PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Prostar Starter question-

2000acr
04-19-2012, 11:37 PM
I last ran my boat a few months ago- the battery was tad low because of no use during the winter- it did sratrt though-

recently, I charged the battery and tryed to start it- it "clicks" one time

With a brand new battery it "clicks" one time-

I turned the key to run- then used a screwdriver to directly contact the points on the starter- it then :clicks: 1 time-

Does this mean the starter just randomly went out- if so

Whats the part number for a starter for a 97 prostar- Its the 275 indmar 350 chevy-

thanks

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
04-19-2012, 11:58 PM
I would check your battery connections first, making sure their clean and tight, also check the ground on the engine block.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-19-2012, 11:58 PM
Sounds like a bad connection. Clean battery connections, ground at block and connection at starter. Could also be a battery issue....what is the voltage of your charged battery?

2000acr
04-20-2012, 01:58 AM
I installed a brand new battery- so thats not it-

The connections at the battery are tight-

the blower and other accessories work- where is the engine ground?

Also- when i touched the 2 starter poimt together with a screwdriver- it clicked again, once-

mikeg205
04-20-2012, 10:08 AM
on my '95 ground is on port side by fuel pump. Heavy gauge black cable bolted to engine. Could have corrosion.

mzimme
04-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Try tapping the starter with a rubber mallet then trying to start it again.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-20-2012, 10:14 AM
I installed a brand new battery- so thats not it-

The connections at the battery are tight-

the blower and other accessories work- where is the engine ground?

Also- when i touched the 2 starter poimt together with a screwdriver- it clicked again, once-

Tight battery connections can be full of corrosion inside. I would remove them and clean them with a battery terminal cleaner.

To find the engine ground, follow the negative cable to it's attachment point on the block.

One rule to keep in mind with any replacement part...........new doesn't mean good. I have seen new bad parts. Not often, but I do know what can happen when one chooses to assume.:rolleyes: