition, and different oils will yields wildly differing amounts of
the different products.
Hell I always thought a "barrel" was 55 gal.

JEREMY79
08-17-2005, 02:26 PM
my question is what is "coke"

Ric
08-17-2005, 02:27 PM
my question is what is "coke"
isn't it like carbon black or some dusty material? I really don't know.

JEREMY79
08-17-2005, 02:37 PM
???????????

pilot02
08-17-2005, 02:37 PM
I've heard the term "coking" referring to the hard material that is left behind in the bearings of turbo chargers when the oil evaporates. Which is the reason I run synthetic in my boat and my car (turbo eclipse).

SKI*MC
08-17-2005, 02:41 PM
What if the boat makers start making smaller engines, like dare i say a V-6, some of them have a lot of tourque... i know Indmar just came out with a cadelic converter on there engines, maybe smaller engines would be the way to go in some boats.

Dell
08-17-2005, 02:51 PM
Just got the word that in my area gas is getting ready to go from 2.59 to 2.75 this afternoon. Better go fill up again. I'm in the wrong friggen business.

ski36short
08-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Looking to buy something in the 30 to 50mpg range. But can't find a NON Hybrid GM or Ford that pulls those numbers yet.

You won't find a hybrid that actually does that either. Put anything in a hybrid and/or turn the A/C on and suddenly the highway mileage is mid-30s. City mileage is still better since they can turn the engine (edit) OFF (not on!) but 55mpg comes from certification tests - nothing but road load at 75 degrees. There are several domestics that get 30+ highway mpg but I would think that maximum mileage would come from a little diesel - my aunt has a diesel Beetle and I think she gets something like 40 mpg on the highway...

Now I'll finish reading the thread and realize this has already been said many times. Late to the party like usual...

milkmania
08-17-2005, 11:32 PM
Hell I always thought a "barrel" was 55 gal.

must be the metric system:confused:

maybe a "drum is 55 gallons and a "barrel" is 42-44 gallons

bucky
08-18-2005, 12:09 AM
Several alternative energy sources have already been developed, but oil was so cheap per million btu's. The mill I work at is in the process of building a co-generation power plant that will burn almost anything that is combustible. Mainly coal and sawdust, but also fuel oil, sludge, and old tires. No new tech, just used to be non-cost effective.

jimmer2880
08-18-2005, 09:20 AM
Now about the new Jeep Liberty Diesel? I don't know how many mpg's it gets, but as a diesel - I'm guessing in the upper 20's, low 30's.

JEREMY79
08-18-2005, 09:20 AM
Ok whoever is the smartone of the bunch, figure out a way to make something run on old french fry grease. Like out of a deepfryer.

betsy&david Harrison
08-18-2005, 01:31 PM
This makes me give a rats a$$ about the gas prices..this is priceless..

erkoehler
08-18-2005, 01:35 PM
Awesome pic.....

betsy&david Harrison
08-18-2005, 01:37 PM
Gas'n up today and leaving tomorrow for paradise to ski...after I go back to work :( my first day back after summer vacay..my students are already emailing me for class information...SHUT UP and enjoy your last days for cry'n out loud!

erkoehler
08-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Gas'n up today and leaving tomorrow for paradise to ski...after I go back to work :( my first day back after summer vacay..my students are already emailing me for class information...SHUT UP and enjoy your last days for cry'n out loud!

Man, if I was one of your students I would come up with some great excuses for not having my homework done:

Well, I was out footin and it was like 6pm when we were going to head in but then the water turned to glass so we decided to stay out until around 10pm. I was just too tired from all the skiing and cleaning the MC to get that done. You think I could turn it in the next time it rains????

betsy&david Harrison
08-18-2005, 01:43 PM
I might accept that! You'd love me as a teacher..no homework! PE is to find an activity you like and DO IT!

ssippiriverrat
08-18-2005, 02:20 PM
This makes me give a rats a$$ about the gas prices..this is priceless..

True that.

shepherd
08-18-2005, 02:41 PM
I might accept that! You'd love me as a teacher..no homework! PE is to find an activity you like and DO IT!

I'd love to have you as my PE teacher! Field trips to the lake every Friday!!!! :woohoo:

betsy&david Harrison
08-18-2005, 02:49 PM
45 to 50 kids a class sucks though.

MasterMason
08-18-2005, 03:57 PM
Ok whoever is the smartone of the bunch, figure out a way to make something run on old french fry grease. Like out of a deepfryer.

They actually have this now, I saw it on the food chanel, there is a company that makes frozen food, I can't remember the name, but they run their company cares on the used cooking oil. Bright yellow VW bugs with the company logo on it.

3event
08-18-2005, 05:33 PM
There have been vehicles that run on used veg and other oil for a while. Some give Jane Fonda a call, I read she was doing a coast-to-coast tour to protest the Iraq war in a bus fueled by used vegetable oil.

category: people with too much time and money on their hands
answer: who is jane fonda

BriEOD
08-18-2005, 10:04 PM
*** is right!! I just left the pump on my way home from the river. $90 between the Expedition and the boat. ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

MarkP
08-18-2005, 10:12 PM
*** is right!! I just left the pump on my way home from the river. $90 between the Expedition and the boat. ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:Suck it up my brother.. Its not gettin better:mad:

SKI*MC
08-18-2005, 10:20 PM
the Arabs are laughing all the way to the bank!

milkmania
08-18-2005, 10:46 PM

we could use ......
old popcorn oil:popcorn:

did you smell that MC that just went by?
mmmmmmm good

erkoehler
08-18-2005, 11:40 PM
*** is right!! I just left the pump on my way home from the river. $90 between the Expedition and the boat. ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Yesterday, I dropped $65 in the truck and $62 in the boat!!!! :eek:

BriEOD
08-19-2005, 06:45 AM
I'm going to cruise by 1600 Pennsylvania Ave today and have a little chat with Dubya. This is crazy.

RickDV
08-19-2005, 08:05 AM
The sign at my neighborhood gas station says "ATM Inside." I think they need to change that to "Home Equity Loans Inside."

MarkP
08-19-2005, 08:07 AM
I'm going to cruise by 1600 Pennsylvania Ave today and have a little chat with Dubya. This is crazy.Let us know how it goes..

BriEOD
08-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Yeah, I'll call you to come bail me out.

MarkP
08-19-2005, 08:16 AM
Yeah, I'll call you to come bail me out.
Ah, I think he is safe.. None can afford the gas to drive over for ďthe little chatĒ

BriEOD
08-19-2005, 08:16 AM
Actually I think he is still at his ranch in Crawford.

MarkP
08-19-2005, 08:38 AM
Suck it up my brother.. Its not gettin better:mad:

BriEOD
08-19-2005, 08:39 AM
I thought I read it will go back down after the summer. It makes you want to run out and buy a Honda Civic.

JEREMY79
08-19-2005, 08:42 AM
I'll bet it never will go down. :mad:

MarkP
08-19-2005, 08:43 AM
I donít think itíll go that far down. Maybe to 2.30 so they can talk about how far itís come down..

BriEOD
08-19-2005, 08:48 AM
It's ridiculous that's for sure.

Ric
08-19-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm going to cruise by 1600 Pennsylvania Ave today and have a little chat with Dubya. This is crazy.
what's can prez do about it?
pull some strat reserves, drill in anwr?

JEREMY79
08-19-2005, 10:59 AM
I donít think itíll go that far down. Maybe to 2.30 so they can talk about how far itís come down..

take it back to 2.00 and we would all be happy

erkoehler
08-19-2005, 11:00 AM
take it back to 2.00 and we would all be happy

If it goes back to 2.00 I am buying atleast 100 gallon storage container and saving it for summer.

JEREMY79
08-19-2005, 11:11 AM
see what I mean. A few pages back we were bitc hing about 2.00/gal. Now if it went to 2.00 we would all be happy. Just a way for them to get 2.00/gal and us not say anything.

:twocents:

gimmemoedmb
08-19-2005, 01:27 PM
see what I mean. A few pages back we were bitc hing about 2.00/gal. Now if it went to 2.00 we would all be happy. Just a way for them to get 2.00/gal and us not say anything.

:twocents:

My thoughts exactly. I've been telling my brother that for awhile now. They always jack it up really high and then come down a little so when it comes down everyone is happy but it's still significantly higher than it was before.

rick s.
08-21-2005, 12:26 AM
my personal feeling is that our high gas prices are pretty much here to stay. Do I like it? He** no. Is there anything I can do about it? Same answer. We are very priviledged to live here in the US, gas prices in the ROW are WAY higher than ours.

Am I going to use my boat less? No way. I love the time spent on the water.